Well, 1 year until I graduate

This is a discussion on Well, 1 year until I graduate within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wanted 11b, but that's a no go (color dumb). A friend suggested 31c (jokingly called it 31colorblind b/c over half the AIT unit or whatever ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, 1 year until I graduate

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Wanted 11b, but that's a no go (color dumb). A friend suggested 31c (jokingly called it 31colorblind b/c over half the AIT unit or whatever was color dumb as well) and with that he said I would most likely be attached to a combat unit. 31C no longer exists, they merged it with like 31N or something. I will go through OCS if I get the opportunity for sure.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    If you're dead set on the Army, this may help.

Army Enlisted Jobs -- Main Menu

Army Commissioned Officer Jobs - Main Menu

Well, life as an enlisted man with a college degree is interesting to say the least, and something to consider, I can discuss the merits and pitfalls of it later with you if you want, quality of life is something to consider, OCS is a very good choice.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

buckeye, I'd be most appreciative of your input, and a sincere thankyou to everyone who has chimed in so far. More advice is always welcome.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    i'm color dumb.
    I have a feeling EOD would be a no go as well.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

No disrespect intended here.

+1 to what jarhead79 said.

It depends, as others have said, on what you want to get out of it I guess. But, before you decide, do this:

As you drive around town over the next few weeks, look around and count window stickers on the cars of veterans. Keep in mind that the Marine Corps is and always has been the smallest branch of the armed forces, employing only a few compared to the others.

You will see a few stickers from the Army, Airborne, etc. Maybe one or two from the Navy. Probably zero from the AF. But, you'll see a lot of old former Marines with the tell tale sticker on their bumper or in the back window.

There's a reason for that.

If they won't let you in, then go Airborne Ranger if you wanna learn to fight.

Depends on what you want. For high tech, USAF or NAVY.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    No disrespect intended here.

+1 to what jarhead79 said.

It depends, as others have said, on what you want to get out of it I guess. But, before you decide, do this:

As you drive around town over the next few weeks, look around and count window stickers on the cars of veterans. Keep in mind that the Marine Corps is and always has been the smallest branch of the armed forces, employing only a few compared to the others.

You will see a few stickers from the Army, Airborne, etc. Maybe one or two from the Navy. Probably zero from the AF. But, you'll see a lot of old former Marines with the tell tale sticker on their bumper or in the back window.

There's a reason for that.

If they won't let you in, then go Airborne Ranger if you wanna learn to fight.

Depends on what you want. For high tech, USAF or NAVY.
    Couldn't have said it better!

Ok, Navy before USAF on the high tech schools! The Nav is into everything!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    The Marine Corps is absolutely the proudest service. However, I've said it before and I'll say it again, "If you are trying to pick between the Marine Corps and any other branch, pick the other branch; there is only one reason to become a Marine and that is to be a Marine."
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I was in the Navy. I was in military intell and worked with all the services in one way or another. Even foreign services, canada, britian, aussies, italians.

With the marines, I had the greatest respect for them and they were a great bunch of people. I've told myself if i could do it over again, I would go either Army or Marines. Navy in the mid 90's didn't really full fill my "militaristic" need.

the marines got that respect from the foreigners as well, they are known world wide.

thank you for your decision to serve. you won't regret it.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

The Navy and Air force have more specialty occupations as far as computer and electronic stuff also all the stuff that goes with keeping bases running what you have to ask yourself is will you do 4, 6 or 30 years and what skill you want to be able to take into the civilian job market.Army and Marines are also in there,I think the Marines have more esprit de corps than the others
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I am in the same boat as you Silent but me the choice is easy 3 gen of Airforce running thru my blood and one thing Im extremely proud of was grand dad was a Chief
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I respect that.... you should be an officer when you start.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Ask yourself, what is it that you want to get out of your time in the service....... Do you want additional technical training, learn to fly, see the world, fight in a war, develop leadership skills, etc.....

Once you've answered that for yourself, go talk to the officer recruitment team for each branch and see what they have to say. Choose the branch that best meets your wants and needs.

Good luck.
    With heartfelt due respect to all of the services, this first reply is a great one...also, family traditions if any (that influenced my choice, as it has others here); life in the services (they are different--Coast Guard postings [ports and a strong law enforcement component] are different from Marine Corps [fleet, embassy, combat, etc.] are different from Army [post, combat, etc.]); and others only you know.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and thank you for your impending service!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    I am in the same boat as you Silent but me the choice is easy 3 gen of Airforce running thru my blood and one thing Im extremely proud of was grand dad was a Chief
    I have AF, Army, and Navy in my blood. (grandpa served in Navy in WWII and then the Army in Korea!!) I wish my choice was as easy for me

Many of you have asked what it is I want out of the military. Well I will have a BA in communication going into the military (I did things backwards I suppose), but technical skill or making myself marketable/employable while in the military is not really my main goal. My main goal is to serve my country, travel, and get paid to jump out of planes and blow stuff up (i.e. I hate desk jobs, and have always been an adrenaline junkey). This is why the AF/Navy does not really appeal to me.

I've got about 3 weeks before school starts, so I figured I'd meet with one recruiter each week and research that branch.

I appreciate all the advice!

Well, if jumping out of planes is something you are set on, Army will be a lot easier to make that happen. Most if not all of the Marine slots to Airborne school go to MARSOC.

Blowing stuff up we do get to do though, even us lowly old grunts. Also the Marines will have you travel, just to nowhere any sane person wants to go.

With a college degree and at least 4 years of active duty, you become very marketable for a whole plethora of jobs.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links