Woman arrested after pulling officer from wreck

This is a discussion on Woman arrested after pulling officer from wreck within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SelfDefense Do I get a cookie? I think I have half an oatmeal raisin cookie in my office somewhere... I used equitable ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Woman arrested after pulling officer from wreck

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Do I get a cookie?
    I think I have half an oatmeal raisin cookie in my office somewhere...

I used equitable in that both parties are treated equally.
    Well, this probably is a pet peeve of mine (from hearing that 'promoting a just and equitable society' nonsense too often on NPR), but justice and equality represent a pretty strong dichotomy the way I look at things. One can aim for equality of opportunity and just outcomes, but I do not believe outcomes can be both just and equitable.

In this case the woman received an award that was not equitable. And, it was not just either. [...] $7M for ten months of inconveneience and mistreatment is obviously ridiculous.
    Obviously there is disagreement on that statement just here in this thread. And when it comes to civil damage awards, one could easily argue that they are like housing prices---if somebody is willing to pay $X million for a house, that house is worth $X million. Thus back to my argument: if the people of Chicago are willing to keep re-electing bozos who incur, through their malice and incompetence, multi-million dollar payments extracted from their constituency, then it must be fair, no?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Well, this probably is a pet peeve of mine (from hearing that 'promoting a just and equitable society' nonsense too often on NPR), but justice and equality represent a pretty strong dichotomy the way I look at things. One can aim for equality of opportunity and just outcomes, but I do not believe outcomes can be both just and equitable.
    I would suggest eliminating NPR from your media list. The publicly funded liberal propaganda network has provided a distorted interpretation of both equitable and just.

Equitable in no way implies equal. It means dealing fairly and equally with all parties involved. Yes, the root word equal is used in both yours and my sentences by the meaning is very different in each context.

It this context, equitable means bth parties are treated fairly. Giving the woman $7M is not a fair result given the damages she incurred. Just is a moral determination. The fact she was wronged and the guilty parties (the state) identified and penalized is a just result. Sometimes an award of one cent is just but not equitable.
    [QOUTE]Obviously there is disagreement on that statement just here in this thread. And when it comes to civil damage awards, one could easily argue that they are like housing prices---if somebody is willing to pay $X million for a house, that house is worth $X million. Thus back to my argument: if the people of Chicago are willing to keep re-electing bozos who incur, through their malice and incompetence, multi-million dollar payments extracted from their constituency, then it must be fair, no?[/QUOTE]

No. It is the judicial system that arbitrarily awarded a nonsensical amount of money. They have no such power to extort the public to vote for people who will not abuse the public. Their ONLY interest is to determine percentages of guilt and awarding damages for a particular case. They do not make policy. In this case, the judicial branch failed miserably and I expect the award will be reduced by an order of magnitude once some responsible adults review the matter. But that won;t make the sensationalistic news that this over the top award has prodiced.

No. It is the judicial system that arbitrarily awarded a nonsensical amount of money. They have no such power to extort the public to vote for people who will not abuse the public. Their ONLY interest is to determine percentages of guilt and awarding damages for a particular case. They do not make policy. In this case, the judicial branch failed miserably and I expect the award will be reduced by an order of magnitude once some responsible adults review the matter. But that won;t make the sensationalistic news that this over the top award has prodiced.
    You state that the judicial system has somehow failed. However, you overlook the fact that the juduciary is not yet through with the case and correctly state that the award will be reduced on review (which it undoubtedly will).

You suggest that the solution for excessive award is to vote. Since when did we start getting to vote for jurors?

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    You state that the judicial system has somehow failed. However, you overlook the fact that the juduciary is not yet through with the case and correctly state that the award will be reduced on review (which it undoubtedly will).

You suggest that the solution for excessive award is to vote. Since when did we start getting to vote for jurors?
    Sorry, my post was not worded well. The vote comment was for the citizens to remove the elected officials that oversee those employees that abuse the public. This was in response to the idea that large judicial awards should be used to influence the public to vote similarly. I have a big problem with the courts attempting to influence the public beyond it narrow jurisdiction.

I agree completely that the same judicial system, though different individuals, will reduce the award. The first court opinion I consider a failure of the system. It is good we have a system in place to correct judicial wrongdoing.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    No. It is the judicial system that arbitrarily awarded a nonsensical amount of money.
    Was this a jury trial? If so the 'judicial system' that made the award is actually a jury made up of, presumably, the same taxpayers who will end up footing the bill.

I still don't find myself all that concerned with the award amount.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I agree witk kazz. The purpose of a large fine for speeding is to send a clear message to the speeder. Same with a miscarrige of justice such as occured in this case. The award will, without doubt, cause the local authorities to clean up their act.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I question the "very little" food or water bit. I'm not saying she wasn't really wronged, but I can't fathom a "starvation" treatment. I imagine she got what everyone else got, but maybe it wasn't what she (or most Americans) was used to.
    +1 on that!

I think Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has the cost of his jail meals down to 13-20 cents/meal. I'm sure if any one of us had meals like that for 10 months, we would all consider it a "starvation diet!"

Now I'm sure a lot of us could afford to lose a few pounds... I know I could, but the point is, she had no reason to be subjected to that treatment.

Cities have to be careful who they throw in jail and then turn around drag their feet on providing due process.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links