Officer wrecks squad car 29 minutes into job

This is a discussion on Officer wrecks squad car 29 minutes into job within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Title is misleading (I didn't write it), but the story is kind of funny... HOBART, Ind. - Police officer Tim Pochron's first day on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officer wrecks squad car 29 minutes into job

Administrator

Officer wrecks squad car 29 minutes into job

Title is misleading (I didn't write it), but the story is kind of funny...

HOBART, Ind. - Police officer Tim Pochron's first day on the job went poorly: Less than a half-hour into it, his squad car was wrecked in a crash.
    Pochron was inside his house at 12:29 a.m. Monday when someone hit his new squad car parked outside, as well as a tree, police said.

"Pochron was 29 minutes into the first day of his new job when his parked squad car was struck," Lt. Steve Houck said.

The driver tested positive for drugs, was arrested and taken to a hospital, police said.

Pochron, 26, was sworn in last week. He was supposed to work the morning shift Monday. Instead, he spent the morning filling out paperwork at the police station.

The force of the crash bent the rear axle of the squad car. Deputy Chief Jeff White said the car can be repaired, though he's not sure how much it will cost.

Pochron "was just heartbroken," White said
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Wow.

What a way to start your career.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

He's lucky.

Now he just needs to get in to a fight and a shoot-out. Oh wait, we aren't doing that anymore.

Now he needs to attempt to communicate with an aggressive and non-compliant individual determined to do harm to another person and resisting being placed in to proper custody and then have an armed encounter of the scared fecal matterless kind.

God I hate PC writing.

He's lucky, We had a local city cop here fresh out of the Academy get in to a shootout. He survived, I don't remember if the felonious individual did.

Biker

Bet his coworkers found a little this humor in it for him.

That's so not a good start to any shift, much less a career.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

had better first days

heck of a first day. glad to hear that the leo wasn't hurt.
    i'm sure he'll hear about that for awhile.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the Department!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I hope my carreer doesn't start like that *knock on wood*.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    At least he didn't get hurt, I'm sure he won't live that one down for a long time.

When I was working a sales job calling on body shops, I stopped in one shop and they had a police cruiser in there beat all to crap on both sides, front and back, apparently the first year deputy lost control going down a narrow snowy street with parked cars on both sides. He played pin ball all the way down the street, yes, he was the pin ball. The really tragic part was it was the second time they had been asked to fix up that same car, yes, it was the same guy before too. Some people just don't have any luck at all. I never did hear if he stayed with the job or not.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

How could he be 29 minutes into his work day if he had not even left his house. I wonder if they are hiring, sounds like a pretty good job to me.

I guess he will either get a different car, or maybe they will make him walk. Regardless, I am sure it will be a while before the newbie gets to live this down.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    How could he be 29 minutes into his work day if he had not even left his house. I wonder if they are hiring, sounds like a pretty good job to me.

I guess he will either get a different car, or maybe they will make him walk. Regardless, I am sure it will be a while before the newbie gets to live this down.
    Easy answer... He was sworn in the week prior and his first shift was a 1st shift Monday morning. This happened at 0029 6.5 hrs prior to the scheduled 0700 start of his first shift.
    I also doubt he will be punished, as he did not wreck the car, some drunk did when it was parked in front of his house.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ok, I read it wrong I guess, from the title. And no, I didn't mean to suggest that they punish him for the wreck, as obviously it wasn't his fault. Not knowing how big a department it is or if they had another vehicle for him to use.

Maybe just the first 29 minutes of his shift, he should be required to walk a beat. Just for good measure.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Ok, I read it wrong I guess, from the title. And no, I didn't mean to suggest that they punish him for the wreck, as obviously it wasn't his fault. Not knowing how big a department it is or if they had another vehicle for him to use.

Maybe just the first 29 minutes of his shift, he should be required to walk a beat. Just for good measure.
    I feel for the rookie; 3 days after being cut loose from my FTO, I wrecked the LT's car chasing a suspect who just stabbed a lady. It was only sort of my fault; it was pitch black in a brand new subdivision. No street lights, houses or anything yet, just fresh blacktop streets poured earlier the previous day. (I had not been back there yet) I turned a corner onto another street in the same neighborhood and what was there smack in the middle of the road? A telephone pole. No kidding, it didn't even have to jump out in front of me, they poured the road around the pole, the power company had not been out yet to move it.
    We'll just say I did the power companies work for them and removed the pole... and yes, I caught the BG! I had to literally sit on him because I didn't have anything to secure him in until other units got there.

I still get heat over that to this day.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Too bad for him, it's probably like the guys who show up to their first duty station and their Alpha uniform is messed up, it can haunt you for a long time.

I'm sure that pole was in the middle of the road, I believe that
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post

I'm sure that pole was in the middle of the road, I believe that
    It honestly was, they poured the blacktop right around it and several others, with intentions on moving them once construction progressed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Boy, I bet that was a tough phone call to make to dispatch.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links