Defensive Carry banner

Negligent Discharge in Courthouse - Deputy U.S. Marshal (Merged)

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Cavalier Knight 
#1 ·
Gun goes off in courthouse - El Paso Times

EL PASO -- Two federal law enforcement officers suffered minor gunshot wounds Monday inside El Paso's federal courthouse when one of their weapons fired accidentally, the U.S. Marshals Service said.

The names of the officers were not released but officials said the wounds were non-life-threatening and both were released after being treated at an area hospital.

Gerry Payan, supervisory deputy for the U.S. Marshals Service, said a marshals service deputy fired his weapon once, wounding himself and a U.S. Border Patrol agent about 10:45 a.m. on the third floor of the courthouse.

Officials said the shooting did not cause any problems at the courthouse and people walked in and out as if nothing out of the ordinary had occurred. Some inside the courthouse asked reporters what was taking place.

The two officers were taken away in ambulances and were seen being taken out of the courthouse on stretchers, their faces covered.

Payan said he did not know of any other shootings inside the courthouse at 511 E. San Antonio. The public is not allowed to carry weapons inside the building, which has metal detectors and security officers at the entrances.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials and FBI were conducting an investigation to determine how the shooting occurred.

"We have been asked by Marshals to conduct a standard shooting review," said Special Agent Andrea Simmons, a spokeswoman for the FBI. She said agents will help determine how the gun went off.

Payan said the incident is "being treated as a shooting, even though it was an accidental shooting."

Although Payan couldn't comment on the type of gun the deputy fired, he said deputies are typically issued Glock 40-caliber handguns. The handguns have the safety on the trigger, according to the Arms Site, a Web site about firearms.

Payan said the deputy will be held responsible for firing the handgun just as any other law enforcement official would in a similar situation.

See less See more
#2 ·
"...when one of their weapons fired accidentally."

Yeah, right!:rolleyes:

The officers gun was just sitting in his holster and all of a sudden it just fired...and woulded two people?

Stay armed...don't be an idiot with your gun...stay safe!

#3 ·
Whoops! Darn the luck. If I was one of the judges in the building when it happened, I'd charge the deputy with something...even if it was disturbing the peace.

#4 ·
Yep, it just went off. He was probably just sitting talking to the other LEO and the darn thing went boom.

See all you folks that carry Glocks, just beware, those things go boom by themselves. :buttkick:

#9 ·
It says that the incident will be investigated, and be treated like every other leo shooting, so nothing will happen to him, must be all of his training that we pay for. First a classroom now a courtroom.

#10 · (Edited)
US Marshal Shoots Himself And A Border Patrol Agent

VIDEO HERE>Shooting.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

40 cal Duty Bullet: $ 0.58

Cool looking Cop Vest, so you can look like all those 'competition' shooters: $ 59.99

Big-Time 'Real Police' Federal Training: $100,000.00

Shooting your buddy in the leg and leaving your loaded gun in a hallway full of convicts: PRICELESS

The US Marshal getting his gun out of the gun locker and shooting himself in the butt check, was treated and released. The Border Patrol Agent in the Blue Raid Jacket underwent surgery to repair damaged tendons and ligaments and now his big toe is disconnected and doesn't work. Could have been way-y-y worse, but it's still negligence.

#11 ·
Uh-Oh! Wonder how many of those convicts got the baton treatment for laughing? Let's watch a replay shall we? Was he even looking at the pistol when he grabbed it? One of the two victims will likely get an increase in pay or a nice paid vacation....can you guess which one?

#14 ·
Sad as it is, that happens alot and its just not reported. To many folks holstering their weapons, Glocks are the most prominant. There are two main causes. #1 is holstering with a finger in the trigger guard ... stupid and nuff said. #2 is the flap on the holster's thumbbreak slipping into the trigger guard and causing the AD. Cant tell from the video which it was, but I'm sure it will be blown up and it will come down to one of those two things. It's a reason I am not a big fan of a thumbbreak and only wear one when required. That would make about the 20th I have seen in my career caused from one of those two things.

#15 ·
A Day In The Life of A U.S. Deputy Marshal

Accidental gun discharge at courthouse injures 2 when deputy removed gun from locker. Monday, August 4, 2008- Questions surround an incident Monday morning at El Paso's Federal Courthouse. A Deputy U.S. Marshal's gun accidentally went off in a hallway on the 3rd floor of the courthouse just before 11:00 AM. The bullet struck the Deputy U.S. Marshal as well as a U.S. Border Patrol agent.

A spokesperson for the U.S. Marshal's service will only confirm the gun accidentally discharged, though we are not yet being told how or why.

(I presume that "at this time" pulling of the trigger was the culprit.)

Both the Deputy Marshal and the Border Patrol agent were taken from the building in stretchers. They were each loaded into waiting ambulances and driven to the hospital. Both suffered only minor injuries.

(Notice how he discharges his firearm, drops his firearm, walks right past it & leaves it at the feet of the individuals in custody as he scurries away towards proctology. Hope they examine the right end. That being said I hope they recover from their injuries.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.