Is it possible to be a Ohio LEO before age 21

This is a discussion on Is it possible to be a Ohio LEO before age 21 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was reading over the Ohio Revised Code and came across this.... 2923.211 Underage purchase of firearm or handgun. (A) No person under eighteen years ...

Thread: Is it possible to be a Ohio LEO before age 21

I was reading over the Ohio Revised Code and came across this....

2923.211 Underage purchase of firearm or handgun.

(A) No person under eighteen years of age shall purchase or attempt to purchase a firearm.

(B) No person under twenty-one years of age shall purchase or attempt to purchase a handgun, provided that this division does not apply to the purchase or attempted purchase of a handgun by a person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age if the person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age is a law enforcement officer who is properly appointed or employed as a law enforcement officer and has received firearms training approved by the Ohio peace officer training council or equivalent firearms training.

(C) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of underage purchase of a firearm, a delinquent act that would be a felony of the fourth degree if it could be committed by an adult. Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of underage purchase of a handgun, a misdemeanor of the second degree.

Was just wondering why this exception exists. Are there places in Ohio that have 18 year old LEOs?

I think I remember seeing once an ad for a sheriff's office that would hire you on at 18 as a corrections officer, it seemed kind of odd so I took note of it.

It is probably possible, but I doubt it happens too often. I know a lot of departments want you to be at least 21.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Yes, a township or a village can hire someone under 21 but at least 18. Its rare, but some rural agencies do it.

S.O.'s do hire at 18 a lot of times in corrections, and they can be certified at 18 if they have an agency sponsorship. Some times they will allow the jailer who are certified LEO's to work details or do low risk prisoner transports, all of which require them to be armed.
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 30th, 2008 at 02:11 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

WI and MI can hire an 18yo as a police officer. They can't purchase pistol ammo from a dealer, but the agency can issue it to them. It's an individual agency choice to hire 18-20yo.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

It depends on the maturity of the individual some guys have more responsibility and maturity at 19 or 20 than some 30 year olds
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links