Ramos-Compean convictions affirmed

This is a discussion on Ramos-Compean convictions affirmed within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The latest update; no relief for the Border Patrol agents. Ramos-Compean convictions affirmed by court of appeals "The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals today " ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ramos-Compean convictions affirmed

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

The latest update; no relief for the Border Patrol agents.

Ramos-Compean convictions affirmed by court of appeals

"The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals today " [2008 July 28] "affirmed the major counts against former Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean, reversing only a minor obstruction of justice count.

Ramos and Compean are serving 11- and 12-year prison sentences, respectively, after a jury convicted them of violating federal gun laws and covering up the shooting of a drug smuggler as he fled back to Mexico after driving across the border with 743 pounds of marijuana in February 2005. U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton's office gave the smuggler, Osbaldo Aldrete-Davila, immunity to serve as the government's star witness and testify against the border agents.

The agents were convicted for assault, discharge of a weapon in the commission of a crime of violence, tampering with an official proceeding and deprivation of civil rights.

The court affirmed all convictions except for tampering with an official proceeding, which it vacated and remanded for resentencing.

The bulk of their sentences, however, stem from a mandatory 10-year minimum sentence imposed by Congress for anyone convicted of discharging a weapon in the commission of a crime. Only a reversal of that count could remove 10 years from their sentences.

The last remaining level of appeal for Ramos and Compean is the U.S. Supreme Court.

The families of the former agents were devastated upon hearing the decision, and Joe Loya, father-in-law to Ramos, told WND the families intend to appeal to the Supreme Court.

Rep. Ted Poe, R-Texas, told WND the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans made a 'bad decision' in siding with the word of a now-convicted drug smuggler rather than the two Border Patrol agents..."

Any prosecutor that would give immunity to an illegal alien drug smuggler in order to convict two Border Patrol Agents should be taken out to the swamp and shot.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Any prosecutor that would give immunity to an illegal alien drug smuggler in order to convict two Border Patrol Agents should be taken out to the swamp and shot.
    Amen
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Hear Hear!
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    While I don't condone cops of any type shooting at some one without good cause I think there is more to this than the BP command is allowing out. I think Charlie Daniels said it best in one of his songs, Take 'im out in the swamp, tie 'im to a stump and let the bugs and aligators do the rest. Take the drug dealer with him.

Some days there simply aren't enough swamps.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

The agents were convicted for assault ...
    I'd think it would take a bit of force to capture a resisting felon who's doing everything possible to avoid being taken while in possession of a third of a ton of drugs.

... discharge of a weapon ...
    Right. They're not party favors.

... deprivation of civil rights.
    Of a felonious drug mule caught in the act, actively resisting arrest???

... tampering with an official proceeding ...
    Can't condone this, ever. Yet, this is the one charge that was dropped. So, what this ends up being is: imprisoned and betrayed for defending our country's borders from felonious death merchants caught in the act.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

CCW, I agree with you completely. I don't condone them interfering with the investigation or trying to cover up what happened, but honestly, the only evidence we have of them interfering or covering up 'what happened', is the word of a 3, or 4 or 20 time loser with immunity...

Hardly rock solid evidence. I think Bush will pardon them before he gets out of office. Hopefully, my faith in Bush is not misplaced.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I emailed the president, both my senators, and my congressman to urge them to do whatever they can to correct this travesty of "justice". My messages may have no effect, but at least I have done all I can.

Email sent to the President, with a letter to follow up, to uphold his oath of office and allow these men to get back to protecting us.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

As soon as my nephew got back from Afghanistan, he transferred to the Canadian Border... Didn't mind facing MS-13 and the like on the southern border, but as long as Johnny Sutton remains Deputy U.S. District Attorney for the southern district, no border agents are safe.

He is now thinking of applying for ICE since he can probably get assigned closer to home.

Very sad day for the Border Patrol.... Morale is in the toilet.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

B52
    A very sad day...our government has failed both of these fine men.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I had been considering joining the Border Patrol after my retirement from the U S Navy last year. I feel I wisely changed my mind though and this case was the primary reason for that change of heart.
    If our brave men that are guarding our borders are not backed up by our government then I want no part of it.
    Ted Poe of Texas is doing his best here. Write your congressmen. Thanks.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I had been considering joining the Border Patrol after my retirement from the U S Navy last year. I feel I wisely changed my mind though and this case was the primary reason for that change of heart.
    If our brave men that are guarding our borders are not backed up by our government then I want no part of it.

I hear you P7, they are always coming by trying to recruit and that's my first thought as to why I would never work for the Border Patrol as it stands. I feel for those agents and their families. Unfortunately, I have no faith that Pres Bush will pardon them, especially after he lied to us about the housing bill and supported it anyways.

I'm retired from the Border Patrol. Today, the outfit is much different from the Border Patrol I joined when I came home from Viet Nam. A person would have to be masochistically insane to join it as it exists today.

I've gone over the facts of the Ramos and Compean shoot with friends who are part of their food chain. The two agents did nothing incorrectly - either before firing or after.

At the time (back in the day) I thought that my Patrol was held hostage to the stupid political whims of Jimmy Carter and to the nefarious designs of his bumbling appointee as INS Commissioner, Leonel Castillo. As it stands now, those days were nothing when compared to the absolute lunacy of Mr. Bush and the people who work for for him in DOJ.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links