LEO's Over The Line In Irving, TX?

This is a discussion on LEO's Over The Line In Irving, TX? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Women warn of 'nightmare' traffic stops in Irving | WFAA.com | Local News: TV IRVING - Those driving down the road without an insurance card ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEO's Over The Line In Irving, TX?

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Women warn of 'nightmare' traffic stops in Irving | WFAA.com | Local News: TV

IRVING - Those driving down the road without an insurance card of driver's license with a correct address may find themselves in jail if they get pulled over by Irving police.

In fact, it happened to two women who were pulled over by the same two Irving cops last weekend. Both women said their traffic stops turned into a nightmare.

Mikki Stokes, of Irving, said she was headed to the store for some sour cream when she was stopped by two Irving police officers.

She was initially stopped for not making a complete stop when exiting the parking lot. Stokes second offense was that her current address was not on her Texas driver's license. However, she said she never dreamed that those two minor offenses would result in her being cuffed and stuffed into the backend of a squad car.

"And I was like, 'Is this something that someone with no criminal record would get arrested for, that's never been in trouble for anything [and] that's not a persistent offender?" she said. "I've never been in trouble before. Why are you arresting me for this? And they were like, 'We can arrest you for anything.'"

Two hours later it was Leanna Onstott, of Fort Worth, who became the next target of the same two officers.

"And he said, 'You are under arrest,'" she said of when she was pulled over without have proper proof of insurance in her car. "And he turned me around and put handcuffs on me and I was just like, 'Is this really happening? I mean, can they do this?'"

Onstott was originally pulled over for creeping her car past the pedestrian crossing line.

Neither woman had outstanding warrants or had ever been to jail. Yet, Stokes said she spent two hours behind bars. Onstott said she spent five hours in jail before posting a $600 bond. However, none of that was what Onstott said was the worst part of her arrest.

"They asked me to take off my clothes," she said.

Onstott was then forced to put on jail clothes.

Both women have filed internal affairs complaints against the two Irving officers Daniels and McPherson. While Irving police officials said their concerns are being taken seriously and will be thoroughly investigated, they also said the officers were within their rights to make the arrests.

"The discretion that was used, the decision to make the arrests, it's well within their authority to do that," said David Tull, with the Irving Police Department. ".... I don't know that you could say it's common, but it's not unheard of."

Regardless of how the investigation turns out, both women said their faith in Irving police has been shattered.

"I think if someone can't get them to stop abusing power and pulling people over and doing stuff like this because they think they have the right to, then they don't need to be in that job," Stokes said.

Onstott warned motorists that as long as officers can arrest whoever they want for what they want, Irving is not a desirable place to drive.

"I just want to know why they didn't give me a ticket," she said. "The public needs to know that it's happening and it could happen to them if it happened to me."
    Seems a pretty petty thing to arrest someone for. It doesn't sound like either of the women resisted, but then we are only hearing one side of the story.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I can see tickets...but arrest? It does end up with "Regardless of how the investigation turns out, both women said their faith in Irving police has been shattered."

Rick

Yeah, I am sure that this is the WHOLE story...
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

How can you ticket someone whose identity you cannot confirm? I always though no proper license was a misdemeanor, but thought no insurance was only a civil infraction. It would suck if it happened to me, but I'm not terribly upset about the no license deal. The no proof of insurance? I think a ticket should be sufficient. Especially because if you can't afford $100/month for insurance, it really hurts to get a $250 fine.

Then there is that missing other side of the story: Fair chance that these chicks were being real (expletives).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member

Or not

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    How can you ticket someone whose identity you cannot confirm? I always though no proper license was a misdemeanor, but thought no insurance was only a civil infraction. It would suck if it happened to me, but I'm not terribly upset about the no license deal. The no proof of insurance? I think a ticket should be sufficient. Especially because if you can't afford $100/month for insurance, it really hurts to get a $250 fine.

