The (possible) story behind my dadís bronze star

This is a discussion on The (possible) story behind my dadís bronze star within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know your frustration. I have tried to track my Dad's service; his records were lost in the fire as well. He told me a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The (possible) story behind my dadís bronze star

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I know your frustration. I have tried to track my Dad's service; his records were lost in the fire as well.

He told me a few stories, but not much. One of his old Korean War decoration bars has what appears to be a bronze star in it, but there is no mention of any award, or an actual ribbon. Just leaves me wondering...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Bronze Stars in WW2 question.

Googled Bronze Star on net and saw some Bronze Star forum dialog on this site, and was hoping to gain some insight. My father was in WW2 with General Patton's 4th Armored Division. He never really talked about WW2, yet he talked about the levity of the experince all the time. My father passed away years ago and after my mother passed recently I recieved and looked at my father's discharge papers. Among other things my Father has 7 bronze stars listed on his discharge papers. To me 7 bronze stars seems to be an unusaully large number of bronze stars? Have been told that most records of the WW2 bronze stars were destoyed in a DC building fire?

Just trying to gather info and better understand. ANy insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Bark'n likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Agreed. One thing that all need to be aware of: many of the records from the World War II era were destroyed in a fire at St. Louis some time ago (in the seventies?). I had my deceased father's pocket discharge card (equivalent of a DD Form 214), so I know what he was awarded, but when I requested more complete records a few weeks ago, I was told that his records were among those destroyed. So were my wife's father's, and we have no records of his service (especially unfortunate, since he was in the Engineer unit that helped capture the Ludendorff bridge at Remagen). If your relatives are still living, you really do need to find a way, if possible, to talk to them about their experiences. I know that will not be easy, for many of them are too modest, and the experiences were not pleasant.

They are the Greatest Generation.
    Here is one place you might start your search Start Your Military Service Record (DD Form 214) Request . Sadly my fatherís records were lost in the fire also and since he passed in 1973 I have no way of learning of his combat history, but I do know that when he passed he still had shrapnel in his feet and legs so I am sure he was wounded but I never learned where or how.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

AJrare, seven Bronze Stars is quite a large number. Did he serve only during WWII or was he a career soldier? I could possibly see a career soldier ending up with seven as a matter of meritorious/valorous service through the years, but if he had seven Bronze Stars from service during WWII he did some truly brave things over and over again.

One thing people might want to do is Google their loved ones name with "Bronze Star" or whatever award, they might be able to find a citation. I found one website just fiddling around one night that had all the KIA Vietnam vets from WI with a listing of citations and such. It might be possible to find a site from either their unit where you could possibly get in contact with men that your family member served with and they may be willing to share what they know.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links