Illegal To Take Photo Of LEO In Tennessee? - Page 2

Illegal To Take Photo Of LEO In Tennessee?

This is a discussion on Illegal To Take Photo Of LEO In Tennessee? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by cdwolf What would be a proper use of these law? here is what you guys are missing, the color and intent of ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Illegal To Take Photo Of LEO In Tennessee?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    What would be a proper use of these law?
    here is what you guys are missing, the color and intent of both the law and photographer.
    If an LEO is out in public, yes, he is subject to be photographed like anyone else. However, in a lot of states, its illegal to specifically target LEO as subjects of the picture without their consent.
    Here's why and I happen to be a perfect example of the purpose of this law; I am now currently assigned to road patrol. I drive around in uniform like everyone thinks of when they think LEO. A month ago, is was undercover involved in nasty underworld stuff. 6 months from now, I might get pulled back out of road patrol and be back in a undercover role again doing whatever. I'm on a narcotics raid team. I target and arrest high level drug dealers and other criminals on a daily basis. Do you really think I want a bunch of photo's I don't know about floating around of me in uniform? No.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    I am also interested in why civil servants are protected from public scrutiny while performing their duties.
    And police officers are not civil servants. Its a common misconception.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    And police officers are not civil servants. Its a common misconception.
    In what way? Technically, anyone on the public payroll is serving the public in the general sense. In that sense, all are public servants. For a wage, yes. In a specific role, sure. But, holding a public position doing a task paid by the people.

Or, do you mean: voted in by the people?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    A civil servant is a political post or position, I.E. the Sheriff would be a civil servant, but not the deputies.

In Europe, any public employee is considered a civil servant, but not in the U.S. That is reserved for elected officials and high ranking appointees.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Semantics. The original references were made in the general sense, of public duties paid by the public.

I don't think It's gonna fly in court,you can claim anything you want but it is not illegal to take videos or photos of police officers in public,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I don't think It's gonna fly in court,you can claim anything you want but it is not illegal to take videos or photos of police officers in public,
    Your right, it won't fly unless they can prove that the officer was specifically targeted as the subject of the photo, and the photo was going to be used for a sinister purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Semantics. The original references were made in the general sense, of public duties paid by the public.
    It might seem to be close to semantics, but a police officer doesn't work for the public directly, he works for the court or the publics interest at large. The officers superiors (political officials such as the mayor, city clowncil trustees depending on the type of government in that particular bailiwick) are the civil servants. Without getting into a long civics discussion, it would be a conflict for an officer to enforce the law impartially if he worked directly for the public;
    and thats why I feel its important to point out that LEOs are not in fact civil servants.
    "Just blame Sixto"

here is what you guys are missing, the color and intent of both the law and photographer.
    If an LEO is out in public, yes, he is subject to be photographed like anyone else. However, in a lot of states, its illegal to specifically target LEO as subjects of the picture without their consent.
    Here's why and I happen to be a perfect example of the purpose of this law; I am now currently assigned to road patrol. I drive around in uniform like everyone thinks of when they think LEO. A month ago, is was undercover involved in nasty underworld stuff. 6 months from now, I might get pulled back out of road patrol and be back in a undercover role again doing whatever. I'm on a narcotics raid team. I target and arrest high level drug dealers and other criminals on a daily basis. Do you really think I want a bunch of photo's I don't know about floating around of me in uniform? No.
    That's the risk you take being a police officer.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

That's why most Officers on special operations units doing drug arrests and undercover stuff wear face masks to hide their identitys from people that would take their picture to post on websites that could jeopardise them during an undercover operation,A lot of departments do officer swaps from other counties and sometimes states for undercover work due to there is less chance of them ever seeing anybody that has seen them in uniform
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yes, it is. These types of laws minimize the risk
    Can you be more specific about these laws? What states have them and most importantly, does the state of the OP have them?

If it is so illegal to do so, how come they are continually showing up in newspapers and on TV, such as at crime scenes?
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Can you be more specific about these laws? What states have them and most importantly, does the state of the OP have them?

If it is so illegal to do so, how come they are continually showing up in newspapers and on TV, such as at crime scenes?
    Google is your friend, it works for you the same as it does for me. I dont know specifically about PA, but start by searching "Peace Officer Confidentiality" Have fun reading!

They are done with consent or the LEO is not the subject of the photo, the accident scene is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Actually, this law is on a lot of books for a good reason, but it doesnt seem that this officer is acting under the proper intent or color of the law.
    Again---requesting verifiable text or links. I usually back up my information likewise. Why should I have to Google it?

Precedent for the right of people to peaceably record the public actions they witness: Robinson v. Fetterman, conviction overturned July, 2005.

Conviction by the local judge was overturned at the U.S. District Court level.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Why should I have to Google it?
    because you want the information.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Again---requesting verifiable text or links. I usually back up my information likewise. Why should I have to Google it?
    Slashdot | Citizen Photographers v. The Police?
    The first link that came up, several after it. Sixto is right, folks, photography of "public servants" as many like to consider them (including Fire, EMS and LE) has led to murder and threatening of families in more than a few instances. I understand and agree with many of you in limited context however (below).

"Well that's the risk you take..." is as intellectually vain and dishonest as the California freaks who wanted firemen arrested for not taking greater efforts to save animals during the wildfires.

Taking a pic of a cop driving by, talking to your best friend= cool. Taking a pic (preferrably surreptitiously) because you're pretty sure something is untoward= cool. Taking a pic because you feel dissed and putting it on youtube, or sharing the pic and the officers patrol area with your homies= uncool. The contexts are fairly clear, if one thinks about it. In the case referenced, I think the officer is (justifiably) going to "have a really bad day."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links