Then there is that missing other side of the story: Fair chance that these chicks were being real (expletives).
    Or not. Every now and again there are well publicized stories of one official or another using abysmal judgment--that is, acting dumb as dirt and like a turd too.

Bet when they look into this they find there is a law somewhere that prohibits arrests for such minor infractions when nothing else is going on too.

There are ways to id someone besides a DL. People today carry multiple forms of ID; everything from a SAM's card to credit card.
    If the name matches the plates, there is no need for an arrest.

At least it didn't escalate into other "trumped up charges" of resisting.

Or, the favorite around here, they found half a pill of a controlled substance and it wasn't in a bottle with the original prescription.

Be careful out there you Texans. Make sure you don't have your license plate holder with Aggie logo on your plates. With "cops" like this you could find yourself in the clink--- and in Austin yet. And wearing an orange jump suit. With a picture of Bevo.

(Some of that will be lost on non-Texans; it is ....never mind, you either get it or you don't.)

There are definitely ways to ID people and usually advising them to upgrade their address on their license and carrying an insurance card /with issuing citations for the offenses is what officers normally do,then you have some Police Officers that do abuse the authority they are entrusted with,and they get backed up by their superiors.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Hard to have the twin goals of (a) avoiding a "Papers Please!" society and (b) identifying and removing undocumented folks who are not supposed to be here.

It seems to me that actually avoiding being undocumented was within the control of these folks. Given the region, and given the scrutiny of undocumented folks, these folks (who were picked up) weren't thinking too clearly about things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    It is interesting how some take for granted the grace provided by law enforcement to give you a ticket rather than hauling you into jail. It is an arrest either way.

A few decades ago I was caught for speeding in Texas and I was forced to follow the officer into his little small town and come before the judge. I, too, asked him to give me a ticket. But I didn't whine and complain either. I was found guilty and paid the fine.

Some think that if they break 'small laws' that they should not be inconvenienced in the slightest.

Should the cops have reacted like that? I don't know. If you break the law then you have to deal with the conseuences. Hopefully, in a mature, adult manner.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Some think that if they break 'small laws' that they should not be inconvenienced in the slightest.
    In a society that routinely gives 'celebrity' convicts time to report to jail at their own leisure for much more serious offenses?

Damned straight I do.

Cops have got better things to do with their time than to haul somebody in for minor infractions, and the typical citizen making a small mistake deserves a lot more respect than this situation suggests. And lastly, most minor vehicle infractions exists as money-making schemes for the city or state. The fine is more than enough 'punishment'.

(All this assuming the story is accurate as reported and the arrested women were not, in fact, being particularly abusive to the officers.)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Lead Moderator
    REMINDER: LEO bashing is not allowed on the forum.
    While these LEOs may be over the line, perhaps there is more to the story (either good or bad).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Money-money-money-money-------mmmmoney

Wow!! I guess the ladies should make sure that they follow any/all laws to the letter, does seem like a case of over reaction considering the offenses, however there may be more to the story.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Geeze! Just like a woman driver...
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

They have been advertising this a lot lately here in N. TX, so anyone who has a radio, TV, or newspaper should not be too surprised. They, Irving PD, are impounding cars with no insurance.

Some have called foul as it appears to some as an attempt to round up illegals, which the Irving Police have been gotten on to about, I mean how dare they ask for someone's ID and try to find out what laws they are breaking , which IMHO doesn't fall under illegal search and seizure, as long as there was a valid reason for the stop.

Other than the occasional numbskull shooting himself while scratching his back with his revolver, we don't screw around in TX.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

The not having proof of insurance I understand. She should have been arrested, and I'm glad she was.

For somebody to get arrested for their D.L. address not matching their residence I find idiotic. My D.L. did not match my residence for all of 6 years(the entire time I was in the service). And some people do not have permanent residences(like an RV owner). If that is actually a law, it's ridiculous.

As far as the lack of insurance, I do believe that should result in the car being impounded and the driver arrested.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links