Taser Death in Winnfield, La ruled Homicide by Coroner

This is a discussion on Taser Death in Winnfield, La ruled Homicide by Coroner within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; WINNFIELD, La. - At 1:28 p.m. last Jan. 17, Baron "Scooter" Pikes was a healthy 21-year-old man. By 2:07 p.m., he was dead. What happened ...

Thread: Taser Death in Winnfield, La ruled Homicide by Coroner

WINNFIELD, La. - At 1:28 p.m. last Jan. 17, Baron "Scooter" Pikes was a healthy 21-year-old man. By 2:07 p.m., he was dead.

What happened in the 39 minutes in between--during which Pikes was handcuffed by local police and shocked nine times with a Taser device, while reportedly pleading for mercy--is now spawning fears of a political cover-up in this backwoods Louisiana lumber town infamous for backroom dealings.

Even more ominously, because Pikes was black and the officer who repeatedly Tasered him is white, racial tensions over the case are mounting in a place that's just 40 miles from Jena, La. Jena is the site of the racially explosive prosecution of six black teenagers charged with beating a white youth that last year triggered one of the largest American civil rights demonstrations in decades. And in a bizarre coincidence, Pikes turns out to have been a first cousin of Mychal Bell, the lead defendant in the Jena 6 case.

No novelist could have invented Winnfield, a place so steeped in corruption that they built a local museum to try to sanitize it all... (snip)
    more here.

And more coverage here and here.

ETA:

This article was updated: Racial Tensions High After Taser Death - DigitalJournal.com: The Power of Citizen Journalism

Williams (the Coroner) ruled the death a Homicide...

Williams called in nationally prominent forensic pathologist, Dr. Michael Baden to help with the case and last month, Williams ruled Pikes death was a homicide, due to

"cardiac arrest following nine 50,000-volt electroshock applications from a conductive electrical weapon."
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    For clarification... a "homicide" ruling by a coroner (in some places) strictly refers to someone dying at the hands of another. It has nothing to do with right or wrong or charges by a prosecutor.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    For clarification... a "homicide" ruling by a coroner (in some places) strictly refers to someone dying at the hands of another. It has nothing to do with right or wrong or charges by a prosecutor.
    I would hope such clarification is not necessary but thanks for putting that out there. As everyone should know, homicides are not necessarily crimes.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    In any places really...I know "assuming" they can read. The definitions for those that don't already know or who have been fooled by the ever-increasingly incorrect media:

• Homicide - The killing of one person by another.
    • Homicide,Criminal - Causing the death of another without justification or cause.
    • Homicide, Justifiable - Intentional causing of another's death in the legal performance of one's duty or under circumstances defined by law as constituting legal justification.
    • Homicide, Excusable - Intentional but justifiable causing of death; a noncriminal action.

-Roxbury Dictionary of Criminal Justice
    • Justifiable homicide is defined in the common law as an intentional homicide committed under circumstances of necessity or duty without any evil intent and without any fault or blame on the person who commits the homicide. Justifiable homicide includes state executions, homicides by police officers in the performance of their legal duty, and self-defense when the person committing the homicide is not at fault.
    • Excusable homicide is the killing of a human being, either by misadventure or in self-defense, when there is some civil fault, error, or omission on the part of the person who commits the homicide. The degree of fault, however, is not enough to constitute a crime.
    • Criminal (or felonious) homicide occurs when a person unlawfully and knowingly, recklessly, or negligently causes the death of another human being. The common law and the states have divided criminal homicide into the crimes of murder, manslaughter, and negligent homicide.

-Criminal Law Principles and Cases, Sixth Edition

...and no I'm not a lawyer, just a college dropout with dusty law books.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Don't tase me Bro'!

Wow. It aint the first either.

Tasing someone who is in handcuffs should not be allowed.

Tasing people is considered "help" in KS.

I told my wife, "If I'm ever feeling bad, please don't call the police to help me."

CJOnline / The Topeka Capital-Journal - No word on whether deputy's taser killed man
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Here's another update from CNN, they're reporting the Officer has been fired.

(sic) Winn Parish District Attorney Christopher Nevils said he will decide on any charges against the ex-officer, Scott Nugent, once a Louisiana State Police report on the case is complete. (sic)
    On a side note, and I wish stuff like this would be ignored (hopefully the grand jury will, if they ever hear the case), this doesn't sound right:

(sic) Winnfield has seen a spate of high-profile corruption cases in recent years. One of Nevils' predecessors as district attorney, Terry Reeves, killed himself amid allegations of embezzlement and extortion. The town's current police chief, Johnny Ray Carpenter, is a convicted drug offender who received a pardon from former Louisiana Gov. Edwin Edwards who himself is now serving a federal prison term for racketeering.(sic)

Only in LA, I think they pride themselves on their corruption.

