Wow, What A Dumb Way To Lose Your Job - Daytona Beach, FL

This is a discussion on Wow, What A Dumb Way To Lose Your Job - Daytona Beach, FL within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Officer Accused Of Threatening Starbucks Managers For Free Coffee - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- A police lieutenant in Daytona ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow, What A Dumb Way To Lose Your Job - Daytona Beach, FL

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Officer Accused Of Threatening Starbucks Managers For Free Coffee - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- A police lieutenant in Daytona Beach was fired over accusations that he threatened slower emergency response times if he was not given complimentary specialty Starbucks coffee drinks.

An internal police investigation found that Daytona Lt. Major Garvin received free coffee for about two years from a city Starbucks coffee store.

However, when recently denied free coffee from new management, Garvin allegedly told managers that he could change the police department's response time if they refuse to give him complimentary drinks.

Garvin is accused of saying, "If something happens, either we can respond really fast or we could respond really slow. I've been coming here for years and I've been getting whatever I want. I'm the difference between you getting a two-minute response time, if you needed a little help, or a 15 minutes response time."

However, when confronted about the comments, police said Garvin agreed to take a polygraph test.

When asked whether or not he threatened managers with adverse response times, Garvin responded, "no."

But polygraph test results suggested that the officer was lying, Local 6's Tarik Minor reported. Garvin was then fired.

Starbucks employees said Garvin visited the Starbucks store six times a day during his shifts and intimidated some workers during visits.

"I want somebody protecting my streets who is honest and trustworthy," Starbucks customer Adam Cuddy said. "So, if he is going to fail a polygraph, whether it is about coffee or anything, I don't know how comfortable I feel as a citizen being protected."

The investigation also revealed that Garvin requested the complimentary coffee even when he was not on duty.

Garvin was hired by the department in 1993.
    Not the brightest candle on the cake, that's for sure.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Corruption takes many forms. This could be the tip of the iceberg and it's good he's been weeded out.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

JD
    Administrator
    Can't blame him for trying, do you know how much six trips to Starbucks in one day would cost!!!!

And over crappy coffee to top it off, wow!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Extortion is still extortion even if you have a badge.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I agree that he was extorting the coffee shop. I just can't believe he could be so stupid in today's day and age to threaten a business owner like he did, and not expect repercussions.

I am glad that he is off the streets, and hopefully he will never work in a position of public trust again.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Wow.....?!? This thread's title says it all.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I wonder if he was getting free donuts, too?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Maybe now he can get a job as a mall security gaurd someplace with just a radio, and hang out at the prezel counter with the teenagers.

What a moron.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The more I think about this the more it aggravates me. Lt. Major... now we have the Police upper eschelon behaving in a manner that betrays the public trust. The entire department will suffer from the fallout within the community, if it isn't already. What a jackass.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Makes LEOs that work hard look bad.........moron, idiot, stupid
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Pride goes before the fall. When a person feels entitled, they are destined to act in an exploitative manner. He got what he deserved.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

Well, at least now we know that he wont be driving around all hyped up from all the caffeine.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Jackassery in the First Degree. I hope the State of FL insures that he never works anywhere else as a cop.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

He should have been fired for patronizing Starbucks to strat with even if it was free. I went into one and asked for a cup of plain coffee, no whipped cream, no flavoring, no additives other than the coffee. They would have been less shocked if I had pulled out a gun and ordered them to open the cash drawer. I thought they were going to throw me out for being so unsophistocated.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links