Defensive Carry banner

BAD: MD State Police go Ninja on Ammo Purchases

3K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  kazzaerexys 
#1 ·
As posted in the Maryland Shooter's Forum:

Last night at 12:30 pm a MD State Police "Armed Response Team" showed up at our door. I was dead asleep, my Wife was laying some ceramic tile on our basement floor when our driveway alert went off several times. She looked at the camera monitor and screamed that Police in Assault gear were running up to our front door. That made me sit straight up from a dead sleep.

We thought they were there for my Brother in Law who had just been mailed Bench Warrants to our home, but he doesn't live here and he is already incarcerated, so my Wife opened the door for them. Then I heard one of them say he had some papers for me or needed to speak with me,so I got up to speak with them 6 or 7 officers in full assault vests, etc. and NO ONE in uniform. Four heavily armed police came into the house while at least two others walked around outside of our home.

One, began to talk to me asking me about the types of weapons I own. Remember now, I was just startled from a dead sleep and I kept asking why are you here, why do you want to know about my guns? Every gun I bought in Maryland I bought from a MD Dealer. Well this Trooper said that I had purchased a "large amount" of ammunition recently and wanted to know why.
Full thread here:

#4 ·
Wow I have bout literally thousands of 223 at one time,if I lived in maryland I'd be in prison apparently,thank god I live in Texas and make my own ammo,what is scary is a midnight raid in full swat gear if that isn't abuse of what swat was set out to be,what about a uniformed officer just knocking on the door during normal hours,but just the reason for being there is BS.

#21 ·
12:30 p.m. is not a midnight raid. I'm not sure if the 'night' part was thrown in to make it seem more sensational or if the guy doesn't know the difference between a.m. and p.m.

Either way, it makes me a little less receptive to his story.

#10 ·
It was put out by Maryland Shall Issue, which, all things considered, seems to be a fairly competent (and not overly sensationalist) group.

The moderators on the MD Shooters Forum have apparently contacted Don Curtis, the man at whom this raid was allegedly directed. According to them, Curtis has been talking to a Baltimore Sun reporter who is working on the story about the MDSP spying on certain private citizens' groups.

So, while there is as yet no independent verification of the story, the gist of it so far from MD Shooters made me think it was worth posting. I would rather think that this story is false, frankly; but the MDSP, as a whole, is ridiculously against armed citizens, and this story seems credible enough to follow.

#12 ·
glad to live in Florida ;-). Is there a reference to the actual amount of ammunition the guy purchased? It would be good to know for other MD residents... Not in order to buy less, but in order to buy just as much and overwhelm the tracking system.

I don't think anybody in Florida knows how much ammunition I buy, but I usually buy it online with credit card, so it should be easy enough to track.

I like the suggestion of the trooper to "voluntarily register". If anything, a raid like that would be a good reason to keep some unregistered guns around. Next time, you may need them to defend your liberty, not your home.

#14 ·
I for one try to help out the police ,but I talk to them at the door,any further requires a warrant.As far as excessive ammo I guess it's somewhere between 1 round and a million rounds depending on where you live,I have had over 10,000 rounds of ammo at one time and never got a visit from the police.

#16 ·
I guess as a responsible gun owner, you should add an ACLU membership to your NRA membership. I wonder if they have bundle discounts ;-)

#20 ·
I just want to know how he got his wife to lay tile while he slept....... :hand5:

#27 ·
yeah, I was wondering that myself
I need this guy's email address....we need to talk

I really want to see some follow up to this story to see what agencies say about this, and what the NRA finds

#22 ·
Sounds awfull fishy. Why would a full tactical assualt team converge on this one house AND NOT HAVE A WARRANT IN HAND. Without the warrant they don't have any right to enter this mans property. Without the warrant if the homeowner does not give his consent to have the property searched any evidence they may find gets thrown out. It's a wasted trip without the papers. Doesn't sound right.

#23 ·
Because they weren't looking for anything in particular. They were harassing for the purposes of harassing. As a former MD'er(Baltimore), I don't doubt it one bit:scruntiny:. I got out of that hole and wont ever go back. I don't even go back to visit family. They have to come out here if they want to see me.:tired:

#28 ·
My leg hurts...let go...:blink: This would be on Fox if it had any truth to it.:rolleyes:

#34 ·
I don't know about this; Surely had this really happened the news media would have gotten hold of it by now.

As other posters have stated, "I can smell the fish"......

#35 ·
The 'patiot act' has given LE some extraordinary powers under the guise of national security.
LE can basically write their own warrants and in effect, do it after the fact.

Bullhockey... :scruntiny:

Federal LEO's that have certain Judges at their beckon and call might get away with it if they could prove that it was a matter of National Security, but these weren't federal, they were just some of MD's finest.

As for local LEO"S doing it without a warrant and then writing one up, I don't believe that for a second.

If you did that around here, you wouldn't do it but once. You might find yourself in the greybar hotel with some of the jerks that you put in there.

It may be bad in some places on the coasts, but it ain't THAT bad yet.:aargh4:

#36 ·
It may be bad in some places on the coasts, but it ain't THAT bad yet.:aargh4:
My guess is that by the time we do know how bad it is it will be too late.

#37 ·
Did not want to hijack this thread so I stated another thread I did not know some states register ammo. I am curious as to how many require you to sign for it, so I started a poll be interesting to see your comments on that thread

#38 ·
I am curious. I have been away for almost two years now, but I can't recall ever having shown ID for an ammo purchase. I have shown it and signed for powder for reloading but not for loaded ammo. How much ammo did this guy supposedly buy and who did he buy it from?

#41 ·
I am curious. I have been away for almost two years now, but I can't recall ever having shown ID for an ammo purchase.
Some places, WalMart for one for a while, require the checkers actually see an ID and verify the buyer's age when selling ammo that might be used in a handgun. No matter how old the purchaser appears to be.

Others here have mentioned WalMarts where they live taking more information now and then, but not in the last couple of weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.