Woman arrested after pulling officer from wreck

This is a discussion on Woman arrested after pulling officer from wreck within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SelfDefense Since we don't know all the facts it is rather unproductive to speculate. Somehow, I doubt they starved her for ten ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Woman arrested after pulling officer from wreck

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Since we don't know all the facts it is rather unproductive to speculate. Somehow, I doubt they starved her for ten months.

Even if we take the defense's account at face value, the award is absolutely ludicrous. Seven million dollars for ten months of false incarceration? Sign me up!

Either her lawyer is extremely stupid for letting her sit in jail for almost a year or he is smart as a fox knowing the longer she sat the larger the potential payout.

This award should be cut to about $200,000, more than twice what she would have made in a year.
    I disagree when you're dealing with corrupt law enforcement on any level they work twice as hard to oppress you because they know they are wrong & they "now" don't want to look stupid once it starts coming to light.

The if they say it happened it happened mentality doesn't work for me.

2. Remove Ads

Some of you talk about 10 months like it's just a vacation.

What would happen to YOU if you could afford nothing better than a public defender who only wants your case to "go away"?

What would happen to your job while you spend 10 months in Crook County Jail?

Without income, can you pay rent for your apartment? Is the management company just going to hold onto your personal possessions? How about a mortgage. There goes your house.
    I don't know the law about forclosure, do you get back any equity?

Can you make the minimums on your credit card payments?
    There goes your credit.

You finally get out of jail, no job, you think you are getting the same job back? Eww, a FELONY arrest?! Begone scum.

And when you finally get a lawyer to sue on this matter it takes 5 years to win your case.

You will absolutely NEVER get any legal satisfaction against the particular cops who arrested you, and tried to coerce a confession out of you. (as Chicago police are known for)

7.7 million is not NEARLY ENOUGH to change the system.

And as far as being made whole, it is just a start.

And I'll bet you don't try saving cops in burning cars anymore, either.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    And I'll bet you don't try saving cops in burning cars anymore, either.
    That's the lunacy of it all. The folks in the system cannot possibly think it's in anybody's best interest to pointlessly crush noogies for a living, other than giving a "temporary high" for power trip. It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    As a trained medical person, I believe she was required by law to assist at the scene of an accident. I would have tried to help as Joe Citizen--that's just me.
    Nope, no requirement for even EMS personnel or doctors to assist if they are off duty. Not in this country, anyway.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Even if we take the defense's account at face value, the award is absolutely ludicrous. Seven million dollars for ten months of false incarceration? Sign me up!

This award should be cut to about $200,000, more than twice what she would have made in a year.
    Weel, now I do have to comment.
    While I am strongly against all of these frivolous lawsuits that fill up our courts these days and the outragious awards being given out, I have no problem with this award.
    What happened to the 'Good Samaritan Act'?
    Did she have the gun on her? Evidently not!
    Did she even have a record? I doubt it.
    I think the prosecutor should have looked at this and stopped it. This womens life and career must have been greatly affected by her arrest and incarceration.
    IMO, there is quite a record of abuse of power coming out of 'Crook' County. While I believe this was a justified award, I hope more importantly it will send a message to LE and the DA's office.
    That's my 2 centsin a nutshell.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Did they even find the gun? Any prints on it? Surely not hers, she was kinda busy.

As is obvious, the impact of such abuses are not merely monetary. By a vast margin, the worst cost borne by us all is the lasting impact of such abuses. What compensation for that? (All comments are based on the idea that the facts of the case as presented are true, of course, based as well on the simple fact the groundless case was dumped by the court.)

IMO, any damages in such a case should not only financially compensate a person for current and future harm to one's income generating potential, but it should absolutely be stout enough to be a significant barrier and warning against future abuses, putting the crooks on notice that such things will not be tolerated. Monetary compensation can't hardly do that, beyond the lost income and career damage. It's greatest effect, by far, is in the guard against future criminal/abusive behavior.

The liars and abusers are still running free, a good sam got it right up the backside, and the public got further proof of how unfettered power damages us all. One needs to ask why those who documented the lies and perpetrated this aren't themselves hounded out of uniforms and office, and jailed for the apparent crimes. There seems to be more fact in support of such charges than anything leveled at the citizen.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    C ooke County is croupt and run poorly.I am suprised the voters continue to put up with this poorly run goverment ! The nurse certainly deserves to be compensated for all the time she was detained.Another example of doing a good deed costing you big time!

In Detroit they gave two cops 7+ million dollars for being wrongly fired.

I don’t think some of the municipal employees realize just how terrifying it is to be locked up for something you haven’t done! Then add to it that you haven’t had any experience with the way police treat their captives. Ignoring them for hours at a time. When contacted it’s in a threaten manor promising more jail time if they don’t confess or cooperate and do it now.

If this were a corporation every one involved would be looking for a new job. That is what should happen here.

The public at large are feed up with things like this from congress down to the parking enforcement.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    As is obvious, the impact of such abuses are not merely monetary. By a vast margin, the worst cost borne by us all is the lasting impact of such abuses. What compensation for that?
    Yes, the impact of the abuses are not merely monetary but that is the only remedy available. The issue that most here are missing is that the award has nothing to do with societal damages of the abuses. The award is for the woman in a specific case and the amount awarded to her in no way is commensurate to the damages she suffered.

