SWAT team kills 2 dogs in [Mistaken] raid on Md. mayor's home - Page 3

SWAT team kills 2 dogs in [Mistaken] raid on Md. mayor's home

This is a discussion on SWAT team kills 2 dogs in [Mistaken] raid on Md. mayor's home within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sixto, I haven't had anything to do with drugs (pot) for over 20 years, and that's the last criminal activity I took part in. I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SWAT team kills 2 dogs in [Mistaken] raid on Md. mayor's home

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Sixto, I haven't had anything to do with drugs (pot) for over 20 years, and that's the last criminal activity I took part in.

I now have an M1A, and it's usually loaded with FMJ.

If I lived in that area, I'd figure anyone kicking down my doors and shooting anything at all is a bad guy, no matter if they are yelling "Police".

After all, the police "never make mistakes" and bad guys can yell whatever they want without worrying about the law, so long as they leave no live witnesses.

Now, if this pack of half witted adrenaline junkies had gotten shot up like they deserved, who would the villeins in the piece be?

For the married posters who work law enforcement: What would /you/ do if a package you did not know about showed up at /your/ home with your wife's name on it while she was out?

More SWAT BS. They're out of control and should be reorganized or disbanded.

Administrator
    here's another thought; do a search about mayors and the trouble they have got into; being the mayor doesn't mean squat really, its not a free pass that they don't do anything wrong.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post

Now, if this pack of half witted adrenaline junkies had gotten shot up like they deserved, who would the villeins in the piece be?

For the married posters who work law enforcement: What would /you/ do if a package you did not know about showed up at /your/ home with your wife's name on it while she was out?
    Well, you'd probably be dead by the end of it or up on charges like everyone else that has shot at a raid team, you either win in court or you rot in prison, it's not that hard to figure out.

As for the package, I'd bring it in.

I'll leave the quarterbacking up to everyone else, you guys are doing a great job, I'll sit on the side lines until more facts come out.

Drug dealers shipping like this is a very common thing.
    So to the LEO's who seem to know a lot about this delivery system. Wouldn't you know then that the package is being delivered to an innocent person? From what I hear, drug traffickers send the package to a real (not involved) person and plan on snatching the package before the homeowner discovers it. So a dog sniffed out this package and the cops followed it. Once it went in the house, what was the reason for kicking the door in and shooting the dogs? They had time to follow the package for days, but not time to find out who lived there? They knew the setup, they knew there was a good chance the homeowners were innocent, yet the swat team still kicked the door in.
    No [edited by moderator] excuse.
    Of course the homeowners are going to say the dogs were shot in cold blood etc., what do you expect?
    Killer black labs guarding the stash? This is lame. They did it because they enjoyed doing this kind of thing.
    Last edited by JD; August 8th, 2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: removed language work a round.

Senior Moderator
    The bottom line is that some basic Police work wasn't done by PG's sheriffs department.

They should have done a quick background check on the final address and adressee.

What actually happened during the raid, well I wasn't there and need further evidence before I make my judgment.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    They don't follow the package for days, it only takes a few hours. They "kicked in the door" because the people accepted the package as if it were theirs and expecting it; I would have done the same thing if there was a package on my porch... but how was the team supposed to know if the "BG" was the mayors wife or not? Please do tell me.

Labs are great dogs for sure, but I've seen everything from labs to fluffy ankle biters turn aggressive in this situation. To suggest they enjoy killing dogs or anything else for sport is highly irresponsible especially when you were not there and are drawing conclusions based on a very sparse news article.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    The bottom line is that some basic Police work wasn't done by PG's sheriffs department.

They should have done a quick background check on the final address and adressee.
    Why? Is the mayor's family supposed to be immune? I'm sure they did check the address. His political office doesn't and shouldn't mean squat... are you suggesting that political appointee's should get a free pass?
    Again, look up all the corruption that goes on in mayor's offices, its pretty bad. Inside the D.C. beltway? OMG, that area gives Chicago and Detroit a run for the money in corruption.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why? Is the mayor's family supposed to be immune? I'm sure they did check the address. His political office doesn't and shouldn't mean squat... are you suggesting that political appointee's should get a free pass?
    I don't think that's what he means, but I'm sure that if they knew the political fall out of hitting the mayor's house and not a known felon/offender, they might have tried a more diplomatic approach.