Not much surprises me coming from down that way.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Actually the Taser X26 dose not send 50,000 volts of electricity through the body. This is constantly miss quoted by the news media, whether intentional or unintentional I don't know. Actually the by the time the volts get to the body, after penetrating clothing and or skin, it sends 1,200 volts through the body. Which is quite enough.

But what is important to remember is that the Taser has low amps, which makes it RELATIVELY safe. The other thing that makes the Taser safe is that it pulsates, so the electricity is on/off/on/off. Also it is programed to stop after five seconds, generally.

Taser training recommends that you attempt to cuff as soon as possible after using the Taser, to reduce the need to use the device several times on the same suspect. As far as somebody who is already in cuffs, could their actions justify an officer deploying a Taser? Yes. Remember the Taser is suppose to help avoid the suspect being beaten with sticks and punches, which might leave extreme injuries. Officers use the device with the belief that it will not kill the suspect or even case temporary damage other than extremely minor stuff. Nine times does seem like a bit much. I would have considered going to a different option after the third exposer and he was still fighting. Switching to hard empty hand, pepper spray, or baton are things you can go to if plan A is not working.

With that said. I have been exposed to the Taser three times in the last few weeks. A one second ride, a five second ride and a drive stun. No thanks. I did wander many things while I was receiving the five second ride. One thing was, "I wish I wasn't screaming like a girl", and after a few more seconds, I wandered "could somebody just volunteer to die?" It hurt! I still have the burn marks that itch on my back.

I'm not going to bat for Taser, or even defending the officers, I'm just letting you guys know a little bit more about the Taser.

My thought is that there is a good chance the man was on drugs, since they allegedly tased him 9 times. And I am completly at ease with the idea of him being tased while cuffed, depending on the circumstances. The news article makes it seem like the police officer was tasing him just for fun like that sick kid who tortures cats, however I'm sure that isn't the case. It is very possible that the officer was just doing his best to subdue a man who was resisting, even after being in cuffs, while causing minimal harm to himself and the criminal.

I guess my point is that there's two sides to every story, and it seems lately that the news stories always assume law enforcement is guilty until proven innocent and will do whatever they can to make every criminal seem like a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by hip2bsquare View Post
    My thought is that there is a good chance the man was on drugs, since they allegedly tased him 9 times. And I am completly at ease with the idea of him being tased while cuffed, depending on the circumstances. The news article makes it seem like the police officer was tasing him just for fun like that sick kid who tortures cats, however I'm sure that isn't the case. It is very possible that the officer was just doing his best to subdue a man who was resisting, even after being in cuffs, while causing minimal harm to himself and the criminal.

I guess my point is that there's two sides to every story, and it seems lately that the news stories always assume law enforcement is guilty until proven innocent and will do whatever they can to make every criminal seem like a victim.
    Well here's the two sides - well three stories really, but from two sides:

The Police Public Statement Version:
    Police Chief Johnny Ray Carpenter said that Pikes fell ill on the way to the police station, telling the officers that he had asthma and was high on crack cocaine and PCP. Although an ambulance was called, Pikes later died at the hospital.
    The Coroner Version:
    An autopsy determined there were no drugs in Pikes' system and that he did not have asthma, according to Dr. Randolph Williams, the Winn Parish coroner.
    and
    Williams said police records showed Nugent administered nine Taser shocks to Pikes over a 14-minute period. The last two jolts, delivered as police pulled Pikes from a patrol car at the police station, elicited no physical reaction because the suspect was unconscious, Williams said.

Only after Pikes was carried into the police station and slumped into a chair did police call for an ambulance. He was pronounced dead soon afterward at the local hospital.
    The arresting Officers Police Report Version:
    Pikes did not resist arrest, and he was handcuffed while lying on the ground, according to Nugent's police report of the incident. It was only after Pikes refused Nugent's command to stand up that the officer applied the first Taser shock in the middle of his back, Nugent wrote.

Several more Taser shocks followed quickly, Nugent stated, because Pikes kept falling down and refusing to get back up. Grocery shoppers who witnessed the incident later told Pikes' family that he had pleaded with Nugent: "Please, you all got me. Please don't Tase me again."

Administrator
    Thanks for fixing the title, homicide and murder have two different meanings.

When Tasers where first marketed, they were taught to be used as a compliance tool. This changed about 3 years ago now... it sounds as if we have a failure to train issue going on here.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thanks for fixing the title, homicide and murder have two different meanings.
    It never said murder.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    It never said murder.
    I know I'm tired... I must have misread it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links