North of the Border: American Soldier Facing Trial for Gun Possession in Canada - Page 2

North of the Border: American Soldier Facing Trial for Gun Possession in Canada

This is a discussion on North of the Border: American Soldier Facing Trial for Gun Possession in Canada within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; O.K., I guess I am the big softy here. I hope the Canadians decide to cut him some slack. There are so dang many things ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North of the Border: American Soldier Facing Trial for Gun Possession in Canada

VIP Member
    O.K., I guess I am the big softy here. I hope the Canadians decide to cut him some slack. There are so dang many things that are illegal it is almost impossible to avoid doing something wrong. If the guy truly just screwed up, and otherwise has a clean record, I hope they give him a modest fine and DEPORT HIM to the USA---then, as someone else stated, let the US military deal with him.

BTW, I lived in Canada for about a year. Generally, it is a great place.

One night I was driving home from dinner when a car pulled up alongside mine and the occupant shouted that he was going to shoot me. It so caught me off guard that I didn't even react. Fortunately, the idiot drove off and no shots were fired. Just maybe their tough gun laws (which aren't right for the US) prevented a real shooting. I'll never know. (This happened in a nice University town too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    ... If the guy truly just screwed up, and otherwise has a clean record, I hope they give him a modest fine and DEPORT HIM to the USA
    OK, that's fair... I'll go along with that!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Sure the kid broke the law, but it's not like he was trying to rob canada of there only tank. I wonder how many canadians have made it thru to the U.S side with a gun? Much less how many terrorist they have let slip in.

Maybe we should just lock down the border and tell them to fend for themselves, since America is tired of protecting it's red headed step sister....

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    ... It also pisses me off when people, or their families, try to use their status of being an american soldier to try to get themselves press coverage, or leniency. If anything, soldiers should be held to a higher, more professional standard, especially when dealing with weapons, not given leeway and special publicity when they screw up. If this person was Joe Schmoe, a carpenter from brooklyn would people be calling for his release? Would he have gotten the same news coverage?
    I tend to agree with this...in this case, he tried to get away with something knowing the rules (unlike the Mexican deal where he tried to turn around, but there was no place to turn). I suspect he had done it before...but the roll of the dice caught up to him...and now they are crying foul. No sympathy on my part.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by czlight View Post

Maybe we should just lock down the border and tell them to fend for themselves, since America is tired of protecting it's red headed step sister....
    Can't do that. We need their oil.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

The thing for me on this is not so much what this guy did. Yeah it was stupid. But for me it is about national sovereignty. Unless we are prepared to send any and all non U.S. nationals back to their home land to face their national justice system for offenses committed in the U.S. we shouldn't be asking for his release.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    I don't know what to make of this situation. The previous comments have me thinking.

I don't want a nation full of hardline, no forgiveness people. But I also don't know where you draw the line on enforcing the law.

It would be tough to be a judge.

That's the problem with society today you know what the law is,you decide to break the law,and then when you get caught you think the consequences shouldn't apply because your american or your an american serviceman.I saw plenty of GI's break laws overseas and some of them did time in prisons over there.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Well, hopefully they won't get ridiculously tough with the guy but, he entered into their sovereign stomping grounds and violated their law.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Who in their right mind doesn't know you don't take a handgun into Canada... For whatever reason!

The kid is just dopey!

Sympathy Gauge is reading empty today! (couldn't afford the prices at the pumps)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by czlight View Post
    Sure the kid broke the law, but it's not like he was trying to rob canada of there only tank. I wonder how many canadians have made it thru to the U.S side with a gun? Much less how many terrorist they have let slip in.
    So, let me play devils advocate here..........

I take it from your comment that if we do catch some Canadians or for that matter terrorists, we should just smile and return them. Sure they broke the law, but..........
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Can't do that. We need their oil.
    +1 the majority of our oil comes from Canada not the Mid-East

We need Canada more than they need us.

I travel to Canada once or twice a year, you do not bring a gun into Canada with out clearing some major red tape first.

The Cpl knew this but tried anyway, now he has to pay the piper
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Highly unlikely he will get any jail time, hell, hardly ever do gun packing drug dealers, he will likley be found guilty, given a conditional sentance and barred from coming to Canada for awhile.

If you think it's different in the US, just imagine if I decide to drive into the US with an undeclared gun? I will take our guys over your Homeland Security types any day.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What the heck? Didn't we just go over this in Mexico????

Sorry, no sympathy from me, he rolled the dice and lost going through Canada with a gun.

Same thing I said about the guy in Mexico...
    Agreed, why should he be given special treatment/consideration? He screwed up, by not knowing or ignoring the law.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 24th, 2008 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    This would be no different than if a Mexican or Canadian or Russian citizen did same coming in to the US if even by 'accident' or by initial intent for just a few minutes/miles as a short cut.
    Uhmmm, no. Maybe for Canadians, but "the Rules" are different, in practice, for Mejicanos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links