If you knew your were going into the mayor's house, would you go in kicking? Or would you just knock and show a badge?

VIP Member

Huh?

A warrant would be needed for the package, but not the home it was taken into,

Huh? And exactly why wasn't a warrant needed to enter the home?

Because the lady screamed?

And how are the rest of us supposed to know that the police didn't just do that (delivery of a controlled substance) on orders from a rival of the mayor's in the political world? Or perhaps because the mayor's town was clean ---and maybe the locals were interfering with a corrupt county Sheriff's side line? (Just an hypothesis for discussion. I know nothing of the Sheriff who likely is a good man.)

There's plenty of dirty deeds done in politics-- a former State Governor appears to have been set up and convicted by someone in the White House---because the governor was from the wrong party.

Actually, about the only part I find understandable is shooting the dogs. Seems like a reasonable precaution, even if understandably not very nice, and certainly emotionally traumatic for everyone.

Senior Moderator

No but reading the article and by PG's on statements they didn't know who lived there.

What I mean is that this thing sounds like it was a thrown together to get a big bust and some shortcuts were taken to make the evening headlines.

I could be wrong, but I think that 32lbs of drugs that was already in Police custody would prompt a little more prep time.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    32lbs of pot really isn't a "big" bust anymore, its a daily thing for an active drug unit. However, this could have been a "big" bust if the records showed a lot of packages being delivered to that address from the same source.
    What more prep would you have liked to have been done and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

If you knew your were going into the mayor's house, would you go in kicking? Or would you just knock and show a badge?
    Yup, the mayor can shoot me just as easy as the street level dealer. If he is playing the game, same rules apply. I've done it before with high level political types... you can read about some of them online if you wish, there are plenty of inaccurate news articles about it.
    Bottom line, everyone gets treated the same for a lot of reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Huh? And exactly why wasn't a warrant needed to enter the home?

Because they had control of the parcel containing illegal substances, they knew it was in the home, they watched it go in there, and they now have exigent circumstance to enter the home without a warrant. Like it or not, thats the way it is.

And how are the rest of us supposed to know that the police didn't just do that (delivery of a controlled substance) on orders from a rival of the mayor's in the political world? Or perhaps because the mayor's town was clean ---and maybe the locals were interfering with a corrupt county Sheriff's side line? (Just an hypothesis for discussion. I know nothing of the Sheriff who likely is a good man.)
    Because parcel services are tightly controlled and packages are easily tracked from their source to their destination. It would be pretty much impossible for them to do it the way your suggesting and get away with it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator

Packages & Politicians

As a side take on all this the first problem is the mayor and his family didn't communicate..... He should have known if a package was expected. The second habit to get into is check the return address, is it someone you know or do business with? Now I'll admit I've gotten lazy in the last 20 years, thinking this through just now I realize I pick the package up to check the return address, a No-no.

If you are a politician (or even a "normal" person) and find a strange package like that, you leave it and call 911. That should bring the Bomb Squad....... Not the SWAT Team!

(I think it would have been real interesting if the Bomb Squad had blown the package right under the noses of the SWAT Team. )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Because parcel services are tightly controlled and packages are easily tracked from their source to their destination. It would be pretty much impossible for them to do it the way your suggesting and get away with it.
    Come on now, don't you know how to spell, "corruption."

I'm not saying that was involved in this deal, just that it is possible.
    This is exactly the sort of stunt that would be pulled if you had a clean Mayor and a corrupt Sheriff.

What it looks like is no one bothered to find out who lived at that address.

Exigent circumstances? Man, I hope that isn't the definition of exigent circumstances.

Oh, I forgot, Furman broke into OJs house on the exigent circumstance excuse. He imagined someone was in trouble inside because he saw (rust?) (blood?) on a car door. But that is a whole other argument. I'm just saying, "exigent circumstances" had better be "exigent." Really!
    Last edited by Hopyard; August 8th, 2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Removed un-needed comment

Senior Moderator
    This thread has run its course and is closed

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links