Defensive Carry banner

Marines Packing Heat.

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  billfromtx 
#1 ·
Before you say "No duh JD" read the following article from Military.com

I found it mildly interesting. It's about time some Marines and Sailors got to develop their pistolcraft a little more.

July 18, 2008
Marine Corps News|by LCpl. Richard Blumenstein
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. - Wearing camouflage uniforms and carrying rifles does not always serve as the most practical approach for Marines trying to blend in with a local population.

But rifle or not, some areas of the world have risks lurking in the form of terrorists, gang members or other criminals produced from impoverished surroundings; and Marines still need a means of protection while remaining inconspicuous.

To gain the skills needed to protect themselves from possible harm in those situations, a group of Marines and Sailors from Marine Special Operations Advisor Group, U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Special Operations Command, took part in the Defensive Pistol Course at the Military Operations in Urban Terrain Assault Course here, June 30 through July 1.

The course curriculum centered on defensively employing the M9 9mm service pistol from a concealed holster against enemy threats, according to Capt. Joe Clemmey, the force protection officer-in-charge.

The Marines, dressed in civilian clothing, rotated through three stations at the assault course. Each station focused on a different aspect of defensive shooting.

At one station, an instructor would randomly yell out the colors and numbers on multiple targets as a Marine walked a straight line as if traveling down a road in an urban environment. The Marine at the station would then un-holster his weapon, identify and engage the targets matching the colors and numbers without hitting neighboring targets.

According to Clemmey, the station served to improve the Marines' abilities to rapidly respond to enemy personnel while differentiating them from innocent civilians.

It also gave the Marines a chance to practice their pistol concealment skills and better understand how to move around without revealing their weapon, Clemmey said.

The Marines also practiced different pistol-drawing techniques in order to build muscle memory, as well as handled weapon malfunctions to improve their weapons-handling capabilities, said an MSOAG course instructor.

"If you practice constantly under high stress, it's just going to come natural," the instructor said.

For a few of the younger Marines who experienced the Defensive Pistol Course for the first time, the training instilled confidence.

"If I was ever in a situation where I needed to draw a concealed weapon, I know I could do it with no problem now," said Lance Cpl. Leonid Mernenko, a student in the course.

#3 ·
Very interesting to see the military teaching our boys gun skills for the civilian world. I wonder if they all have a certain job-code that requires them to be outside the base walls during duty hours, or if this was geared toward off duty self defense. In any case, it's a good thing.

#4 ·
Initially I saw it as follow on training for personnel deploying overseas in urban areas while they may, from time to time, be out of uniform/civies. Possiably even embassy, or likewise, duty. They are U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Special Operations Command. They just never advertised that training before. Very intresting.

#7 ·
I like the idea.:congrats:...'bout time! (Or is this just becoming public news?)

#8 ·
As stated above, it's Spec. Ops types going through the training, not your every day Marines and Sailors.

It's probably been going on for a while, but who knows.

That was one thing I was always appalled at, the lack of decent pistol training among the rank and file personnel, even if you did rate a service pistol, you never really got good training on how to deploy it.

#9 ·
MARSOC has been doing such things for a while, presidential detail, security forces and embassy details also receive similar training. It's good that they are doing it. Now if they did it for rank and file grunts.

#12 ·
I agree wholeheartedly with you and JD. The pistol training when I was in was very basic. Not real training. They just showed you how to work it safely and shoot it.

I was lucky enough to be trained on both the 1911 and M9, since they were transitioning at the time.

In '88 we shot 1911s at PI.

Still, at that time we were planning to fight a large force on force war with the Russians. So, rifle competency and crew served weaponry was paramount and handguns took a back seat, as they still do in most training.

Today's environment is a much different deal than what they had in mind for us. Heck, we didn't even get desert training until AFTER we came back from the Gulf War.

Could have something to do with the fact that I was with AAVs? We were supposed to be in the water.:image035:

#10 ·
I was under the impression that the Spec. Ops types were the ones already doing this sort of thing, along with other civilian training schools (Howe, Rogers, Vickers, etc.), so I suppose this isn't overly surprising. From what I've been told, the majority of professional shooters tend to be great with rifles but not so hot with pistols, though, so you won't find me complaining that these Marines are getting more training and I doubt they're complaining much either. I wonder if enlistment is the only way to convince Uncle Sugar to pay for my training. :rolleyes:

-B

#13 ·
this training has been going on for a long time. they just don't let the general public know. There is a lot of training that is done that is not talked about. there is no longer a such thing a stanard training in the Marine Corps. It is switch directions since 9/11. You would be surpised how many active Marines have CHL's cause of their duties. Everyday more and more Marines (and other services too)are geting CHL type training.

Former Active Marine of 13 years
Active Soldier

#14 ·
Dreyerba, they don't really get CHL's like civilians, more along the lines of federal credentials. There still is standard training for line units, but not for special groups. A large number do have civilian CHL's as well, for whatever their reasons are. (I am an AD 0311)

I still haven't touched an M-9 SgtD, but trackers have more use of them than grunts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.