Wow, What A Dumb Way To Lose Your Job - Daytona Beach, FL - Page 2

Wow, What A Dumb Way To Lose Your Job - Daytona Beach, FL

This is a discussion on Wow, What A Dumb Way To Lose Your Job - Daytona Beach, FL within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by obxned Extortion is still extortion even if you have a badge. I'm left wondering if that is the next step by the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow, What A Dumb Way To Lose Your Job - Daytona Beach, FL

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Extortion is still extortion even if you have a badge.

I'm left wondering if that is the next step by the DA...or even a lawsuit.

Rick

I personally have no issues with people associated with first responder jobs getting benefits from the public. I don't mind when I get a better deal or free stuff when people find out I'm a Marine, it happens, I even got free time at the range for it yesterday. But I don't expect it, and by no means is it required. If the old management gave him free coffee, great, good for him, if the new one doesn't want to, thats their prerogative. They are still paying taxes part of which go to police department funding.

Pretty stupid on his end of the deal, especially threatening them. Glad he is off the force.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    buckeye,

First off, thanks for your service.

I also have no problem if a company offers a discount for military, etc. Being retired military I often ask if they offer a discount. But to go into a business and demand free goods and services is extortion, plain and simple.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I agree completely Mike, its nice when a business does it, but it is by no means mandatory, and it is completely up to the business.

He extorted them, he is currently paying his dues because he didn't want to pay for overpriced bad coffee.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I personally have no issues with people associated with first responder jobs getting benefits from the public.
    I don't have a problem with that either. I regularly pay for the coffee, etc. of people in uniform (live near a Navy base). I honor and respect the service of all in uniform, but when someone makes demands, they become a criminal.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

Accepting gifts can create a perception of corruption. IMO accepting gifts is best left to those who are not in a position of public trust.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    I shake local businesses down all the time for protection money... but for coffee? Thats just unprofessional.

I'm kidding! What a dork, I hope he ends up working at Starbucks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I shake local businesses down all the time for protection money... but for coffee? Thats just unprofessional.

I'm kidding! What a dork, I hope he ends up working at Starbucks.
    I doubt it since Starbucks is closing 600 stores or bistro's or whatever they call them. Maybe that is why they cut off the free coffee.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I doubt it since Starbucks is closing 600 stores or bistro's or whatever they call them. Maybe that is why they cut off the free coffee.
    They used to always offer us free coffee, but cut it off and I don't blame them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I was an LEO the Quik shops all gave us free beverages #1 it meant police officers would stop in during patrols and hang out for a few minutes,this was done after approval by the chief of police and I always offered to pay but they always refused.This guy was totally abusing his authority and if he's extorting coffee what else is he willing to do for a little gratuity
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Most gas stations, coffee houses, and yes donut shops normally like the Leo's to stop in to be seen. The first day of the NYPD acamedy you are taught when you buy anything like coffee, lunch, snack awalys place change back into your pocket without counting it. If the sale person wishes to give you something for nothing that is their choice. you never know who is watching you, them or somebody else in the store. Lets say the item is $1.00 you hand them a 1 dollar bill and the sales clerk gives you back 4 quarters as change, who is to know. But they is something wrong to strong arm your way for free items. Maybe should have used a ski mask so it would be harder to identify .

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    When I was a Shift Lead there, it depended on the manager. Some had a policy of not charging uniformed LEO's, paramedics or firefighters. I remember filling an order of a dozen frappuchinos for the local FD, once. All on the house. Others, everyone paid for everything. But we had a couple of regular guys that would come in every few days and do their paperwork. They insisted on paying so we just told them to toss a few bucks in the tip jar and call it square. They even handled some unruly customers for us on occasion - and no, it wasn't for small stuff (mostly people being loud and vulgar in front of families, etc). But if I had ever had to deal with THAT from an officer? I don't think I would have waited until he left before I called the station house. I don't care if its a joke.. That's not even close to funny when you work the closing shift.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Most gas stations, coffee houses, and yes donut shops normally like the Leo's to stop in to be seen.....

Our local Mom-n-Pop wants that presence of LEO's, EMS, and firefighters......and offers free coffee and fountian drinks. The guy's on duty appreciate it.....and it borders the three main patrol zones so
    our guy stop in. Any breech of trust from those guys and everyone would suffer. One idiot is all it takes, and it's a small enough town here that actions like that would be heard quickly.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have no problem with the free coffee for LEO. I used to get aggravated at the senior citizen's prices but have changed my mind since becoming one. But for any LEO to demand that is like some waiter's demanding a tip when you had to chase them down to get your check or a refill on coffee.

However, when recently denied free coffee from new management, Garvin allegedly told managers that he could change the police department's response time if they refuse to give him complimentary drinks.
    If true, that's tantamount to saying he'd be willing to bet a life on the coffee. Imagine what would happen if a robbery in progress were reported. How much is a life worth, in that town to that guy? A coffee. Hm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links