The (possible) story behind my dadís bronze star

This is a discussion on The (possible) story behind my dadís bronze star within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a chance to speak with a few of my relatives last night and inquired about my dad’s bronze star. I spoke with his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The (possible) story behind my dadís bronze star

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I had a chance to speak with a few of my relatives last night and inquired about my dad’s bronze star. I spoke with his brother and my mom’s brother. It was over 65 years ago so details are a little sketchy, but from what I could gather, here is something of what happened.

During WWII my dad was a medic. One night, possibly during the Battle of the Bulge, he was bringing back soldiers who where wounded. Apparently, a few of them were pinned down by German machine guns. He ostensively did something heroic to get a few of those soldiers back under intense machine gun fire.

During one of those runs, he ran into a German soldier. My dad was on the ground and the German was standing over him pointing his rifle at him. Being a medic, my dad was unarmed. The German pulled the trigger and all the German heard was a click. Before the German had a chance to clear his FTF, another American soldier shot him. My uncle said, that if that gun did not malfunction, I would not be here today. I guess there are times when a FTF is a good thing.

His brother told me that my dad brought back a Luger when he returned from Germany. I would love to see that gun. It is long gone, but it would be my most treasured gun.

Many, many years ago when the movie The Longest Day (about the D-day invasion) came out, he took us to see it. He only mentioned that he was there and I kind of remember he was reminiscing about it privately as we left the movie.

I am going to call the VA when I get back and try to find the details behind his commendation. He never spoke about it…ever.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Rock on for your Dad, another great American example for us all to strive to repay that debt.

It is awesome that you have that story, I have tried to find out abut my Grandfather who was at Ft. Sandia in Los Alamos during WWII, but have not been able to. Let me know how your discussion with the VA goes, I may try that route as well.

I have read a little about the Battle of the Bulge, I almost got to go see that area when I was in the Netherlands earlier this year, got too busy at work, and I was in Eindhoven which is not that far from Antwerp (dang it, story of my life).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

There is a reason they were considered the best generation. Much thanks to both of those brave men. My grandfather fought in Korea. It was bitter cold, and he used to have nightmares about it. Many a times he would confuse my grandmother for one of them and be strangling her in bed. One night in the trenches, one of the Korean's crawled over and slit the throat of the man next to my grandfather, so I guess I am lucky to be here too. God bless all those men who fought for our country!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

My Dad was at Okinawa, Pelilui, Leyte Gulf and two others that I don't know according to Mom. I was the "unplanned oops".

I remember seeing his discharge papers and they said he was awarded three Bronze Stars with "V for Valor". As he used to say, "That and a quarter will buy you a cup of coffee."

My Uncle was KIA at The Battle of The Bulge, so maybe my Uncle ran in to your Dad there. In some ways it's a very small world. My wife's Grandfather was a Jap POW. Our Father's generation, and Mother's too, is truly the "Greatest Generation" and as I grow older I am more and more amazed at what they went through. They were all HEROS in my book.

Biker

VIP Member
    Great stories guys.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Your best bet is to file a FOIA request with the Army and see if the actual citation is filed in some wharehouse or was converted to microfiche.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Your best bet is to file a FOIA request with the Army and see if the actual citation is filed in some wharehouse or was converted to microfiche.
    Sweet, thanks for this one.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Administrator
    No matter how your Dad got it, he did something special. They don't just hand those out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Sweet, thanks for this one.
    Before you start the FOIA request, request your dad's military record (DD214 or equivalent) and see if he has any other awards you would like to get citations for. (i.e., if he got a bronze star he could have gotten a purple heart as well, or he could have got a purple heart on its own merit for some other event, etc). Heres the link to the military records request webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Before you start the FOIA request, request your dad's military record (DD214 or equivalent) and see if he has any other awards you would like to get citations for. (i.e., if he got a bronze star he could have gotten a purple heart as well, or he could have got a purple heart on its own merit for some other event, etc). Heres the link to the military records request webpage.
    No need, I think all my Grandfather did was run the NCO club, which is has its importance as well .

Still good info to check on, since I only have a few of his patches and some pictures and a Sandia phone list with his name on it.

-Paco

No need, I think all my Grandfather did was run the NCO club, which is has its importance as well .

Still good info to check on, since I only have a few of his patches and some pictures and a Sandia phone list with his name on it.
    I got your post mixed up with the OP's one. Still, ask for a DD214 or equivalent, the request is free of charge as far as I know; FOIAs are the ones you have to specify the amount you are willing to pay in order to start the research /receive the info. You never know what your dad might have done in addition to running the NCO club, maybe that was a gig he got for being wounded after serving in the front , who knows.

Cool story, glad you are starting to get some of it.

I have a friend who after the grandfather died they found a silver star and newspaper clipping about him being a flame-thrower Marine, he never told his family about any of it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Exactly,

Glad you were able to get the bit of information you did. It does tend to give one a profound respect for one's elders(whether you already had it or not). I'd like to find out about my some of my Grandfathers medals, but I suppose that is all in due time. Thankfully he is still living. Although he has spoken of a few of his experiences maybe once or twice with myself and my father while on a fishing trip, but that's about it. My grandmother and everyone else has no idea what he did to earn his medals or even all of the ones he has and I think he wants to keep it that way. He has one or two in his study room but he's got a box full of medals and ribbons that he showed me once many years ago after I prodded him for a while. That one time was the last I saw of them. He keeps them all in a box in the closet. I suppose he just doesn't want all the reminders.

I have seen my folks wedding pictures though and my grandfather was in his dress uniform for it with a chest chocked full of ribbons. The photos are old though and the shots are too small to pick out all the individual ribbons.

That generation is a one of a kind breed. Some would argue the best of us all.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Exactly,I'd like to find out about my some of my Grandfathers medals, but I suppose that is all in due time. Thankfully he is still living. Although he has spoken of a few of his experiences maybe once or twice with myself and my father while on a fishing trip, but that's about it. My grandmother and everyone else has no idea what he did to earn his medals or even all of the ones he has and I think he wants to keep it that way. He has one or two in his study room but he's got a box full of medals and ribbons that he showed me once many years ago after I prodded him for a while. That one time was the last I saw of them. He keeps them all in a box in the closet. I suppose he just doesn't want all the reminders.

That generation is a one of a kind breed. Some would argue the best of us all.
    Agreed. One thing that all need to be aware of: many of the records from the World War II era were destroyed in a fire at St. Louis some time ago (in the seventies?). I had my deceased father's pocket discharge card (equivalent of a DD Form 214), so I know what he was awarded, but when I requested more complete records a few weeks ago, I was told that his records were among those destroyed. So were my wife's father's, and we have no records of his service (especially unfortunate, since he was in the Engineer unit that helped capture the Ludendorff bridge at Remagen). If your relatives are still living, you really do need to find a way, if possible, to talk to them about their experiences. I know that will not be easy, for many of them are too modest, and the experiences were not pleasant.

They are the Greatest Generation.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

M2
    I have read a little about the Battle of the Bulge, I almost got to go see that area when I was in the Netherlands earlier this year, got too busy at work, and I was in Eindhoven which is not that far from Antwerp (dang it, story of my life).
    Actually, the Battle of the Bulge was in and around Bastogne, which is about two hours east of Antwerp. We used to go to the annual commemorative march every December about a week before Christmas, hiking 20km along a route that had some significance to the battle. We also did the Scout trail in the area. It is truly an amazing place.

Antwerp is cool too! I got to run the Olympic torch there in 2004, on the left bank.

Cheers! M2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links