LEO's Over The Line In Irving, TX?

This is a discussion on LEO's Over The Line In Irving, TX? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Kerbouchard For somebody to get arrested for their D.L. address not matching their residence I find idiotic. I do agree with you ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEO's Over The Line In Irving, TX?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    For somebody to get arrested for their D.L. address not matching their residence I find idiotic.
    I do agree with you on this one, as I understand you have a year to change it. But we all know people, as you have stated, that don't. Now Military service I don't think counts, but still I find jail a little over the top.

I can see a earning, I can see a ticket but it stops there. I wonder if there is more to this part of the story?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

I think the law is---

The not having proof of insurance I understand. She should have been arrested, and I'm glad she was.

For somebody to get arrested for their D.L. address not matching their residence I find idiotic. My D.L. did not match my residence for all of 6 years(the entire time I was in the service). And some people do not have permanent residences(like an RV owner). If that is actually a law, it's ridiculous.

As far as the lack of insurance, I do believe that should result in the car being impounded and the driver arrested.
    I think the actual law in Texas is that if you don't have insurance, a ticket is written. It will then be dismissed when you show the clerk of court that you indeed had insurance at the time.

So merely not having the insurance card in your possession should absolutely NEVER be cause for arrest unless the officer knows for a fact that there is no insurance whatsoever.

SD commented about an incident in which he was forced to follow the cops to downtown Littletown. I'm sure the law varies from state to state but I know for a fact that in Iowa they may not arrest for these minor infractions. That law was put into force there when a school teacher was arrested for a minor traffic matter and the kids in her charge were left unattended. Needless to say the legislature (to say nothing of the Governor and Mayor of the day) had a fit.

Other states have similar statutes.

I don't know the discretion that Texas cops might have in these matters, but these guys (based on what has been presented here) showed gross lack of judgment. There is no excuse.

(I seem to recall a vigorous campaign by Triple A back in the late 1960s to put an end to these sort of practices as a matter of protecting the ordinary motoring public. Because, folks would wind up in the local establishment, far from home, in a different state, and with no way to get out. My recollection is that most if not all states passed a uniform model statute on this subject. IANAL, just going on my recollection which could be flawed.)

I wonder how much of this was a publicity stunt possibly ordered from higher up.

North Texas, in general, is tired of illegals, especially illegals driving without insurance. The choice of the two to be arrested might be something similiar to the fact that I get 'randomly' selected for a screening everytime I am in an airport. White guy, clean cut, in uniform...probably not going to cause trouble.

By starting this out with two white women, and ensuring it gets publicity, it might give the department an 'out' when the next 20 or 2000 are Hispanic.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I wonder how much of this was a publicity stunt possibly ordered from higher up.

North Texas, in general, is tired of illegals, especially illegals driving without insurance. The choice of the two to be arrested might be something similiar to the fact that I get 'randomly' selected for a screening everytime I am in an airport. White guy, clean cut, in uniform...probably not going to cause trouble.

By starting this out with two white women, and ensuring it gets publicity, it might give the department an 'out' when the next 20 or 2000 are Hispanic.
    You actually think this...some comspiracy...and they are that smart to boot?

Rick

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    My line of work prejudices me a little bit here, but FWIW, IF the story is reported accurately (no one knows what the officers involved have to say, and their story could b e QUITE a bit different), then, while legally permissible, it's a HORRIBLY inefficient use (misallocation...mal-allocation?) of LE resources, time, jail space, etc.

The LEO's on the board would probably agree, esp. the small-town guys who have to fight like hell just to get a taxpayer-funded box of cartridges with which to practice and who don't put in for overtime ('cause their town can't afford it).

If reported accurately, it's truly one of those "don't they have anything else better to do?" situations.

If the answer is "yes", then they should damn well be doing them, whatever they are.

If the answer is "no", then that city needs to lessen the taxpayer burden a bit.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Back in 2005 Senate Bill 1670 established a financial responsibility verification program that gives the Texas Department of Public Safety, the Texas Department of Transportation and the Texas Department of Information the resources and authority to verify motoristsí compliance with the Motor Vehicle Responsibility Act.

Once the program begins, drivers without insurance will be ticketed and fined. The fine for a first offense is a minimum of $175 and a maximum of $350. Fines increase on the second and third offenses from $350 to $1,000. Third offenders could lose their driverís licenses and have their vehicles impounded. Those who fail to pay their fines may be arrested. Uninsured drivers also may be required to pay an additional $250 to the state for three years.

Checking on uninsured motorists in Texas - San Antonio local news and shopping at ClickitSA.com

Texas House of Representatives

So it would appear there may be more to this story that we are being told, or it could just be 2 LEO who need to ratchet it down a bit; we may never know.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    You actually think this...some comspiracy...and they are that smart to boot?

Rick
    No, I don't think it's conspiratorial at all. I'm just thinking the Irving PD is thinking about getting together an old-time round up; with a trail drive...straight south!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    No, I don't think it's conspiratorial at all. I'm just thinking the Irving PD is thinking about getting together an old-time round up; with a trail drive...straight south!
    No argument with the result South...just think such a scenario would be a smoke screen clearly seen through.

Rick

That's what THEY want you to think...

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I think drivers who do not have auto insurance should have their cars impounded. Why should we have to pay for uninsured motorist coverage for them??? If my vehicle gets damaged by an uninsured driver, I should be able to go to their house & pack up enough of their stuff to cover the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    I should be able to go to their house & pack up enough of their stuff to cover the damage.
    Maybe I can get hit by someone with a nice gun safe, that should just about cover my bumper

-Paco

Actually receiving a citation is a form of arrest. And yes, a LEO can arrest you rather than just give you a citation at the scene and release you. It's not common, but it is well within our discretion to do so...
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Bingo!!! They started to deport all illegals in the Irving city jail about that same time. I live in DFW area and poeple are tired of them and as a direct result Irving started there round up. The city of Carrolton (sub of Dallas) if i remember right, tried to pass a city ordinance to prevent landlords from renting to illegals.

Quote Originally Posted by russy View Post
    Bingo!!! They started to deport all illegals in the Irving city jail about that same time. I live in DFW area and poeple are tired of them and as a direct result Irving started there round up. The city of Carrolton (sub of Dallas) if i remember right, tried to pass a city ordinance to prevent landlords from renting to illegals.
    Farmer's Branch, which is almost the same place. It was hung up in court, but the councilman who started it is now the Mayor of Farmer's Branch.

It is getting out of hand, has been out of hand for some time now.

-Paco

There are billboards up all over the Houston area warning people what is going to happen if they get stopped without insurance. Pasadena ( you all remember Pasadena right? ) for the last few months has had a zero tollerance policy on uninsured vehicles. I don't believe they are taking all of the operators into custody but they are impounding all of the vehicles.

Do I have any sympathy for these ladies? Nope.
    Proof of insurance is required for a reason. Having your license showing your correct current address is required for a reason. Operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway is a privilege, not a right. In order to enjoy that privilege they agreed to do certain things. They failed to do those things. They also demonstrated their lack of knowledge of traffic laws or their willingness to obey them. If it is too much trouble for them to do these little things, I think they got what they deserved.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links