LEO's Over The Line In Irving, TX?

This is a discussion on LEO's Over The Line In Irving, TX? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Hopyard I think the actual law in Texas is that if you don't have insurance, a ticket is written. It will then ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEO's Over The Line In Irving, TX?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think the actual law in Texas is that if you don't have insurance, a ticket is written. It will then be dismissed when you show the clerk of court that you indeed had insurance at the time.
    So merely not having the insurance card in your possession should absolutely NEVER be cause for arrest unless the officer knows for a fact that there is no insurance whatsoever.
    I don't know the discretion that Texas cops might have in these matters, but these guys (based on what has been presented here) showed gross lack of judgment. There is no excuse.
    first of all, I'm willing to bet we haven't heard the whole story

next, the only things that a person can absolutely NOT be arrested for in Texas is speeding and open container; everything else can be cause for arrest-though most of the time Class c misdemeanors are ticketed as the insurance violation you speak of, just depends on what all has happened with the persons and the stop

and Paco, in Texas you have 30 days to get your DL changed
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

Most folks are totally unaware of how much discretionary authority police officers really have, if they decide to use it. And, like it or not, the court will always give the officer the benefit of doubt as to the reasonableness of his actions.

That's why the old advice is always to be sure you pass the "attitude test".

YouTube - chris rock

I bet he sounded real big in the squad room with that story....Yeh I had an arrest last night....a women with no proff of insurance.....
    I'm sure were not hearing the whole story either.....good or bad...
    Being in Law Enforcement I use my time looking for more crimes that effects my community , that I called to serve......

Quote Originally Posted by Murexway View Post
    Most folks are totally unaware of how much discretionary authority police officers really have, if they decide to use it. And, like it or not, the court will always give the officer the benefit of doubt as to the reasonableness of his actions.

That's why the old advice is always to be sure you pass the "attitude test".

YouTube - chris rock

Hadn't seen this vid...pretty funny!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I remember a few years ago, a guy in my town was cuffed and stuffed for for putting a paper towel in the dumpster behind a 7-11. Spent 4 hrs. in the slammer.
    Turns out it's against the law to put anything in a dumpster if it's not yours. I'm sure that cop was within his rights also. Whatever happened to common sense?
    Someday that cop may need a citizen's help, and do you really want that citizen thinking, "I wonder if that's the cop who arrested me?"

The rest of the story:

In Florida no documented insurance will at the very least gets you a notice to appear in court to document your auto insurance, and the officer has the authority to impound your auto, until you come up with proof of insurance.

As to wrong address on your drivers license.

I know the state of Florida Department of Law Enforcement has issued advisories to not release citizens they have stopped even for routine traffic stops, until there identity has been confirmed, but thankfully in most cases, that only takes a couple minutes.

Long story short, I would be very willing to bet these women where being verbally abusive, and got what they where asking for.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

Long story short, I would be very willing to bet these women where being verbally abusive, and got what they where asking for.
    This is more likely than not, as it is very costly to lock someone up, especially on a trivial charge. Most, if not all L.E. agencies will avoid doing this because of the cost involved... but sometimes you just have too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    it is very costly to lock someone up,sometimes you just have too.
    I'm surprised he didn't tazer them too.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I'm surprised he didn't tazer them too.
    Why? There is no indication of a resisting charge. I just read about a bitchy soccer mom who is crying because she broke the law and was jailed for it. She continues to cry because she had to put on jail clothes while in jail.

Was it overboard? On the surface it certainly seems to be. But like I pointed out before, I'm sure there is a lot more to the story.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Interesting. As AD military, I have a license from my home state. The license on the actual license is in that state. However, the address on file with the DMV is my current physical address. (They don't issue a new license.) How much trouble can I get in?
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Interesting. As AD military, I have a license from my home state. The license on the actual license is in that state. However, the address on file with the DMV is my current physical address. (They don't issue a new license.) How much trouble can I get in?
    Depends on the state. Most just require you to have your correct address on file, and it doesn't matter what it says on the card, others want both.
    "Just blame Sixto"

First ,I hate the press ,this is one of the reasons.
    Have you ever been watching TV and saw a reporter
    give a report and let the person finish talking--NO!!
    They never let a person tell their whole story
    They tell it for them
    Keep this in mind when you hear a story like this
    It makes a better STORY for the PRESS !!
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Your divers license can be from your home of record, and you don't have to change your tag to the state your currently in, but your allowed to change both if you like.

I would think your military "ID" card will verify your "ID" and that should be good enough. But who knows
    Last edited by tns0038; August 8th, 2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: quote error

What this proves is that it is far past time for the People to start scaling back the 'authority' given to the Law community. I am willing to bet that the majority of Americans don't realize that this can be accomplished in a fairly civil manor. I have heard people complaining about the heavy handedness of the Law but I never seem to see them at the local board meetings. When the people are not involved with the processes of government directly affecting them this is what you get.....and far worse in many areas. In order to force a true change at the top a foundation must be laid to support it.
    Safety is the excuse...revenue generation it the only and actual true reason for this over bearing 'traffic' enforcement.

First off, I have to say, that there is almost certainly more to the story than what is reported... With that said, I have no opinion on the arrest.

If on the other hand, the story is exactly correct with all the facts correctly stated, then I will only say that while it is within the officers discretion to make an arrest, I would think they showed a little lack of judgment in the cases.

Way back in my younger years, I flew under the radar often regarding occasional expired plates for a couple months, expired license, and insurance issues. And I was totally vulnerable and at risk for the full consequences of the law and knew what that meant.

Now I am older, more stable in my life, stable income and all around law abiding citizen. I don't drive with contraband in my car, I pay my taxes including my vehicle taxes, my car is licensed and fully insured with proof in the vehicle and my ID and DL are accurate and up to date. All my tail lights and blinkers work and when one burns out, I replace it immediately. Always! No exception!

And you know what? I drive the roads carefree and without fear of any run-in's with the law. Doesn't matter what state I'm in or just a few blocks from home. I realize the work LEO's must do and the absolute idiots they deal with day in and day out on the roads... My goal is to help them conduct their business in a safe and courteous manner and be on my way.

I get pulled over for a slow rolling incomplete stop at a stop sign and the cops wants to search my car because "he smells the odor of pot," Ok, have at it. You're going to play that game, knock yourself out. I sure as hell am not going to argue with him, because if he's playing that lame game, I know right off the bat, am not going to win by arguing with him at the side of the road.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links