Cheap home alarms

This is a discussion on Cheap home alarms within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in Harbor Freight and they are having a sale on door and window alarms,the kind that has a transmitter with a small magnet ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap home alarms

Cheap home alarms

I was in Harbor Freight and they are having a sale on door and window alarms,the kind that has a transmitter with a small magnet and once the contact is broken sets off a high pitched alarm.They come with batteries and are only $1.00 each,I tried them out and if somebody opens a window or door they will let you know and give you enough time to take cover and confront the threat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

The sooner you know sombody is entering your home the better. A little gadget like this could mean the difference between life or death. After a couple of houses were broken into in my neighborhood I had an alarm system installed on the house. I do sleep better just knowing I will be alerted before somebody is standing over my bed.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    --Thomas Jefferson

“We are not retreating—we are advancing in another direction.”
    General Douglas MacArthur

I'm with jerm1109

AMH
    Harbor Freight is known for cheap stuff. You get what you pay for and this one dollar gizmo is no different.

If I where going to put in a system I would bite the bullet and do it right.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Heh...I prefer the alarm that bites.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I've got a couple of these and they work just fine at a very low cost. Not everyone can afford an alarm system and the monthly fee that goes with it. I also have two chocolate labs that work even better at alerting me. You can also get a little door wedge from I think Cheaper Than Dirt. If someone tries to open your bedroom door it wedges it so it won't open and also activates a similar high pitched alarm. Simple things like these are really very good.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    I once bought my kiddo something like this for his apartment. It was supposed to stay in place with the "self" adhering glue.

When it fell of during the second night it scared the blankity etc. out of him.

I think this sort of gadget can be useful, but be sure it is properly secured to the door and frame---otherwise, you can get the worst imaginable scare short of the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think this sort of gadget can be useful, but be sure it is properly secured to the door and frame---otherwise, you can get the worst imaginable scare short of the real deal.
    ...eh chalk it up to "real life training" and change your underwear (probably have to throw those ones out).
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I once bought my kiddo something like this for his apartment. It was supposed to stay in place with the "self" adhering glue.

When it fell of during the second night it scared the blankity etc. out of him.

That was my main concern, that they were not securely fastened to the window. I suppose, I could rig something up where they are screwed in somehow. I am still looking for the unit that does that...at a reasonable price. Let me know if you find one.

(I suppose, too, it would help if I didn't forget to close and lock the window before I go to bed, eh? )
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    What I have been thinking about is just using the old fashioned method of a broom handle stick wedged vertically between the lower window sash and the upper window sill plate. This will absolutely prevent anyone opening the window without breaking it first. Breaking glass is loud enough to wake you up.

For doors, use something similar to the above method using something that makes a loud alarm noise when the circuit is interrupted. Doors are usually a burglers favorite entry method and sticks dont work very well to keep a door from being forced open or locks picked for entry.

Also, try looking at Laser Shield alarm system. Supposedly is under $250 for a setup that can protect an entire apartment. I have not looked myself so take this with a grain of salt.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I've got a couple of these and they work just fine at a very low cost. Not everyone can afford an alarm system and the monthly fee that goes with it. I also have two chocolate labs that work even better at alerting me. You can also get a little door wedge from I think Cheaper Than Dirt. If someone tries to open your bedroom door it wedges it so it won't open and also activates a similar high pitched alarm. Simple things like these are really very good.
    The only thing I'd be worried about that is how exactly it works and would you remember to remove it or have time to remove it if you HAD to get out of the bedroom in the middle of the night (ie fire, hurricane, tornado, insert disaster of choice here).

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Save the money you'd spend on the alarm system...spend it on dog food.
    You'll have a trusting friend and a better alarm...one that will sound 'before' the window opens.

Stay armed...use a bark alarm...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was kinda surprised that even as cheap as they are,they all worked outta the package and I been playing around with them and they been flawless so far,I think I will do daily tests and then if they hold up weekly to make sure they're still working,I do have a dog but shes getting old and I gotta yell at her to wake her up,Chocolate Lab and going on 12 now I will have to get me another younger pup to take over security but since I can't hunt like I use to I will go to the dog shelter and look at the dogs that need a good home,they seem to be the most loyal and grateful
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My Pit Bull is the best alarm system that I can own.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by rdoggsilva View Post
    My Pit Bull is the best alarm system that I can own.
    Same here... She doesn't growl or bark much if at all unless she's really sensing something and then just the growl alone is enough to wake the dead.

-The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links