IMO, any damages in such a case should not only financially compensate a person for current and future harm to one's income generating potential, but it should absolutely be stout enough to be a significant barrier and warning against future abuses, putting the crooks on notice that such things will not be tolerated.
    The 'crooks' are not paying the damages! They earn their salaryas usual or ehaps they are reprimanded. The award is nothing but a political stunt that provides an undeserved windfall for the poor, poor woman and harms the community at large. It will not impact future abuses at all. Or perhaps someone can explain how a taxpayer funded gift to the woman is a deterrent to future abuses.

Monetary compensation can't hardly do that, beyond the lost income and career damage. It's greatest effect, by far, is in the guard against future criminal/abusive behavior.
    It has no effect whatsoever on future abusive behavior. It is simply a lucky woman winning the guilt lottery. Compensate her for her monetary loss and a bit more for her mistreatment but that does not come to a retirement living of $7M dollars.

I am surrised that most here agree with the ridiculous award. It reminds me of the woman who was awarded millions because she spilled hot coffee on herself. Of ourse, that was eventually vacated. These idiotic awards are often greatly publicized but when the adults review the nonsense of the jury abusing the system the decisions are frequently reversed and reasonable compensation is awarded. I expect that will occur in this case, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Nope, no requirement for even EMS personnel or doctors to assist if they are off duty. Not in this country, anyway.
    Cupcake,

In looking this up to refute you, I have come to the conclusion that you are correct. My apologies to all for the misinformation. Incidentally, for Joe Citizen, there are only 3 states that have any sort of law on the books saying you have a duty to help someone in grave danger. The most you could be fined in any of the three states was $500 for a petty misdemeanor.

Again, my apologies.

Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member

The compensation is necessary

Yes, the impact of the abuses are not merely monetary but that is the only remedy available. The issue that most here are missing is that the award has nothing to do with societal damages of the abuses. The award is for the woman in a specific case and the amount awarded to her in no way is commensurate to the damages she suffered.

The 'crooks' are not paying the damages! They earn their salaryas usual or ehaps they are reprimanded. The award is nothing but a political stunt that provides an undeserved windfall for the poor, poor woman and harms the community at large. It will not impact future abuses at all. Or perhaps someone can explain how a taxpayer funded gift to the woman is a deterrent to future abuses.

It has no effect whatsoever on future abusive behavior. It is simply a lucky woman winning the guilt lottery. Compensate her for her monetary loss and a bit more for her mistreatment but that does not come to a retirement living of $7M dollars.
    An award of this magnitude is necessary to: a) compensate the victim in a reasonable manner; b) pay what no doubt were huge legal and investigatory bills necessary to uncover to wrongdoing and prove it;* c) send an unmistakable message to the City Management, the Police Chief, the DA, the Jailer, the judge who initially heard the
    cooked up case and denied bail, and the defender's office which did nothing at all.

Now you are right, these folks probably all have kept their jobs.

Maybe, when the city/county actually has to write the check--

Let us hope that somewhere along the way the higher officials (elected) will see to the firing of those involved. It is ok to sock it to the taxpayers who after all voted for the fools. OR, can vote with their feet and move to (pick your favorite state; Arizona).

And, the futility of expecting reform is why I strongly feel a special master needs to be appointed to oversee the PD. Its been done elsewhere (LA I think, maybe Detroit also, not sure) and it is perfectly legal, notwithstanding theoretical considerations of limited judicial authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Cupcake,

In looking this up to refute you, I have come to the conclusion that you are correct. My apologies to all for the misinformation. Incidentally, for Joe Citizen, there are only 3 states that have any sort of law on the books saying you have a duty to help someone in grave danger. The most you could be fined in any of the three states was $500 for a petty misdemeanor.

Again, my apologies.

Herk

Hey, You learned me something too. I didn't know there was anything in any state. FWIW, Once we do intervene, we can't just leave the patient. We have to hand them over to an appropriately trained person who accepts patient care. Otherwise, we are guilty of patient abandonment. Mayb I shouldn't say "we." Old habit, I haven't worked the road or held a license in almost 5 years.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Yes, the impact of the abuses are not merely monetary but that is the only remedy available. The issue that most here are missing is that the award has nothing to do with societal damages of the abuses.
    No, the only remedy from this case was monetary. Citizens can indeed sue for redress and file charges. Going after the individuals responsible wasn't the point of this specific case. Doesn't mean no other redress is possible.

Yes, this specific award doesn't address societal damages, other than obliquely. Doesn't mean redress can't cover that.

At the end of the day, no public budget is endless. That $7M is coming from somewhere, and someone's going to be bummed if a series of these drains the coffers to the point when it stings that organization and its related governing entities. Like peer pressure in any group that's saddled with a problem of a wayward member, peers (in this case, the community) can be a heavy weapon against such abuses, in the long term.

Where's the beef, then? IMO, any such redress should have gone straight to the jugular of the individuals, as well, with charges of wrongful arrest, denial of civil rights, willful lying and falsification on a sworn affidavit/form by the officer(s) involved. Hard to make anything out of the lack of firings, jail terms or fines levied directly against the individuals involved, other than assuming the lawsuit sought sought none of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    ...Anyway, the average trained nurse has no idea what is or isn't a legitimate rescue technique. So I don't buy that not performing a "proper" extrication indicates malicious intent.
    +1 on that!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links