8 officers honored in raid gone wrong

This is a discussion on 8 officers honored in raid gone wrong within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That's the headline in today's paper (Richmond [Va.] Times-Dispatch) in the "from wire reports" section on the back page of the front section. "MINNEAPOLIS- Eight ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 officers honored in raid gone wrong

That's the headline in today's paper (Richmond [Va.] Times-Dispatch) in the "from wire reports" section on the back page of the front section.

"MINNEAPOLIS- Eight police officers who raided an innocent family's house last year, trading fire with the terrified husband, have received medals.
    Three officers involved in the Dec. 16 raid, which stemmed from bad information from an informant, received medals of valor Monday from Police Chief Tim Dolan. The other five got medals of commendation.
    There were no physical injuries to anyone involved. Two days later, Dolan apologized and started an investigation.
    But Dolan said in a statement: 'The officers put themselves in harm's way. They were shot at and shot and deserved to be recognized'."

HUH?

What's worse, police cannot hit their target? {Thank goodness!}
    An innocent man having to protect himself and family from the police in the privacy of his own home?

Of course the officers were correct in defending themselves, but medals???

Is the PD going to fix any damage to the man's house?

VIP Member
    Another fine example of why this country is headed down the toilet. I'd say the homeowner has good merit for a lawsuit now!

I don't know about medals, but nor do I think most of the officers had anything to do with choosing their target. I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that most of the team or sometimes all of the team would simply be told where they are serving a warrant today.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    You are correct they are just following orders but the informant should be .......The LEOs should have turned down the medals.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

But Dolan said in a statement: 'The officers put themselves in harm's way. They were shot at and shot and deserved to be recognized'."

a) I thought putting oneself in harm's way was part of the job description.....

b) Getting "shot at" doesn't strike me as particularly heroic, nor does returning fire after being shot at......kind of what we expect.

This is a shame.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    (sigh) I been a logger, commercial fisherman, and garbage collector. All are more dangerous than being a cop, or were back then, and there wasn't any big drama about "Oooo, the guy I just shot at shot back". It was more getting blind sided by something falling, getting scratched by something sharp and filthy, sink holes hidden by berry bushes, chainsaws kicking back off blueberry bushes, being careless about stepping in a bight of line, and so on.

Big whoop. Maybe I'll make up a medal to award myself, after all, I put myself in harm's way to remove what the rats fed on!

Garbage control is probably more valuable to the health of the public than crime control, take a look at how many people have died of disease as opposed to being killed by criminals.

(Parenthetically, organized crime being allowed to grab control of garbage collection... I don't know how to describe that.)

Okay, cops do a necessary and somewhat risky job. Just don't go getting all puffy chested thinking you are the only ones that can get killed doing what you get paid for.

So I guess the only time they don't issue medals for a kick-the-door-in raid is when the homeowner greets the police with coffee and donuts.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I am speechless, they go into the wrong house and then get medals? I think the family should sue the police dept and the informant!
    S&W M&P15X | S&W 642CT
    Mossberg 500 | Remington 700 .308
    Kimber 45 Ultra Crimson Carry 2
    XD 45 Compact | XD 9mm Sub Compact
    Ruger LCP | Ruger 10/22 | Ruger SP101 357 Magnum

I was reading this yesterday...

The only problem I have with the cops getting medals is that they accepted them. It reminds me of a story my Dad told me.

He got his first purple heart in the field, he accepted that.

The second he was supposed to get when someone dropped a case of mortars on his foot and broke it - but they wanted to award it because the injury happened during an attack on their base. His answer, "No way in Hell, ... Sir."

I'd like to think that I'd do the same.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

They accepted the medals? Speaks a bit about personal character doesn't it?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

did they give one to the homeowner?

Sounds to me like he deserved one too!

I wonder what Jesse Ventura would have done if he were still governor?

furthermore, what if the gun owner responded to the invasion with deadly force? Poor guy would be in jail for killing a cop...
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    I wonder what Jesse Ventura would have done if he were still governor?

furthermore, what if the gun owner responded to the invasion with deadly force? Poor guy would be in jail for killing a cop...
    If it's the case I'm thinking of the homeowner was shooting at the cops thinking they were thugs breaking in his house,the cops shot the house up but thankfully didn't hit anybody,they raided the house on a tip from an informant with no corroborating evidence drugs were being sold out of the house.The homeowner didn't speak much english and his son was yelling at him after the shooting started that they were cops,Oh yeah this was one of those special no knock warrants
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

They need to let the homeowner shoot the informant in the butt!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

They were probably told they had to accept the medals as part of department or city PR.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links