Can someone identify some military decorations? - Page 2

Can someone identify some military decorations?

This is a discussion on Can someone identify some military decorations? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by atctimmy I had to bring in my DD-214 (discharge papers) to a NOVA sheriff to prove that I had military training. While ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone identify some military decorations?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I had to bring in my DD-214 (discharge papers) to a NOVA sheriff to prove that I had military training. While he was not exactly rude he was certainly not friendly of helpful. When he read my awards he got real friendly and real helpful and things went very smooth from there on out. As I was leaving curiosity got the best of him and he asked what did I get the Bronze Star for. I said what??? After I left I read my awards again and it says "Southwest Asia service medal w/ Bronze Star (cluster was omitted)". I had to laugh. For those who don't know a bronze star cluster shows that I was awarded the previous medal multiple times, not that I was a war hero who went above and beyond the call of duty.
    ahhh Timmy... that is too funny!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I had to bring in my DD-214 (discharge papers) to a NOVA sheriff to prove that I had military training. While he was not exactly rude he was certainly not friendly of helpful. When he read my awards he got real friendly and real helpful and things went very smooth from there on out. As I was leaving curiosity got the best of him and he asked what did I get the Bronze Star for. I said what??? After I left I read my awards again and it says "Southwest Asia service medal w/ Bronze Star (cluster was omitted)". I had to laugh. For those who don't know a bronze star cluster shows that I was awarded the previous medal multiple times, not that I was a war hero who went above and beyond the call of duty.
    That is funny! Didn't realize I had been awared three bronze stars!

he asked what did I get the Bronze Star for.
    You should have told him that you got it for saving the local Sheriff's life while in country

Did you explain to him what that meant, or just let him think what he wants to think?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    The Bronze Star Medal was also awarded for meritorious service in the combat theater.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    You should have told him that you got it for saving the local Sheriff's life while in country

Did you explain to him what that meant, or just let him think what he wants to think?
    No I didn't figure out what he was talking about till after I'd already left.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

The Bronze Star can also be awarded for acts of merit or meritorious service. When it is awarded for bravery in combat, there is a "V" device (for valor) that is attached to the medal and the ribbon. My Dad was awarded the Bronze Star with "V" device for actions during combat in Korea. A friend of mine was awarded a Bronze Star (without the V) for meritorious service during a tour in Iraq in 2004.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links