Illegal To Take Photo Of LEO In Tennessee?

This is a discussion on Illegal To Take Photo Of LEO In Tennessee? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Man Arrested For Unlawful Photography | TriCities Nearly everyone carries a cell phone and it’s hard to find one without that camera feature. It’s convenient ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Man Arrested For Unlawful Photography | TriCities

Nearly everyone carries a cell phone and it’s hard to find one without that camera feature. It’s convenient when you want to take that impromptu photo, but a Tri-Cities area man ended up behind bars after snapping a shot of a Johnson County sheriff’s deputy during a traffic stop.

The cell phone photographer says the arrest was intimidation, but the deputy says he feared for his life.

“Here’s a guy who takes me out of the car and arrests me in front of my kids. For what? To take a picture of a police officer?” said Scott Conover.

A Johnson County sheriff’s deputy arrested Scott Conover for unlawful photography.

“He says you took a picture of me. It’s illegal to take a picture of a law enforcement officer,” said Conover.

Conover took a picture of a sheriff’s deputy on the side of the road on a traffic stop. Conover was stunned by the charge.

“This is a public highway,” said Conover.

And it was not a place where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy as Tennessee code states. The deputy also asked Conover to delete the picture three times.

“He said if you don’t give it to me, you’re going to jail,” said Conover.

Under the advice of the Johnson County attorney, the sheriff would not comment and the arresting deputy said he didn’t want to incriminate himself by talking to us.

In an affidavit, the deputy said he saw something black with a red light which he thought was a threat. Conover was also arrested for pointing a laser at a law enforcement officer.

“At no time did I have a laser. I had an iPhone,” said Conover.

When you take a picture in the dark with Conover’s Apple iPhone, there is no flash or any light that comes from the phone that could be mistaken for a laser.

In a witness statement by a Mountain City officer, is says the deputy asked about the picture rather than looking for a laser.

“If you arrested me, wouldn’t you take the laser? If you arrested me, wouldn’t you take the camera?” said Conover.

He expects these charges to be dismissed.

“This guy maliciously arrested me, charging me with phony charges that he don’t even understand himself,” Conover said.

The American Civil Liberties Union would not comment on Conover’s case without fully reviewing the allegations, but told us there is no law that prohibits anyone from taking photographs in public areas, even of police. Taking photos is protected by the First Amendment. Conover is ordered to appear in a Johnson County court on August 6th.
    Wow, what was this officer thinking?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Sounds to me like he was having a bad day, and that guy just picked the wrong day to snap his picture...
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    Sounds to me like he was having a bad day, and that guy just picked the wrong day to snap his picture...
    If unlawful arrest is that officer's answer to a bad day then he needs a new profession.

I'm gonna sit back and watch this one.

Biker

Oh boy this could get good. Someone keep us informed if possible!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

In an affidavit, the deputy said he saw something black with a red light which he thought was a threat.
    "Something black with a red light" and found that threatening. In the absence of any corroborating facts, how could an unknown, unspecified black/red thingy be considered threatening?

He's a citizen in his own country, on publicly-owned property taking a photo of an officer of a public agency who's executing a public task. Yet, he's arrested with the claimed infraction of: illegal photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Wow, what was this officer thinking?
    Seemingly, that he had more power and authority than he does, to treat citizens in such a manner.

For these and similar reasons, the original colonists rebelled and decided enough was enough. A new country was formed to help ensure such malarkey was not pulled on the people. Yet, it continues.

These same sort of ridiculous chest-pounding charges get flung around in Oregon, too.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Anyone in public, in a public place is subject to being photographed. Just remember that. Nothing illegal about it. One word in this case---lawsuit. Plain and simple.

Administrator
    Actually, this law is on a lot of books for a good reason, but it doesnt seem that this officer is acting under the proper intent or color of the law.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hold on, I think we have a call...

Yep, the ref called it...

And the call is...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Anyone in public, in a public place is subject to being photographed. Just remember that. Nothing illegal about it. One word in this case---lawsuit. Plain and simple.
    +1 to Ramrod. This is how it is in my state, California

Actually, this law is on a lot of books for a good reason
    Please post text and or links to this info.
    Taking photos is protected by the First Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Actually, this law is on a lot of books for a good reason, but it doesnt seem that this officer is acting under the proper intent or color of the law.
    What would be a proper use of these law?
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I wonder if the infraction was 37-1-155(a)(1), photographing a juvenile during investigation? Or, perhaps because he thought the photographer would get off on the pics (39-13-607)? Hm. Curiouser and curiouser.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I am also interested in why civil servants are protected from public scrutiny while performing their duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    I am also interested in why civil servants are protected from public scrutiny while performing their duties.
    They aren't, legally speaking.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links