SWAT team kills 2 dogs in [Mistaken] raid on Md. mayor's home

This is a discussion on SWAT team kills 2 dogs in [Mistaken] raid on Md. mayor's home within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Associated Press: SWAT team kills 2 dogs in raid on Md. mayor's home BERWYN HEIGHTS, Md. — A SWAT team raided the home of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Associated Press: SWAT team kills 2 dogs in raid on Md. mayor's home

BERWYN HEIGHTS, Md. — A SWAT team raided the home of a Washington, D.C.-area mayor, killing his two black Labrador retrievers and seizing an unopened package of marijuana delivered there.

Prince George's County Police said Berwyn Heights Mayor Cheye Calvo brought a 32-pound package of marijuana into his home that had been delivered by officers posing as delivery men. The Tuesday evening raid was conducted by county police narcotics officers and a sheriff's office SWAT Team.

The package was addressed to Calvo's wife, Trinity Tomsic. His mother-in-law had asked the supposed delivery men to leave the package outside. Calvo has not been charged, though police said he, his wife and his mother-in-law are "persons of interest" in an ongoing investigation.

"We never opened the box. We have nothing to do with this box," Calvo said.

Sheriff's office spokesman Sgt. Mario Ellis says deputies "apparently felt threatened" when they shot the dogs.

Calvo said officers entered about 7:30 p.m., first shooting 7-year-old Payton. They then pursued 4-year-old Chase, who ran away and was shot by police from behind, he said.

Calvo said he doesn't have any idea how the package ended up at his house. He called the raid "the most traumatic experience" of his life.

Calvo, who called his town "Mayberry inside the Capital Beltway," gets a small stipend as mayor and works at the SEED Foundation, a nonprofit that runs public boarding schools for at-risk students. His wife works as a state finance officer.

"These were two beautiful black Labradors who were well-known in the community. We walked them twice a day; little kids knew their names and would come up to them and pet them," he said.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Hmmm, package delivered to home with weed in it, then police shot the first dog, and chase after the second dog to shoot it.

Something doesn't sound quite right with this whole story. I bet there will be further developements to come. Should be interesting.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Farron,
    Nope thats pretty much how it went down. The Police chief atteneded the support rally for the Mayor and apoligized to the mayor as he bawled apoligizing profusly. The package thing aparently this happens from time and time again. Somebody ships a package of drugs to a random house.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar

I wonder

I winder if the officers in this botched raid will receive medals as well???

Additionally, I have yet to meet a threatening Labrador...and I have been around them for over 30 years. Also, how threatening is a dog that you have to chase to shoot.

Seems a little over the top for a pot bust, regardless of the weight. More abuse of police powers in my opinion...not every warrant deserves the SWAT team.

NOT LEO BASHING...SYSTEM BASHING!! I realize the officers conducting the raid do so on orders from above.

Shooting the dogs is questionable however......
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

SWAT Team Kills Mayor's Dogs in Botched Drug Raid | Stop the Drug War (DRCNet)
    The mayor of Berwyn Heights, MD is the latest botched drug raid victim:

A police SWAT team raided the home of the mayor in the Prince George's County town of Berwyn Heights on Tuesday, shooting and killing his two dogs, after he brought in a 32-pound package of marijuana that had been delivered to his doorstep, police said.

"My government blew through my doors and killed my dogs," Calvo said. "They thought we were drug dealers, and we were treated as such. I don't think they really ever considered that we weren't." [Washington Post]

Nothing about this guy says "drug dealer," and while anything is possible, I think the most likely explanation is that the package was meant to be intercepted by its intended recipient prior to ending up in the possession of the mayor. A neighbor or someone at the post office was probably keeping an eye out for it, which seems not to have occurred to police.

Since this happened in the D.C. area, I got to hear callers discuss the incident on a popular NPR call-in show. It was frustrating to hear multiple people complain that this should have been dealt with more delicately because the suspect was the mayor. It's ********. Almost any drug raid can be handled better than this, regardless of who the suspect is. You can't flush 32 pounds of marijuana down the toilet. There was no risk of flight or destruction of evidence and no reason why a simple knock on the door wouldn't have sufficed.

This is big news in Washington, D.C. today. Everyone seems to be very shocked by what has taken place, except for those of us who've been following the drug war and know that this type of thing (hell, this exact thing) happens to innocent people and their pets all over the country all the time. Ladies and gentlemen of the nation's capital, welcome to the war on drugs.
    It all sounds just too stupid to happen in real life. Seems to me that authorities killing household pets has also become some sort of de-moralizing tactic used by agencies with no backbone. Remember, there are those who abide by the law, those who make the law, the law, and those above the law.

After looking up other articles, yes it appears that there are some discrepencies in the warrant and that all of this probably could have been avoided had there been a bit more communication on the front end. OOPS.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Seems to me, the SWAT team could have gotten ahold of the mayor at his office? Sheeesh...

This type of garbage gives cops a bad name. I understand marching orders, but doesn't someone in the SWAT group have a little common sense? One would think at a meeting to arrange this 'dangerous' bust, a less aggressive solution could have been discussed.

"OK, Tom...you shoot the black lab with his chew toy, and Bill, you shoot the other black lab before he runs into the garage to hide! Ray, you cover the parakeet, and Fred, you knock out the kids's turtle!"

Something smells rotten here!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    "OK, Tom...you shoot the black lab with his chew toy, and Bill, you shoot the other black lab before he runs into the garage to hide! Ray, you cover the parakeet, and Fred, you knock out the kids's turtle!"
    "That just leaves us to figure out what to do about that damn litter of kittens!"
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Maybe those SWAT Cops just wanted to apply for a personal handgun license in person, and they needed to show the Mayor what a real machine gun is?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Police deliver drugs to you unsolicited, and then launch a raid and murder your dogs.

Then it turns out to be the mayor's house.

This is gonna be good.

VIP Member
    This smells bad to me too. If, however, you serve a no knock warrant in the wee hours of the morning at my house you will definitely have to shoot my lab, because he will be trying to eat you. He is as calm and lovable as they come but if you come through the door uninvited he is a 90lb tornado of fur, claw and tooth. I know he would fight to the death for my family.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

JD
    Administrator
    32lbs? All I ever get is credit card apps.

I wish I'd accidentally get 32lbs of ammo delivered to my door. (*Not through my door, just dropped off in a nice card board box)

I don't even know what to say. I mean, how did the police know who shipped that package? Did they ship the package? For a warrant (proper), they would need to have chain of custody information for that pot. They would need to know who it came from, who it was going to, and why it was going there as well. Something definitely smells fishy here.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    32lbs? All I ever get is credit card apps.

I wish I'd accidentally get 32lbs of ammo delivered to my door. (*Not through my door, just dropped off in a nice card board box)
    Me too! Man that had to be a pretty huge box of weed! It's no wonder the mom said to leave the box outside; she could smell it from inside the house.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Farron,
    Nope thats pretty much how it went down. The Police chief atteneded the support rally for the Mayor and apoligized to the mayor as he bawled apoligizing profusly. The package thing aparently this happens from time and time again. Somebody ships a package of drugs to a random house.
    Aren't Sheriff's elected and the Chief is an appointed position? Think this guy is going to be looking for a new job? Wonder if that's a career ending move to raid your bosses house and kill his pets?
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links