Defensive Carry banner

The (possible) story behind my dad’s bronze star

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  45ACP4ever 
#1 ·
I had a chance to speak with a few of my relatives last night and inquired about my dad’s bronze star. I spoke with his brother and my mom’s brother. It was over 65 years ago so details are a little sketchy, but from what I could gather, here is something of what happened.

During WWII my dad was a medic. One night, possibly during the Battle of the Bulge, he was bringing back soldiers who where wounded. Apparently, a few of them were pinned down by German machine guns. He ostensively did something heroic to get a few of those soldiers back under intense machine gun fire.

During one of those runs, he ran into a German soldier. My dad was on the ground and the German was standing over him pointing his rifle at him. Being a medic, my dad was unarmed. The German pulled the trigger and all the German heard was a click. Before the German had a chance to clear his FTF, another American soldier shot him. My uncle said, that if that gun did not malfunction, I would not be here today. I guess there are times when a FTF is a good thing. :yup:

His brother told me that my dad brought back a Luger when he returned from Germany. I would love to see that gun. It is long gone, but it would be my most treasured gun.

Many, many years ago when the movie The Longest Day (about the D-day invasion) came out, he took us to see it. He only mentioned that he was there and I kind of remember he was reminiscing about it privately as we left the movie.

I am going to call the VA when I get back and try to find the details behind his commendation. He never spoke about it…ever.

See less See more
#2 ·
Rock on for your Dad, another great American example for us all to strive to repay that debt.

It is awesome that you have that story, I have tried to find out abut my Grandfather who was at Ft. Sandia in Los Alamos during WWII, but have not been able to. Let me know how your discussion with the VA goes, I may try that route as well.

I have read a little about the Battle of the Bulge, I almost got to go see that area when I was in the Netherlands earlier this year, got too busy at work, and I was in Eindhoven which is not that far from Antwerp (dang it, story of my life).

#15 ·
I have read a little about the Battle of the Bulge, I almost got to go see that area when I was in the Netherlands earlier this year, got too busy at work, and I was in Eindhoven which is not that far from Antwerp (dang it, story of my life).
Actually, the Battle of the Bulge was in and around Bastogne, which is about two hours east of Antwerp. We used to go to the annual commemorative march every December about a week before Christmas, hiking 20km along a route that had some significance to the battle. We also did the Scout trail in the area. It is truly an amazing place.

Antwerp is cool too! I got to run the Olympic torch there in 2004, on the left bank.

Cheers! M2

#3 ·
There is a reason they were considered the best generation. Much thanks to both of those brave men. My grandfather fought in Korea. It was bitter cold, and he used to have nightmares about it. Many a times he would confuse my grandmother for one of them and be strangling her in bed. One night in the trenches, one of the Korean's crawled over and slit the throat of the man next to my grandfather, so I guess I am lucky to be here too. God bless all those men who fought for our country!

#4 ·
My Dad was at Okinawa, Pelilui, Leyte Gulf and two others that I don't know according to Mom. I was the "unplanned oops".

I remember seeing his discharge papers and they said he was awarded three Bronze Stars with "V for Valor". As he used to say, "That and a quarter will buy you a cup of coffee." :smile:

My Uncle was KIA at The Battle of The Bulge, so maybe my Uncle ran in to your Dad there. In some ways it's a very small world. My wife's Grandfather was a Jap POW. Our Father's generation, and Mother's too, is truly the "Greatest Generation" and as I grow older I am more and more amazed at what they went through. They were all HEROS in my book.

Biker :palmier:

#12 ·
Cool story, glad you are starting to get some of it.

I have a friend who after the grandfather died they found a silver star and newspaper clipping about him being a flame-thrower Marine, he never told his family about any of it.

#13 ·
Exactly,

Glad you were able to get the bit of information you did. It does tend to give one a profound respect for one's elders(whether you already had it or not). I'd like to find out about my some of my Grandfathers medals, but I suppose that is all in due time. Thankfully he is still living. Although he has spoken of a few of his experiences maybe once or twice with myself and my father while on a fishing trip, but that's about it. My grandmother and everyone else has no idea what he did to earn his medals or even all of the ones he has and I think he wants to keep it that way. He has one or two in his study room but he's got a box full of medals and ribbons that he showed me once many years ago after I prodded him for a while. That one time was the last I saw of them. He keeps them all in a box in the closet. I suppose he just doesn't want all the reminders.

I have seen my folks wedding pictures though and my grandfather was in his dress uniform for it with a chest chocked full of ribbons. The photos are old though and the shots are too small to pick out all the individual ribbons.

That generation is a one of a kind breed. Some would argue the best of us all.

#14 ·
Exactly,I'd like to find out about my some of my Grandfathers medals, but I suppose that is all in due time. Thankfully he is still living. Although he has spoken of a few of his experiences maybe once or twice with myself and my father while on a fishing trip, but that's about it. My grandmother and everyone else has no idea what he did to earn his medals or even all of the ones he has and I think he wants to keep it that way. He has one or two in his study room but he's got a box full of medals and ribbons that he showed me once many years ago after I prodded him for a while. That one time was the last I saw of them. He keeps them all in a box in the closet. I suppose he just doesn't want all the reminders.

That generation is a one of a kind breed. Some would argue the best of us all.
Agreed. One thing that all need to be aware of: many of the records from the World War II era were destroyed in a fire at St. Louis some time ago (in the seventies?). I had my deceased father's pocket discharge card (equivalent of a DD Form 214), so I know what he was awarded, but when I requested more complete records a few weeks ago, I was told that his records were among those destroyed. So were my wife's father's, and we have no records of his service (especially unfortunate, since he was in the Engineer unit that helped capture the Ludendorff bridge at Remagen). If your relatives are still living, you really do need to find a way, if possible, to talk to them about their experiences. I know that will not be easy, for many of them are too modest, and the experiences were not pleasant.

They are the Greatest Generation.

#16 ·
I know your frustration. I have tried to track my Dad's service; his records were lost in the fire as well.

He told me a few stories, but not much. One of his old Korean War decoration bars has what appears to be a bronze star in it, but there is no mention of any award, or an actual ribbon. Just leaves me wondering...

#17 ·
Bronze Stars in WW2 question.

Googled Bronze Star on net and saw some Bronze Star forum dialog on this site, and was hoping to gain some insight. My father was in WW2 with General Patton's 4th Armored Division. He never really talked about WW2, yet he talked about the levity of the experince all the time. My father passed away years ago and after my mother passed recently I recieved and looked at my father's discharge papers. Among other things my Father has 7 bronze stars listed on his discharge papers. To me 7 bronze stars seems to be an unusaully large number of bronze stars? Have been told that most records of the WW2 bronze stars were destoyed in a DC building fire?

Just trying to gather info and better understand. ANy insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

#18 ·
Text Font Calligraphy

Reactions: Bark'n
#20 ·
AJrare, seven Bronze Stars is quite a large number. Did he serve only during WWII or was he a career soldier? I could possibly see a career soldier ending up with seven as a matter of meritorious/valorous service through the years, but if he had seven Bronze Stars from service during WWII he did some truly brave things over and over again.

One thing people might want to do is Google their loved ones name with "Bronze Star" or whatever award, they might be able to find a citation. I found one website just fiddling around one night that had all the KIA Vietnam vets from WI with a listing of citations and such. It might be possible to find a site from either their unit where you could possibly get in contact with men that your family member served with and they may be willing to share what they know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.