Defensive Carry banner

Reserve Deputy question

5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  HotGuns 
#1 ·
I am considering joining the Reserve Deputy program with the Shelby County Tennessee Sheriffs Department.

My question is this: Would being a Reserve Deputy entitle me to carry in all 50 states? A reserve Deputy is in fact a sworn Peace Officer is he not? So he would fall under the law that allows all sworn officers to carry nation wide would it not?

#5 ·
I am not sure on this one. I know once I was sent to Kansas to pick up a prisoner from Levenworth prison. Kansas wouldn't recognize any out of state LEO at that time. We were going after a cop killer. Do you think we were unarmed.........not hardly. This was during the mid 90's. Colorado use to be the same way even thou we were on duty.

#6 ·
My understanding at this time of the reserve program in Shelby County is that the reserve Deputies are exactly the same as the paid officer. Their duty gear is issued to them, uniforms and all. They carry a firearm, I believe it is a Beretta 92, or the .40 cal version at least, and are sworn.
In fact, I believe technically, they are paid. They get $1.00 per year. They have to work a specific number of hours per month to stay active in the program. I believe it may be as little as 8 hours per month in fact.

#11 ·
What about school? Don't you have to go to school?

In Missouri to be a certified peace officer, you have to attend a 625 hour police academy! Reserve officers have to have the same level of training. Then they must complete so many hours of POST (peace officers standardized training) credits to maintain their certification every 3 years. Even though I'm not a LEO I had to jump through a lot of hoops to become a POST certified instructor.

We used to have a 125 hour minimum training certification for smaller/poorer counties but LEO's with that level of certifications couldn't work in Class-1 counties like in Kansas City, Springfield, St. Louis, etc...

But IIRC now all LEO's in Missouri must have the 625 hour certification.

Without that, you can't be a certified LEO in Missouri and therefore not eligible for national concealed carry.

#15 ·
Technically wouldn't you be a salaried employee @ $1 a year? I imagine that's what the $1 is about, so you're not officially a volunteer?

#10 ·
As long as you get retired Id and take 1 class from an instructor who is licensed by the DCJS. The DCJS class allows retired LE to carry in a 50 states as long as you meet the same quafications as active LEO's.

#17 ·
Our Reserves have the exact same ID as the full timers the ID card makes no distinction, it just says "Deputy" on it.

The Sheriff did this just to avoid any confusion if traveling out of state. In some states the Reserves are not sworn, so they cannot carry.

What you get into though, is if you are traveling in a state like New York, where Reserves aren't much different that parking lot attendants, aren't sworn, don't carry a gun, and don't do much that the full timers do, is if they see "Reserve" on your ID card, then they will treat you like they do for their Reserves and it can be a pain in the butt.

This happened to one of ours a year or so ago, and resulted in him being detained until our Sheriff was contacted and he was cleared after explaining to them. As a result of that action, the Reserves were issued the same ID cards, on the back it explains that they are Sworn Deputy's, have powers of arrest and carry a gun.

Since then there have been no problems with anyone carrying in another state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.