Deputy tells of the moments following gator attack

This is a discussion on Deputy tells of the moments following gator attack within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know anyone in St Tammany parish, I just happened to read this follow-up article about the deputies that rescued the boy that had ...

VIP Member

I don't know anyone in St Tammany parish, I just happened to read this follow-up article about the deputies that rescued the boy that had his arm bitten off by an alligator. This happened a couple of days ago. Mods- I posted it here in the leo discussion, as a salute and reminder of these guys hustling to help someone, under bad circumstances.

By Marcelle Hanemann
    St. Tammany News
    On Thursday morning, while St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Detective Ben Godwin was preparing for a follow-up visit to his doctor before returning to duty, he explained why he needed medical clearance and what had happened the prior afternoon in Slidell.

“I was in the subdivision doing an extra patrol in the area for drug-related activities when I overheard the dispatcher telling patrol units about a 911 call regarding a kid who got his arm bitten of by an alligator. It was a kid. We had to go,” Godwin said.

Godwin and his partner, Detective Gordon Summerlin, headed toward the pond and were flagged down by a New Orleans Police Department officer who lives in the subdivision. He told them they would have to take the levee to get to the pond.

“But when we got there, we got there blocked by a chain link fence and the kid was about a mile and a half in,” said Godwin. “All we could do was run. I grabbed a towel I had in my unit, and me and Gordon took off running. I made it to the kid first. He was out by the pond where the alligator attacked.

“I pulled him to the top of the levee. He had bad lacerations on his neck, and his arm was just gone. I wrapped him in the towel and ran back with him.”

The child, Devin Funck, was remarkably calm, said Godwin. The detectives worked to keep him that way, and to keep him alive.

“I kept the towel over him,” said Godwin. “I didn’t want him to see his arm. He talked about paint ball. And he said he was thirsty. I told him I had a Mountain Dew back in the unit, but he couldn’t have all of it because I needed some, too.”

Godwin kept running through the heat of the afternoon. Funck started to turn pale.

“I kept him talking,” said Godwin. “If he’s talking he’s breathing. And he was thinking. He was making sense.”

When they were part way back from the pond, some help arrived.

“A civilian on a mule, a four-wheeler, was coming toward us as I was running back,” said Godwin. “He picked us up and drove us the rest of the way to where the fire department and medical personnel were.

“When we made it back, medical personnel took the kid, and the next thing I knew I woke up in the emergency room.”

The detective suffered a heat stroke. His partner ended up in the emergency room as well. Summerlin was dehydrated.

“We had all our gear on — attack vests, bullet proof vests, thick clothes,” said Godwin. “We didn’t really think about it. It was a kid. If we had thought about it we would have known better.”

The men were in a hurry to rescue a child in great need. And they got to him before the gator returned. The 11-foot-long alligator was later caught and killed, and the boy’s arm was recovered Wednesday evening. But doctors were not able to reattach the limb.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Yep when the adrenalines pumping it's amazing what you can accomplish til after the initial rush is over,sorry to hear about the kids arm but he is alive and hopefully will be able to adapt
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A salute to all LEO's and first responders who put it on the line every day.

Kudos to the LEOs in question. Heat stroke isn't anything to sneeze at.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

+1!
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Administrator
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Ain't that the truth, been through a few myself.

to those that are there in the time of need!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Links