Well, 1 year until I graduate

This is a discussion on Well, 1 year until I graduate within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm entering my last year of college (hopefully, might have to tac on an extra semester for the good times i had freshman year), ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, 1 year until I graduate

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Well, 1 year until I graduate

So I'm entering my last year of college (hopefully, might have to tac on an extra semester for the good times i had freshman year), and I made up mind sometime ago that upon graduating I was going to enlist in one of the armed forces.

How do you pick which branch you want to be in? I've limited it down to USMC, USCG, or the Army. I know there is no real science to it, but what are some things I should perhaps think about in choosing?

I appreciate it,

SDG
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Ask yourself, what is it that you want to get out of your time in the service....... Do you want additional technical training, learn to fly, see the world, fight in a war, develop leadership skills, etc.....

Once you've answered that for yourself, go talk to the officer recruitment team for each branch and see what they have to say. Choose the branch that best meets your wants and needs.

Good luck.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I can't tell you how to pick which branch, but I can tell you why I chose Army, in no particular order.

1. Army JROTC, kind of started off with that influance
    2. At the time I thought there were more choices for jobs (my goal was Airborne, then Ranger, then SF; but that didn't work out)
    3. Dress Uniform looked better to me, yes that was a real reason however small and petty it is.
    4. Rangers just seemed cool to me, of the ones I actually knew.
    5. I knew more about the Army than the other branches, better Army recruiters at my H.S. than the other branches.

If I had it to do over again, I would still go Army but maybe not Combat Engineer; probably would go Infantry. Plus My ASVAB scores weren't high enough for much in the Air Force or Navy, I was scored as a grunt from day one.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    There's really only one answer to that question. Especially between those three.

USMC, BABY!!!!

You'll take away pride that will last a lifetime and is only understood by other Marines.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I had an Uncle that was gunner and grew up with him in his cracker jack uniform and thought it was cool, so I joined the Navy after High School. Really liked it, until I got married, then it wasn't good for a married guy, so I got out and joined the Air Force and it was a stable environment for raising a family, but I felt anchored or dry docked. The Navy was great for traveling and the Air Force was great for staying put. (11 years in one place)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

If you have to ask what makes the Marines different and aren't drawn by the dress blues and ethos/mystique, you might need to do more reading. Take a look at what each services specialties is, and choose the one that you like best.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    As stated before, it depends on what you want. My youngest will graduate in about 18 months and wants to go into the Navy for it's IT unit. What is your major? What are your interests? Do you want a solo career or do you want to double-dip in a second career (post discharge)? Do you want the training, benefits and the resume entry? Whatever MOS you want, investigate which branch offers that MOS and then get it in writing. In most branches of the service, once you choose an MOS you can't change until your hitch is up (unless that specific MOS is eliminated).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I'd just like to start by saying thank you. I appreciate your willingness to serve. No one can really tell you which branch to join, you need to look into each one and see which fits YOUR personality and goals the best. Try to talk to members of each branch and find out what they like and hate about what they do. The Army wasn't for me, so a few months ago I joined the Air Force and haven't looked back. I'm too much of an independent thinker to get along well in the Army, plus I seemed to have a knack for ending up with really badly run commands. Since you have time and hopefully a more mature perspective than I did at 17 when I made my choice, shop around. Read histories and war stories of each branch, talk to service members, visit bases. It's a big commitment, know what you're signing up for. Then when you go to the recruiter, DO NOT let him/her push you around! They need you more than you need them, don't forget that. If they start jerking you around, go over their head and tell their commander you want to work with a different recruiter. Do it again if you have to. Doing so will not make them unwilling to recruit you, it will just prevent them from giving you a raw deal. I speak from experience. Feel free to PM if you want to know more about the Army or Air Force.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I was USAF for 8 years. I worked with the Army Airborne Infantry (1/501st at Ft Richardson, AK) for 2 of those years. Here's my $.02

My Dad was career USAF, so I knew quite a bit about it. I knew that the food & the housing was the best, although promotions probably slower than the other branches. I chose USAF because they tend to use you more for your mind than your body. I'm not trying to flame the other services in any way, just that each has their own mission. And the Army's mission involves A LOT of running.

What are you looking at getting out of the military? What kind of job are you interested in? Do you want a job that translates into a civilian career? I take it you're going to be an officer?

Remember, recruiters are like car salesmen (some of them). If it's not in writing, it ain't gonna happen. Good luck in your decision. Let us know if you've got any more questions, and keep us posted.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    The only reason I'm not 100% USMC is b/c i'm color dumb. i.e. I can see red and green (and even distinguish them from other colors and point them out) but can't see the "hidden" numbers in the dots at MEPS. Army allows for a little more flexibility because they have more MOS's to choose from.

I appreciate the advice everyone. Keep it coming.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

What MOS do you want? I assume you plan on going officer?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Let's jump ahead 6 years and you're out...

Now let's scan the newspapers for jobs!

Wanted: Torpedo Repair, must be able to work in tight waterproof spaces. Must have large weapons experience. $7.00 per hour.

Wanted: Tank Mechanic, experience needed. $8.50 per hour.

Wanted: Security Man, must be able to shoot long distances. Should be able to sleep in mud and rain. $6.50 per hour.

Wanted: Computer Design, must have USAF computer experience. Should be able to design programs for detailed and complex operations. Starting salary: $50,000

Wanted: Air Traffic Control, must have USAF experience. Must be willing to start at $80,000 per year.

Wanted: Airline Pilot, must have large plane (USAF Bomber) experience. Starting salary: $60,000 per year.

The choice is yours...

Stay armed...think ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just go for the branch where you get to jump out of airplanes and blow stuff up.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Just go for the branch where you get to jump out of airplanes and blow stuff up.
    The AirForce, when it absolutely has to be destroyed overnight!

Stay armed...keep a safe distance...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    The only reason I'm not 100% USMC is b/c i'm color dumb. i.e. I can see red and green (and even distinguish them from other colors and point them out) but can't see the "hidden" numbers in the dots at MEPS.
    I am too. The USAF seemed to keep me employed for 8 years.

Read the post by retsupt99. Think - quality of life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links