North of the Border: American Soldier Facing Trial for Gun Possession in Canada

This is a discussion on North of the Border: American Soldier Facing Trial for Gun Possession in Canada within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There's got to be something we can do to help this young man out. It seems like this was an honest mistake. Maybe we can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North of the Border: American Soldier Facing Trial for Gun Possession in Canada

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

North of the Border: American Soldier Facing Trial for Gun Possession in Canada

There's got to be something we can do to help this young man out. It seems like this was an honest mistake. Maybe we can write to the authorities in Canada & ask them to reconsider their position.

Father concerned for jailed soldier

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    What the heck? Didn't we just go over this in Mexico????

Army Cpl. Kevin Shope, a 25-year-old Hamilton High School graduate, was cutting through Canada on his way from Michigan to report to Fort Drum in New York, according to his father, David Shope of Hamilton.
    Sorry, no sympathy from me, he rolled the dice and lost going through Canada with a gun.

Same thing I said about the guy in Mexico. Sure bring him home, then charge him here.

A mistake in breaking the law is still breaking the law, however I think they could cut him some slack as he is military. If not we can always send over a couple of Rangers or a couple of Force Recon guys to take over the whole country .
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

(sorry for the plagiarism, I couldn't think of better words)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post

(sorry for the plagiarism, I couldn't think of better words)
    No problem, there's not much more to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    If not we can always send over a couple of Rangers or a couple of Force Recon guys to take over the whole country .
    I believe it was the great Canadian Tom Green who said:

"don't mess with us, we have a tank."
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Same thing I said about the guy in Mexico. Sure bring him home, then charge him here.
    Have to disagree with you on this one. He violated Canadian law and is subject to the Canadian justice system now. He can do his time in a Canadian prison and then the U.S. Army can have its turn.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Have to disagree with you on this one. He violated Canadian law and is subject to the Canadian justice system now. He can do his time in a Canadian prison and then the U.S. Army can have its turn.
    Whatever floats your boat.

Either way, no one is entitled to get away with breaking the law.

Yeah, every now and then I got a pass for being in the Military, but I never thought I was entitled to it, nor did I expect to get the pass, if you get one you're lucky, if you don't you just get what's coming to you for breaking the law, and that's all there is to it.

Did he not notice the large checkpoint and sign "aboot" entering Canada? Perhaps his education did not explain it was not part of the USA.

1943 - 2009
    In the words of Detective Tony Baretta:

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time".

Sorry, if Corporal Shope is looking for sympathy, he can find it in the dictionary.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Sorry but I got no sympathy the laws are very clear and he thought he could sneak through with a handgun no less.He would have made better time staying inthe U.S.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

With some of their wacky politics and policies...they may as well be part of the US...as Northern New York
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I agree with JD, and yes this is the same as the guy in Mexico as well as the moron who took ammunition to Russia aboard an aircraft.

There are laws for most everything. Everyone born yesterday and older knows this.
    Amongst those laws firearms are worldwide highly restricted items and have all manner of laws toward possession and use. Everyone born yesterday and older knows this too. Even folk of the military, to which being member of past or present is not a free pass to break laws. Especially not the laws of foreign countries.

Dude knew what he was doing.
    He rolled the dice, made a bad play, and got lost to boot. And now he's suffering the consequence of his actions.
    This would be no different than if a Mexican or Canadian or Russian citizen did same coming in to the US if even by 'accident' or by initial intent for just a few minutes/miles as a short cut.

Flout the rules and get caught, then you will pay...and should.
    And being an American is not nor should be a free pass against or above others who are not.

- Janq

P.S. - Also the article makes no note of how he was found out to start. Why was he pulled over, in a _foreign country_.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It always amazes me how when someone gets caught with a gun where they shouldn't be it always a "MISTAKE" The school teacher who lost her gun on school grounds said she grabbed it by accident. I bet that gun was with her every school day until the day she dropped it, then and only then it was accidently brought to school. This soldier is in the same boat. He know where the gun was, he tried to get the gun into canada with him, got caught, then and only then it was a "MISTAKE" Same with the soldier going to mexico. He rolled the dice, got caught, and will now be at the mercy of the canadian justice system. i wish him the best of luck.

It also pisses me off when people, or their families, try to use their status of being an american soldier to try to get themselves press coverage, or leniency. If anything, soldiers should be held to a higher, more professional standard, especially when dealing with weapons, not given leeway and special publicity when they screw up. If this person was Joe Schmoe, a carpenter from brooklyn would people be calling for his release? Would he have gotten the same news coverage?

Plain and simple, this guy tried to use a shortcut to get from point a to point b. He tried to get his gun over to point b with him, counting on just being waved through the border, and not searched. You win some, you lose some. Don't place a bet if you can't pay the house.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Everyone (I'm sure) on this forum knows the laws about transport into Canada. It is posted at the border, and it's on every official web site about customs and Canadian travel. I feel sorry for the person, but he really should have known better... especially being in the military and receiving firearm training.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links