Authority of LEO - Page 2

Authority of LEO

This is a discussion on Authority of LEO within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Glad to see a better attitude here than is so often evident elsewhere. popo22, do you have a reference about TX CCP or TX PC ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Authority of LEO

Glad to see a better attitude here than is so often evident elsewhere. popo22, do you have a reference about TX CCP or TX PC requiring compliance with LE orders?
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I was LE for some years , and my rule of contact is to be non confrontational . For instance No sir you do not have my consent to search anything i might have own or be in possession of . If however you feel that you have the right to i will not argue or interfere with you . No sir i dont care to make any statement or even discuss your contact with you without a lawyer . If you feel you need to write me a ticket then go ahead .
    Sir am i under arrest , and if not may i leave now ? .

Now i was in LE for some years , and put a fair amount of folks in prison for felony charges . Most of the folk i put away talked to me . I wont discuss things with any LE . No matter what i dont get confrontational , nor will i talk to an officer , nothing i can say will help me , nor will getting mad about what the officr does . In both cases its a matter for a court .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I was LE for some years , and my rule of contact is to be non confrontational . For instance No sir you do not have my consent to search anything i might have own or be in possession of . If however you feel that you have the right to i will not argue or interfere with you . No sir i dont care to make any statement or even discuss your contact with you without a lawyer . If you feel you need to write me a ticket then go ahead .
    Sir am i under arrest , and if not may i leave now ? .

Now i was in LE for some years , and put a fair amount of folks in prison for felony charges . Most of the folk i put away talked to me . I wont discuss things with any LE . No matter what i dont get confrontational , nor will i talk to an officer , nothing i can say will help me , nor will getting mad about what the officr does . In both cases its a matter for a court .
    I think the answer to this whole thread is in this singular post: Absolutely nothing that comes out of your flapping lips is going to help you one bit in this situation, so why not just keep your mouth shut? God gave you 2 ears and only one mouth. Think about that.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    Absolutely nothing that comes out of your flapping lips is going to help you one bit in this situation, so why not just keep your mouth shut? God gave you 2 ears and only one mouth. Think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Just be really slow in obeying or refuse to do whatever the LEO asks (within reason and common sense) and let us know how that works out.
    On the path to where I am now, I was involved in more than my share of what I call "chickensh*t" stops. For example, once I was pulled over on the freeway because, the police officer (who knows why he was on the freeway, which was highway patrol jurisdiction) said my handlebars were too high. It was pretty clear within a few seconds he knew nothing about the vehicle code handle bar height rules. Another time, I got stopped because the officer thought my window tint was too dark, when I knew for a fact my dad played golf with several of his superiors whose glass was tinted far darker than mine. Even worse, one the brass my dad golfed with had a brother that had a tint shop and that's where I had my windows tinted. Back to my point, in both cases I applied what I had learned from previous experience, i.e., as long as I had a good attitude about the inconvenience, ignorance and hypocrisy, didn't argue or attempt to "educate" the officers involved, eventually they would get a call about a real crime and would speed off. So sometimes talking slow and stalling does pay off.

I may have spoken approvingly about those responding too quickly.

Let me say here that I did not need counsel about this matter when I posted. A member of my family (who shall remain nameless) needs(wants) to see written proof that LE has the right and the responsibility to use whatever force is necessary and lawful to carry out their duties and protect their safety and the safety of the persons detained.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Don't confuse LEO's with the Law.
    The person lawfully wearing the uniform is the law when you are on the side of the road. All respect should be given (as in the military when you salute a superior) to his office, not necessarily to his/her person. Use common sense and appeal to superiors or the court in the case of illegal/abusive treatment unless your life is at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I will not permit them to search my vehicle.

I will insist that they bring the dogs out and let them have a turn.

That is not going to happen. . .

I will allow them . . .
    As some others have said, if you think that this is going to work for you, you are going to have some big problems in the future.

It has been enlightening to read these posts,
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Respect should work both ways. All too often it does not with cops.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texian View Post
    I may have spoken approvingly about those responding too quickly.

Let me say here that I did not need counsel about this matter when I posted. A member of my family (who shall remain nameless) needs(wants) to see written proof that LE has the right and the responsibility to use whatever force is necessary and lawful to carry out their duties and protect their safety and the safety of the persons detained.
    the info you seek comes from state law, federal law, constitution, and case law, here's some examples I can provide you to get started:

google Terry vs Ohio, covers frisking, searches;

in Texas, when a person is told they are under arrest, then at that point you are under arrest and must comply with the officer's lawful orders, if you resist, even if the arrest is unlawful, you are still going to be charged with resisting;
    also-getting stopped for speeding is in effect being under arrest but you sign a promise to appear instead of going before a magistrate immediately, if you refuse to identify during a traffic stop that is an offense

Probable cause could have a lot to do with what an officer wants to proceed with (detaining/investigation) or will request of someone, google probable cause and enjoy reading all day

google reasonable suspicion, US vs Hensley

read appropriate sections of Texas PC chapter 38
    Texas PC chapter 2
    Texas PC chapter 9 (yes, the same laws CHLs must comply with)
    other section of PC directing actions that officers shall take (ex: PC chapter 5, family violence)

Texas CCP chapter: 6.05; 8.01; 14; 15.22, 15.23, 15.24, 15.25,

thats plenty of readng to get started with, have fun

in case you don't have it, here is the link to the latest versions of PC, CCP and every other code for Texas:
    Texas Statutes
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

64zebra,

I do appreciate your information. Since I started this thread I have acquired most of the material that you cite but not all and I will look at those carefully.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by farronwolf
    I will not permit them to search my vehicle.

