Defensive Carry banner

Amazing Helo: Afghanistan Rescue

1K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  uakaos 
#1 ·
I can't validate the facts behind this picture, but I thought it great!

Outstanding job by a great young pilot from Pennsylvania!

Can't add anything else to this... the picture is worth 10,000 words! If you don't think our military pilots earn their pay, you need to take a look at this picture.

This photo was taken by a soldier in Afghanistan of a helo rescue mission. The pilot is a PA National Guard guy who flies EMS choppers in civilian life.

Now how many people on the planet you reckon could set the end of a chopper down on the roof top of a shack, on a steep mountain cliff, and hold it there while soldiers load wounded men in the rear. If this does not impress you... nothing ever will.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I've seen some helo pilots do some amazing and crazy stuff both in them military and in the civilian world.
A few years ago, I watched a pilot walk a chopper under some power lines in order to evac a critical patient out of a remote area. It was awesome, but it made me pucker and I was safe on the ground.

#6 ·
These guys ARE remarkable!! I remember in Somalia that the Little Bird(AH-6) pilots were flying between buildings with about a foot of clearance between rotor blades and sides of buildings, at night, with NVG's.

#7 ·
I have some friends (a couple) who are both former Army helo pilots. He flew Blackhawks, she flew Chinooks. Both have some great stories, but hers are the best by far. She was a Chinook maintenance pilot in the first Gulf War. One day her crew chief presented her with a pair of racquet balls painted gold with the comment "I wouldn't want anyone to say you didn't have a pair... Ma'am."

#8 ·
I've seen many things military helo pilots do, to ever doubt anything. I've known a few too... and it always amazes me.

#10 ·
+1 with Helo Choppers. Some are skilled to the point of lunacy.

One can be seen everyday, I forget the channel, during the opening credits og Magnum PI. Check how close to the road the chopper gets during a turn.

#11 ·
Amazing, especially when you consider that the cockpit and pilot's view are AWAY from where the loading is happening. It is the rear of the helicopter that is perched on the shack, and the pilot can not see what is going on.

#13 ·
Either that pilot is somethin' else, or those soldiers are quick thinking and that pilot was wondering why the hell his rear end wasn't going any further down. :hand5:

-B

#16 ·
While they look like boxcars, they are really quite maneuverable and capable of some amazing feats. Very stable platforms.

Our Marine squadron flew the very similar CH-46 Sea Knight.

Both the Army CH-47 Chinook and the Navy/Marine CH-46 Sea Knight are made by Boeing. Main difference are the engines and slightly different fuselage.

#18 ·
Right up there with rescuing people off K2 and Denali. And many of those pilots and crew are ex-military, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.