McDonalds to power Manila's police cars

This is a discussion on McDonalds to power Manila's police cars within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; McDonalds to power Manila's police cars Police in Manila are looking to convert their patrol cars to run on a mixture of diesel and used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McDonalds to power Manila's police cars

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Police in Manila are looking to convert their patrol cars to run on a mixture of diesel and used cooking oil from McDonald's, officials and the company said Tuesday.

With oil prices at crippling highs, the project would convert cars in the Makati financial district to run on a mix of 40 percent diesel and 60 percent cooking oil, its police chief Senior Superintendent Gilbert Cruz said.

Used cooking oil will be donated by Makati outlets of the hamburger giant, said McDonalds franchising manager Buth Salaya.

Other restaurants are also considering donating their used cooking oil as well, Cruz said.

One police car has been converted to use the diesel/cooking oil mixture and is already in use, and the government is studying how viable it is to convert more vehicles.

"It's a win-win situation for us because we will both benefit," Cruz said. "The cooking oil of their Makati stores will be re-used and the Makati police will use it as a component for their biodiesel and also save money."

The head of police forces in the capital Manila, Geary Barias, said that if the project is successful, he may recommend it being adopted by police forces across the Philippines.
    9-1-1. Fire, police or medical?

I want to report an armed intruder in my house. Oh, ya. Could you bring a Big Mac, too?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Great, french fries are going to cost $4.00 an order (gallon)

Only problem with this theory is that any given McDonald's probably only produces a couple gallons maybe a day, maybe less than that.

The Secret Sauce Patrol. I like it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

B52
    I hope the cars don't get too fat, lol.

JD
    Administrator
    Clogged hoses as well.

Will the cops be using McCuffs?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Will the cops be using McCuffs?
    I don't know, but all of a sudden the Hamburglar makes sense...

I am curious if they are using a frybrid type system or if they are going to convert the oil into biodiesel. Since they are talking about modifying vehicles I would assume they are looking at frybrid/greasecar type system. Might be cheaper for them to process it instead of modifying their fleet.

I run commercial biodiesel in my suburban. Runs great, smells great, and I irk the heck out of a couple of tree huggers I know because my 6000 lb. truck has a smaller carbon footprint than their Toyota Prius!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I just had a McDonalds burger and fries for lunch, in my own little way, I feel better because I am supporting the Manila economy

Good thinking for Mc Donalds.

Mc Donalds should see a dramatic increase in business because of this. With all the police cars running on their oil, everyone including the officers will be hungry after smelling the exhaust and be rushing to get the super sized Mc whatever meal deals.

The more people visit Mc Donalds, the more oil they will have to donate to the police, so more people will visit Mc Donalds, and so on.

Somebody was definately thinking when they came up with this idea.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    It should work, McDonald's gives me gas!!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

PM
    Each vat holds about 7.5 gal (US). Each store/resturant has about 6vats. At the one I work each vat is changed about once every week and a half; the vats are filtered once or twice a day (this removes the crumbs from the fries or breading). The store I work in is a low end store (less than a million $ a year). So each store can supply about 50 gallons of oil when they change vats; depending on the number of stores supplying oil that could be a few thousand gallons a week.

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    Each vat holds about 7.5 gal (US). Each store/resturant has about 6vats. At the one I work each vat is changed about once every week and a half; the vats are filtered once or twice a day (this removes the crumbs from the fries or breading). The store I work in is a low end store (less than a million $ a year). So each store can supply about 50 gallons of oil when they change vats; depending on the number of stores supplying oil that could be a few thousand gallons a week.
    I don't doubt what you say (and not arguing with your point at all), but if there are that many McDonald's (never been to Manila), then there are a likely several hundred police cars too. I still don't see it being that great of a plan, particularly if it works. Then someone will offer McDonald's money for the oil...etc...etc. Gas used to be a good idea too, and there were billions of gallons available each and every day.

As government work I see the whole plan as mostly a good PR event. Maybe not.

VIP Member
    I wonder if they'll get better gas mileage if the old oil has zero transfats?
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by philman View Post
    I don't doubt what you say (and not arguing with your point at all), but if there are that many McDonald's (never been to Manila), then there are a likely several hundred police cars too. I still don't see it being that great of a plan, particularly if it works. Then someone will offer McDonald's money for the oil...etc...etc. Gas used to be a good idea too, and there were billions of gallons available each and every day.

As government work I see the whole plan as mostly a good PR event. Maybe not.
    Actually in a lot of areas people are having to pay to get their oil disposed of. This is starting to change now that biofuels are becoming more widely accepted. But if we assume each store is good for fifty gallons every ten days that is roughly $600-$750 (U.S.)
    per month that each participating store is saving the local government in fuel expenditures. A properly set up waste vegetable oil system ( or burning biodiesel) reduces wear on injection system components, thereby reducing maintenance costs. Environmentally you eliminate 90% of exhaust particulates and it is carbon neutral. The down side is there reports of increases in oxides of nitrogen.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links