Mistaken 911 call question

This is a discussion on Mistaken 911 call question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 411 miss-dialed can get you 911 and does here often enough. They treat that as a real call as well. Dispatch calls back to decide ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mistaken 911 call question

VIP Member
    411 miss-dialed can get you 911 and does here often enough. They treat that as a real call as well. Dispatch calls back to decide to send the officer routine or 10-18. But expect a visit.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    It sounds like you can get faster 911 response by calling and hanging up than by talking to them!
    Yup, shame isn't it.

New housekeeper calls cab company 931-1111. Misdials 9111111. She redials correctly and leaves front door open to hear the cab honk. Next thing 2 police cars pull up into driveway and walk into the house to check out everything. Scaried the heck out of the housekeeper.She could not remember our last name. Police believed the story and waited with her until the cab pulled up and she locked up the house and left. The officers stopped back towards the end of shift to inform us of what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Imagine the public outcry should the responding LEO's just walked away because the person told them, through the door, that everything was OK, only to find out later that the family had been held hostage, the wife raped and the husband shot to death.
    I received a call the other night from the police saying that they had just received a 911 call and hang up from our number, "Is there a problem?"

I said no one called and they said thanks. There was never a physical visit!

You don't want the cops coming in without a warrant... buy yourself a rotary dial phone!

Seriously, they have to investigate all 911 hang-ups and all other 911 calls.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    911 is serious sh-tuff. It's definitely "reasonable cause" for a forced entry to get in there and see what's happening, and very few people will criticize the police for it, regardless of their normal attitude.

Note: I have not yet heard of police using a claim of a 911 call to get access to a house without a warrant. Claims to be a meter reader, health inspector, FedEx and UPS delivery men, etc, yes.

Some idiot is going to decide to start using "911 call" to get inside, and that's going to be a long term problem across the entire US.

Administrator
    Except there is no "reasonable cause", its probable cause and reasonable suspicion. There is a very clear and large difference between the two.

Not to be a nitpicker, but it is an important difference.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ram Rod
    The fourth amendment protects against warrant-less searches. The rest is up to you. Be tactful and avoid confrontation.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats nice and all, But it's been ruled over and over that this type of scenario is not a "search". You called 911, therefore LEO's have the responsibility to investigate.

Could you imagine the fallout if they did not look into things, and there was ten dead bodies stacked in the living room?
    agreed Sixto, I was about to reply with almost the same thing

the 4th Amendment protects against unreasonable searches and seizures, an officer investigating a 911 hangup could make legal entry into a house where nobody is answering or if someone is less than cooperative, the officer has to make sure that nobody is injured, a victim of crime (burglary, domestic violence come to mind), and these fall under exigent circumstances which is reasonable
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Sixto, there's a difference between a court of law and a court of public opinion.

You can win all the battles and lose the war by forgetting that.

Every PSAP I am aware of has a policy to call back on 9-1-1 disconnects. If the line is busy we have the call interrupted. If we get no answer or don't like the answers we get, officers are dispatched.
    Arguing probable cause etc. at the front door is going to be a losing proposition. If the officer wants in, he is going in. He finds a domestic violence victim etc. good for him. He finds no victim but a couple of kilos of drugs, you can argue 4th ammend at a pretrial motions hearing. If you are very very lucky, the judge will side with you and the case will get tossed.
    About ten years ago we had almost an entire family wiped out by an employee of their home improvement contractor. We had officers respond a couple of times for 9-1-1 disconnects. They peeped in the windows and saw no evidence of foul play so the calls were cleared. We ended up responding back out to the house and arresting the guy on the scene, and then counting the bodies. Four dead. Each killed as they walk into the house.
    The community was of course outraged that the first officers on the scene didn't take the door and search the house. But then again, how many of these folks want to pay a $300 repair bill for each time the officers come out?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

FYI - 119 or 191 < all will work the same as 911
    even 19 and 91 will call for help on most if not all 911 land line systems.

Some years ago either I or a son of ours accidentally called 911, and hung up. If it was me, I didn't even realized I had called.

Police showed up at our door some minutes later, and my husband let them in. I was in the bedroom. The kids were already out in the hallway. The police wanted to see the wife of the house, and wouldn't leave until they did. I didn't really want to see them - having had a bad day (and marriage), but at the same time I appreciated that they were making sure I and the kids were all right, before they left.

And yes, I apologized for the false alarm.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Sixto, there's a difference between a court of law and a court of public opinion.

I think he was pointing out that there is not a term calld "reasonable cause", there is reasonable suspicion used to assist in building probable cause, both of which are irrelevant if there are exigent circumstances, which there could be on a 911 disconnect/hangup depending on the situation; no reasonable suspicion or probable cause needed
    yes its technical in the terms, but so are the US Supreme court cases detailing reasonable suspicion, probable cause, and exigent circumstances
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I think he was pointing out that there is not a term calld "reasonable cause",
    I know, but the "Court of Public Opinion" is not near as fussy about that sort of thing.

It also tends to send judgments to politicians up for re-election, etc.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post

You're preaching to the choir on that one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links