BAD: MD State Police go Ninja on Ammo Purchases

This is a discussion on BAD: MD State Police go Ninja on Ammo Purchases within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As posted in the Maryland Shooter's Forum: Last night at 12:30 pm a MD State Police "Armed Response Team" showed up at our door. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

As posted in the Maryland Shooter's Forum:

Last night at 12:30 pm a MD State Police "Armed Response Team" showed up at our door. I was dead asleep, my Wife was laying some ceramic tile on our basement floor when our driveway alert went off several times. She looked at the camera monitor and screamed that Police in Assault gear were running up to our front door. That made me sit straight up from a dead sleep.

We thought they were there for my Brother in Law who had just been mailed Bench Warrants to our home, but he doesn't live here and he is already incarcerated, so my Wife opened the door for them. Then I heard one of them say he had some papers for me or needed to speak with me,so I got up to speak with them 6 or 7 officers in full assault vests, etc. and NO ONE in uniform. Four heavily armed police came into the house while at least two others walked around outside of our home.

One, began to talk to me asking me about the types of weapons I own. Remember now, I was just startled from a dead sleep and I kept asking why are you here, why do you want to know about my guns? Every gun I bought in Maryland I bought from a MD Dealer. Well this Trooper said that I had purchased a "large amount" of ammunition recently and wanted to know why.
    Full thread here:
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

B52
    I am glad I reside in Arizona, that story is really screwed up.

I hope that doesn't really happen in the US...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Wow I have bout literally thousands of 223 at one time,if I lived in maryland I'd be in prison apparently,thank god I live in Texas and make my own ammo,what is scary is a midnight raid in full swat gear if that isn't abuse of what swat was set out to be,what about a uniformed officer just knocking on the door during normal hours,but just the reason for being there is BS.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Is there anything available to verify the story other than the thread?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    +1 I'm not finding anything outside forums...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Now you mention it ,it does sound pretty over the top even tho there have been some crazy things happen,to send out a swat team to do a followup on ammo purchase by a law abiding citizen seems unusual
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

most likely the combination of the ammo purchase and the warrant for the relative caused it. but buying ammo in MD isn't illegal. this state is going downhill at an accelerating rate.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Slightly fishy.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    It was put out by Maryland Shall Issue, which, all things considered, seems to be a fairly competent (and not overly sensationalist) group.

The moderators on the MD Shooters Forum have apparently contacted Don Curtis, the man at whom this raid was allegedly directed. According to them, Curtis has been talking to a Baltimore Sun reporter who is working on the story about the MDSP spying on certain private citizens' groups.

So, while there is as yet no independent verification of the story, the gist of it so far from MD Shooters made me think it was worth posting. I would rather think that this story is false, frankly; but the MDSP, as a whole, is ridiculously against armed citizens, and this story seems credible enough to follow.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    It was put out by Maryland Shall Issue, which, all things considered, seems to be a fairly competent (and not overly sensationalist) group.

The moderators on the MD Shooters Forum have apparently contacted Don Curtis, the man at whom this raid was allegedly directed. According to them, Curtis has been talking to a Baltimore Sun reporter who is working on the story about the MDSP spying on certain private citizens' groups.

So, while there is as yet no independent verification of the story, the gist of it so far from MD Shooters made me think it was worth posting. I would rather think that this story is false, frankly; but the MDSP, as a whole, is ridiculously against armed citizens, and this story seems credible enough to follow.
    It's certainly a good post regardless... this is a serious allegation that should be investigated.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

glad to live in Florida ;-). Is there a reference to the actual amount of ammunition the guy purchased? It would be good to know for other MD residents... Not in order to buy less, but in order to buy just as much and overwhelm the tracking system.

I don't think anybody in Florida knows how much ammunition I buy, but I usually buy it online with credit card, so it should be easy enough to track.

I like the suggestion of the trooper to "voluntarily register". If anything, a raid like that would be a good reason to keep some unregistered guns around. Next time, you may need them to defend your liberty, not your home.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

bae
    Why did he let them into his home without a warrant?

Why did he speak to them without his attorney present?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Why did he let them into his home without a warrant?

Why did he speak to them without his attorney present?
    I for one try to help out the police ,but I talk to them at the door,any further requires a warrant.As far as excessive ammo I guess it's somewhere between 1 round and a million rounds depending on where you live,I have had over 10,000 rounds of ammo at one time and never got a visit from the police.

has anyone found out how many rounds of ammo he purchased?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links