How Sad Is This?

How Sad Is This?

This is a discussion on How Sad Is This? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Marines ask Wilmington mayor to change bar policy :: WRAL.com Wilmington, N.C. A group of Camp Lejeune Marines have sent a letter to Wilmington ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Sad Is This?

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

How Sad Is This?

Marines ask Wilmington mayor to change bar policy :: WRAL.com

Wilmington, N.C. A group of Camp Lejeune Marines have sent a letter to Wilmington Mayor Bill Saffo asking him to change a policy that allows downtown bars to refuse entry to service members.

The four Marines said they were turned away at three separate downtown Wilmington bars on July 12 between 11 p.m. and midnight. The Marines said they were surprised to be turned away as they had all visited the bars previously.

One member of the group, who did not have a typical Marine haircut, was allowed inside one of the bars.
    This ranks right up there with the idiots in Berkeley, CA trying to kick the Marine recruiters out of town. It is a sad day when one of the country's finest can be denied service at a watering hole, solely because he is a jarhead.

What kind of town would have a law on the books allowing denial of service to servicemembers in the first place? Especially a town like Wilmington, where a good chunk of the population is either in the service, or work in a related capacity (on base, contractor, etc)? Where does the town government think these Marines and support personnel spend their salary?

I hope that the Mayor will reverse this idiotic law, and allow these young leathernecks the freedom to frequent any business they desire.

Sad, just sad.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

This goes right along with: Soldiers, Dogs and Sailors Keep Off The Grass

In short, many people pay "lip service" to supporting our troops, but when it's time to fish or cut bait they abandon those same service members.

If I was the base commander I'd authorize a Training Exercise in the local area intent on taking out the electrical, gas and water supplies to that town. I guess that's why I'm not a base commander.

Biker

I like your thinking Biker, it would be nice to see the reaction of the townsfolk. On a more realistic note, if I were the Base Commander I would recommend that the Marine's don't spend a dime in Wilmington and see how long it takes to make a serious impact on the cities economy. After several businesses go under I can imagine that the mayor/town council would be falling all over themselves to cater to the Marines.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

If you enjoy your Freedom, Thank a Vet....and the rest of the Armed Forces....Always.

Freemason 1988
    Colt 1911
    Browning
    Springfield
    North American Arms
    N.R.A.

This is pretty ignorant regardless of whom is allowed to be refused service as an entire group.

The mayor does not make the laws. The city council or the citizens vote on the laws/regs for cities. The mayor usually only gets the tie breaker vote, so you can't really blame it on the mayor as much as one would like.

Blame it on the citizens of the town, they elect the council and put up with what they do.

A boycott of the town from spending might be a pretty effective solution to the bann, but might be inconvienent for many of the soliders and their families.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    The four Marines said they were turned away at three separate downtown Wilmington bars on July 12 between 11 p.m. and midnight. The Marines said they were surprised to be turned away as they had all visited the bars previously.
    I don't know... maybe there is a reason they were turned away having to do with them specifically and not Marines in general...
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Could be CopperKnight,

But why would a town have a law on the books allowing businesses to decide not to serve servicemembers? Imagine the outcry if instead of Marines they refused service to Jews, Blacks, Asians, etc. I thought that class discrimination was illegal in this country.

- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    I don't know... maybe there is a reason they were turned away having to do with them specifically and not Marines in general...
    Yes...it doesn't explain the why...we just assume or jump to conclusion that it is an anti-military conspiracy. Perhaps a number of Marines busted up the place...regardless, don't know why one would want to spend a dime in a place that one is not welcomed.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Could be CopperKnight,

But why would a town have a law on the books allowing businesses to decide not to serve servicemembers? Imagine the outcry if instead of Marines they refused service to Jews, Blacks, Asians, etc. I thought that class discrimination was illegal in this country.
    As a business owner, I can refuse service to whomever I desire for any reason. (But the last Marine through here was thoroughly taken care of!)

I'm sure there's more to the story though.

VIP Member
    Lawton, OK, tried that with Fort Sill when I was there in the fall of 1981. The base commander put the town off-limits. Lawton's city council held out for seventy hours or so, then rolled over and played dead.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Could be CopperKnight,

If the law specifically says "service members", then yes, it is wrong. If the law is generic and says they can refuse service to anyone, then the writer is technically correct to say that the "policy" says they can refuse to service members, but is probably misleading us in the intent of the law. It would be interesting to see what the "policy" actually says.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Something doesn't sound right here. Wilmington is surrounded by the military and have been for many, many, many years. I've spent most of my formative summers around that area. Spent my summers in and around Brunswick from Calabash to Boiling Springs and Wilmington to Surf City areas. It's almost all military in that town. Seems kinda odd to have a reg like that on the books.

There's got to be more to this story. Maybe those guys in particular caused trouble before.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    When I was in Korea, the base commander would periodically make the off base "downtown" area off limits (when they tried to mess with us). It didn't take long for them to realize how much we impacted their economy.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    When I was in Korea, the base commander would periodically make the off base "downtown" area off limits (when they tried to mess with us). It didn't take long for them to realize how much we impacted their economy.
    Now 'yer talkin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Something doesn't sound right here. Wilmington is surrounded by the military and have been for many, many, many years.
    Hell, the entire state is USMC! Lejeune, Cherry Point & New River (Go Raging Bulls!)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links