I will insist that they bring the dogs out and let them have a turn.

That is not going to happen. . .

I will allow them . . .

As some others have said, if you think that this is going to work for you, you are going to have some big problems in the future.

It has been enlightening to read these posts,

I know how they work their roadside stops, one of my ex brother in laws is a deputy for shelby county. If your pulled over for a traffic violation or because you have a Texas plate, Texas has a front plate, AR, and TN don't so they are pretty easy to pick out, that doesn't automatically give the deputy the authority to search your vehicle. He might ask, do you mind if I search your vehicle, at that point I will say, yes, I do mind, if you want to conduct a search bring out the dog, and we will will sit and wait till they arrive, because your not going to leave my stuff laying all over the side of the road after you rummage through everything.

That is not argueing or defying the officer in any way, it is simply saving myself a lot of headache from repacking all my stuff after they have their fun going through it.

I don't intend to argue with a LEO, nor do I intend to get pulled over since I have not been in over 15 years.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

m41
    First off this is my first post on this site. I can't help but think there are a few here that swing towards the anti-law enforcement side. With that out of the way, I have worked as LEO for almost ten (10) years. As for the subject,like a few of the posts have said "respect the position". The LE profession is like all others, there are bad apples within our ranks.

The advice of keeping silent, demanding a supervisor ect. and other forms of defiance is not good suggestions. Doing those things on a simple traffic stop is only asking for problems. Communication from a driver/passenger has kept more people out of trouble than you could imagine. Many things are not like they seem. Running late and got caught speeding? Tell the officer that-be a person. Communicate. Keep in mind we are talking about traffic stops, not arrests.

Consent Search requests. There is a growing trend with LE and interdiction stops. If you are the subject/target of this type stop, you can refuse the search and probably should. If the officer has PC they are searching-consent or not, dog or not-period! An officer asking you for a consent search probably has a good reason for doing so. Any good competent officer will not be asking for consent as a matter of routine. A VERY large percent of consent searches result in contraband being found. Why? It is called indicators. No indicators and you will not have to worry about it. Someone posted about all your stuff being left on the roadside for you to repack. We are required to put the vehicle back in its original state if nothing is found.

Anyone who works as a LEO has ran across the roadside lawyer. The vast majority of LEO encounters you might have, the LEO will be spot on with his/her request,demands and actions. This non sense type stuff like you are on a interstate and out of your jurisdiction is just that. In some states it might be an issue, but not many any more. Indiana for example, a LEO is just that-anywhere anytime for any crime (Felony,misdemeanor or infraction). I have had the "you are not wearing your hat so you can't stop me, or, you were not visible to traffic so you can't stop me so I'm leaving (didn't work out to good for her) or you have to show me your radar ect. Urban myths for the most part or to much TV.

My suggestion? If you happen to get stopped, be polite. If armed, have the intestinal fortitude to tell the officer you are a permit holder and are armed. Most of us do not care. I have never ever disarmed a person who told me that they were CCW and armed. Never will without a valid reason. Some LEO's will. I don't agree with it but thats just me. Remember-we are looking for criminals. We are not out to hassle the working public. In my years working the road I have found out that 95% of the citizens of this fine country are honest decent people. The other 4% are lying, cheating, worthless drugged out scum. The other 1% will kill you in a blink of an eye. They are the one's most of us are looking for. They are the ones I want.

Take care all and remember, we are people also. Most LEO's are not anti gun. Most LEO's are pro CCW. If you see one of us getting our butts kicked-help us out. Stay armed,keep practicing, carry safely and help us deal with that 5%.

The California Supreme Court ruled that one must obey all orders of an LEO and may resist in no way weather they are lawful orders or not!!!

You must clear up any problems in court later.
    YOU CAN ONLY HAVE TOO MUCH AMMO IF YOU'RE ON FIRE OR DROWNING!

Benefactor Member NRA -- Life Member GOA -- Life (Christian) Member JPFO -- Card Carrying Minuteman

[QUOTE=Wilhelm;816704]On the path to where I am now, I was involved in more than my share of what I call "chickensh*t" stops. For example, once I was pulled over on the freeway because, the police officer (who knows why he was on the freeway, which was highway patrol jurisdiction)...

Just a quick FYI
    In California a Police officer can pull you over anywhere. A city Cop can make stops on the freeway, just as a Highway patrolman can make traffic stops in a residential neighborhood. In California there are no boundary lines that have to be adhered to. In California a Police officers authority is statewide.

Senior Moderator
    Same in Arkansas.

You are certified by the state, which makes you good to go anywhere.

Alot of people dont understand that.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VERY WELL SAID m41
    Welcome to the forum.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links