Reserve Deputy question

This is a discussion on Reserve Deputy question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am considering joining the Reserve Deputy program with the Shelby County Tennessee Sheriffs Department. My question is this: Would being a Reserve Deputy entitle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reserve Deputy question

Reserve Deputy question

I am considering joining the Reserve Deputy program with the Shelby County Tennessee Sheriffs Department.

My question is this: Would being a Reserve Deputy entitle me to carry in all 50 states? A reserve Deputy is in fact a sworn Peace Officer is he not? So he would fall under the law that allows all sworn officers to carry nation wide would it not?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Yes, as long as your employer is a government.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Administrator
    Depends...some reserve programs are not sworn, others are.
    "Just blame Sixto"

OK, ya got me there. You have to be sworn in and authorized to carry a firearm.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I am not sure on this one. I know once I was sent to Kansas to pick up a prisoner from Levenworth prison. Kansas wouldn't recognize any out of state LEO at that time. We were going after a cop killer. Do you think we were unarmed.........not hardly. This was during the mid 90's. Colorado use to be the same way even thou we were on duty.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

My understanding at this time of the reserve program in Shelby County is that the reserve Deputies are exactly the same as the paid officer. Their duty gear is issued to them, uniforms and all. They carry a firearm, I believe it is a Beretta 92, or the .40 cal version at least, and are sworn.
    In fact, I believe technically, they are paid. They get $1.00 per year. They have to work a specific number of hours per month to stay active in the program. I believe it may be as little as 8 hours per month in fact.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Then I would think you can, I don't specifically recall anything about a volunteer or non full time sworn that could not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes you have all the rights to carry that any other officer does as long as you are sworn. However, no rights after retirement (yet), though they are working on that.

As long as you get retired Id and take 1 class from an instructor who is licensed by the DCJS. The DCJS class allows retired LE to carry in a 50 states as long as you meet the same quafications as active LEO's.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    My understanding at this time of the reserve program in Shelby County is that the reserve Deputies are exactly the same as the paid officer. Their duty gear is issued to them, uniforms and all. They carry a firearm, I believe it is a Beretta 92, or the .40 cal version at least, and are sworn.
    In fact, I believe technically, they are paid. They get $1.00 per year. They have to work a specific number of hours per month to stay active in the program. I believe it may be as little as 8 hours per month in fact.
    What about school? Don't you have to go to school?

In Missouri to be a certified peace officer, you have to attend a 625 hour police academy! Reserve officers have to have the same level of training. Then they must complete so many hours of POST (peace officers standardized training) credits to maintain their certification every 3 years. Even though I'm not a LEO I had to jump through a lot of hoops to become a POST certified instructor.

We used to have a 125 hour minimum training certification for smaller/poorer counties but LEO's with that level of certifications couldn't work in Class-1 counties like in Kansas City, Springfield, St. Louis, etc...

But IIRC now all LEO's in Missouri must have the 625 hour certification.

Without that, you can't be a certified LEO in Missouri and therefore not eligible for national concealed carry.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

In California you would be entitled to carry off duty as a Reserve as long as your department allows you to do so. The law may say you can but your department policy will dictate whether you can or cannot carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

For Reserve SCSO there is a 40 hour class which includes some range time.

The fun part is doing 'special event duty' to get your required hours...direct traffic in summer heat and/or torentual down pours, work late night special events, cogic convention traffic downtown, etc.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

In Missouri to be a certified peace officer, you have to attend a 625 hour police academy! Reserve officers have to have the same level of training. Then they must complete so many hours of POST (peace officers standardized training) credits to maintain their certification every 3 years. Even though I'm not a LEO I had to jump through a lot of hoops to become a POST certified instructor.

We used to have a 125 hour minimum training certification for smaller/poorer counties but LEO's with that level of certifications couldn't work in Class-1 counties like in Kansas City, Springfield, St. Louis, etc...

Without that, you can't be a certified LEO in Missouri and therefore not eligible for national concealed carry.
    According to all the info that came with the application, the reserve Deputies go though the exact same academy that the full time Deputies go through. It is just done 3 nights a week from 6pm to 10pm and every Saturday for 8 hours and it takes about 6 months.
    So, lots of class time and lots of range time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Then I would think you can, I don't specifically recall anything about a volunteer or non full time sworn that could not.
    Technically wouldn't you be a salaried employee @ $1 a year? I imagine that's what the $1 is about, so you're not officially a volunteer?
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links