Defensive Carry banner

Wow, What A Dumb Way To Lose Your Job - Daytona Beach, FL

4K views 53 replies 35 participants last post by  Kerbouchard 
#1 ·
Officer Accused Of Threatening Starbucks Managers For Free Coffee - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- A police lieutenant in Daytona Beach was fired over accusations that he threatened slower emergency response times if he was not given complimentary specialty Starbucks coffee drinks.

An internal police investigation found that Daytona Lt. Major Garvin received free coffee for about two years from a city Starbucks coffee store.

However, when recently denied free coffee from new management, Garvin allegedly told managers that he could change the police department's response time if they refuse to give him complimentary drinks.

Garvin is accused of saying, "If something happens, either we can respond really fast or we could respond really slow. I've been coming here for years and I've been getting whatever I want. I'm the difference between you getting a two-minute response time, if you needed a little help, or a 15 minutes response time."

However, when confronted about the comments, police said Garvin agreed to take a polygraph test.

When asked whether or not he threatened managers with adverse response times, Garvin responded, "no."

But polygraph test results suggested that the officer was lying, Local 6's Tarik Minor reported. Garvin was then fired.

Starbucks employees said Garvin visited the Starbucks store six times a day during his shifts and intimidated some workers during visits.

"I want somebody protecting my streets who is honest and trustworthy," Starbucks customer Adam Cuddy said. "So, if he is going to fail a polygraph, whether it is about coffee or anything, I don't know how comfortable I feel as a citizen being protected."

The investigation also revealed that Garvin requested the complimentary coffee even when he was not on duty.

Garvin was hired by the department in 1993.
Not the brightest candle on the cake, that's for sure.

#44 ·
Yea, they should back charge him for all the coffee over the years.

#6 ·
I agree that he was extorting the coffee shop. I just can't believe he could be so stupid in today's day and age to threaten a business owner like he did, and not expect repercussions.

I am glad that he is off the streets, and hopefully he will never work in a position of public trust again.

#9 ·
Maybe now he can get a job as a mall security gaurd someplace with just a radio, and hang out at the prezel counter with the teenagers.

What a moron.

#36 ·
Yep... he didn't want to be a Police Lieutenant... He had higher aspirations. Mall Ninja! :slap:

#10 ·
The more I think about this the more it aggravates me. Lt. Major... now we have the Police upper eschelon behaving in a manner that betrays the public trust. The entire department will suffer from the fallout within the community, if it isn't already. What a jackass.

#12 ·
Pride goes before the fall. When a person feels entitled, they are destined to act in an exploitative manner. He got what he deserved.

#15 ·
He should have been fired for patronizing Starbucks to strat with even if it was free. I went into one and asked for a cup of plain coffee, no whipped cream, no flavoring, no additives other than the coffee. They would have been less shocked if I had pulled out a gun and ordered them to open the cash drawer. I thought they were going to throw me out for being so unsophistocated.

#17 ·
I personally have no issues with people associated with first responder jobs getting benefits from the public. I don't mind when I get a better deal or free stuff when people find out I'm a Marine, it happens, I even got free time at the range for it yesterday. But I don't expect it, and by no means is it required. If the old management gave him free coffee, great, good for him, if the new one doesn't want to, thats their prerogative. They are still paying taxes part of which go to police department funding.

Pretty stupid on his end of the deal, especially threatening them. Glad he is off the force.

#20 ·
I personally have no issues with people associated with first responder jobs getting benefits from the public.
I don't have a problem with that either. I regularly pay for the coffee, etc. of people in uniform (live near a Navy base). I honor and respect the service of all in uniform, but when someone makes demands, they become a criminal.

#18 ·
buckeye,

First off, thanks for your service.

I also have no problem if a company offers a discount for military, etc. Being retired military I often ask if they offer a discount. But to go into a business and demand free goods and services is extortion, plain and simple.

#19 ·
I agree completely Mike, its nice when a business does it, but it is by no means mandatory, and it is completely up to the business.

He extorted them, he is currently paying his dues because he didn't want to pay for overpriced bad coffee.

#22 ·
I shake local businesses down all the time for protection money... but for coffee? Thats just unprofessional.:scruntiny:

I'm kidding! What a dork, I hope he ends up working at Starbucks.

#25 ·
When I was an LEO the Quik shops all gave us free beverages #1 it meant police officers would stop in during patrols and hang out for a few minutes,this was done after approval by the chief of police and I always offered to pay but they always refused.This guy was totally abusing his authority and if he's extorting coffee what else is he willing to do for a little gratuity

#26 ·
Most gas stations, coffee houses, and yes donut shops normally like the Leo's to stop in to be seen. The first day of the NYPD acamedy you are taught when you buy anything like coffee, lunch, snack awalys place change back into your pocket without counting it. If the sale person wishes to give you something for nothing that is their choice. you never know who is watching you, them or somebody else in the store. Lets say the item is $1.00 you hand them a 1 dollar bill and the sales clerk gives you back 4 quarters as change, who is to know. But they is something wrong to strong arm your way for free items. Maybe should have used a ski mask so it would be harder to identify .

#28 ·
Most gas stations, coffee houses, and yes donut shops normally like the Leo's to stop in to be seen.....

Our local Mom-n-Pop wants that presence of LEO's, EMS, and firefighters......and offers free coffee and fountian drinks. The guy's on duty appreciate it.....and it borders the three main patrol zones so
our guy stop in. Any breech of trust from those guys and everyone would suffer. One idiot is all it takes, and it's a small enough town here that actions like that would be heard quickly.

#27 ·
When I was a Shift Lead there, it depended on the manager. Some had a policy of not charging uniformed LEO's, paramedics or firefighters. I remember filling an order of a dozen frappuchinos for the local FD, once. All on the house. Others, everyone paid for everything. But we had a couple of regular guys that would come in every few days and do their paperwork. They insisted on paying so we just told them to toss a few bucks in the tip jar and call it square. They even handled some unruly customers for us on occasion - and no, it wasn't for small stuff (mostly people being loud and vulgar in front of families, etc). But if I had ever had to deal with THAT from an officer? I don't think I would have waited until he left before I called the station house. I don't care if its a joke.. That's not even close to funny when you work the closing shift.

#29 ·
I have no problem with the free coffee for LEO. I used to get aggravated at the senior citizen's prices but have changed my mind since becoming one. But for any LEO to demand that is like some waiter's demanding a tip when you had to chase them down to get your check or a refill on coffee.

#30 ·
However, when recently denied free coffee from new management, Garvin allegedly told managers that he could change the police department's response time if they refuse to give him complimentary drinks.
If true, that's tantamount to saying he'd be willing to bet a life on the coffee. Imagine what would happen if a robbery in progress were reported. How much is a life worth, in that town to that guy? A coffee. Hm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.