Can someone identify some military decorations?

This is a discussion on Can someone identify some military decorations? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was going through some of my dad's stuff and found his military decorations. I am not sure what they are or what they mean. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone identify some military decorations?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Can someone identify some military decorations?

I was going through some of my dad's stuff and found his military decorations. I am not sure what they are or what they mean. I am pretty sure the star is the bronze star but not sure what it means.

This is vintage 1944 so I am not sure how much has changed.

Can anyone help?
    Attached Images
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

the medal is a bronze star for braveryIs usually awarded for bravery above and beyond the call of duty and involves being under hostile fire in combat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Here is a website that gives descripitions of military medals

U.S. Army Individual Decorations

The red and white striped on is an Army good conduct medal, which you get for 3 years of good conduct while in the army if my memory is correct.

The bronze star is an award for valor, as stated above.

Gonna have to do some digging on the patches.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You may want to request a copy of his military record so you gain knowledge of any other citations he might have been awarded.

Go here for that.

You have the shoulder insignia upside down from what I see, looks like 95th airborne sleeve patches.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Here's a link to WWII US Army Division Insignias. The 95th is about half way down the page, and appears to have it's own website.

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia of Divisions Part Three

Administrator
    "Just blame Sixto"

Bronze star is the third or fourth highest honor in the armed services, correct? Someone else will know, I'm sure.

My grandfather also has a bronze star He served in Europe through '44 and '45, arriving a month or so after D-Day. He never, ever, ever talks about it; this is a man who is the sole survivor from his squad. My dad (his son-in-law, aka aznav) eventually got him to briefly open up about it. As I understand it, he and his buddy captured a couple dozen German soldiers in a village in...? Belgium? Eastern France?

It's hard to even begin to understand the lives lived by that generation.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    Bronze star is the third or fourth highest honor in the armed services, correct? Someone else will know, I'm sure.

My grandfather also has a bronze star He served in Europe through '44 and '45, arriving a month or so after D-Day. He never, ever, ever talks about it; this is a man who is the sole survivor from his squad. My dad (his son-in-law, aka aznav) eventually got him to briefly open up about it. As I understand it, he and his buddy captured a couple dozen German soldiers in a village in...? Belgium? Eastern France?

It's hard to even begin to understand the lives lived by that generation.
    Depends on the Branch, for the Marines it is Medal of Honor, Navy cross, silver star, bronze star for the valor medals as far as I know.

I think the Army is MOH, Distinguished service cross, silver star, bronze star.

I could be mistaken. Either way anyone who has a bronze star definately has my utmost respect.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

For the Marine Corps, there are several other medals worn higher up in precedence on the uniform than the Bronze Star such as the Navy Marine Corps Medal, The Legion of Merit, The Distinguished Service Medal.

The Bronze Star is actually 10th in line of order followed immediately by the Purple Heart.

However, as for awards given for acts of valor, heroism and bravery, the Bronze Star is 5th in order. It is preceded from the top by The Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross and then Bronze Star.

You were close buckeye... Semper Fi

MARINE CORPS ORDER OF DISPLAY/WEAR
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    For the Marine Corps, there are several other medals worn higher up in precedence on the uniform than the Bronze Star such as the Navy Marine Corps Medal, The Legion of Merit, The Distinguished Service Medal.

The Bronze Star is actually 10th in line of order followed immediately by the Purple Heart.

However, as for awards given for acts of valor, heroism and bravery, the Bronze Star is 5th in order. It is preceded from the top by The Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross and then Bronze Star.

You were close buckeye... Semper Fi

MARINE CORPS ORDER OF DISPLAY/WEAR
    Yeah, well, I don't know many grunts who get DFC's, so that one slips my mind sometimes, regardless, being awarded a bronze small is no small deal. Exactly, you can probably find records of his citation somewhere, should be public record, if you want to that is.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Well... I was an Air Winger.... Go Raging Bulls! LMAO

And yes, a Bronze Star is no small thing! Absolutely 100% on that brother! Ooh Rah!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Wow. I am going to have to look more into that bronze star. We tried to get him to talk about it, but as stated in a previous thread, he just never opened up. I think I will ask his brother. He might have some insight.

Thanks for all the info.

As a side note, on his military ID card there is his picture when he was about 23 years old. It is indistinguishable between him and my older brother. I guess genetics does work. (Ya, ya, ya, I look like the milkman. OK, now you don't have to say it.)
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    I had to bring in my DD-214 (discharge papers) to a NOVA sheriff to prove that I had military training. While he was not exactly rude he was certainly not friendly of helpful. When he read my awards he got real friendly and real helpful and things went very smooth from there on out. As I was leaving curiosity got the best of him and he asked what did I get the Bronze Star for. I said what??? After I left I read my awards again and it says "Southwest Asia service medal w/ Bronze Star (cluster was omitted)". I had to laugh. For those who don't know a bronze star cluster shows that I was awarded the previous medal multiple times, not that I was a war hero who went above and beyond the call of duty.
    Last edited by atctimmy; July 29th, 2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add caps
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links