Defensive Carry banner

Army v. USMC boot camp

5K views 61 replies 39 participants last post by  TX Husker Fan 
#1 ·
For your viewing pleasure

Army

USMC

#42 ·
I was stationed just up from NAB Coronado where BUD's was. IMO SEALs are the toughest in the business. I must give a tip of the hat to USAF Pararescue. Tough schooling and tough missions for both.

#43 ·
The uniforms are different, and I too was never called anything but "Private" until post graduation, but all of that 'fun' at reception sure looked familiar in the Army video. If I never see Missouri again it will be too soon. The parts I remember most clearly were being more dog-dead tired than ever before or since from having to pull two and three fire guard shifts a night (we had a particularly sadistic drill who punished the whole platoon by making us pull the extra shifts) and crawling across that damn rocky stretch of dirt under the machine gun fire to finish off the FTX. I knew that once I crossed that thing I had as good as graduated. No one has ever low crawled that fast before or since. The upside is that now few things are difficult by comparison. I have to laugh when my friends in college are intimidated by grumpy professors. I've yet to see one who scared me as much as DS Morales!

#44 ·
I missed seeing the Mt. Suribachi recreation where all the recruits dump their footlockers and push all the contents to the middle of the squad bay and the DI's walk over it and then give 60 seconds for everything to be put away. That was fun.:rolleyes: Took me almost the whole 13 weeks to get all my stuff back since there was very little free time. :yup:

#45 ·
I always hated when you missed one little corner of your bed and when you get back to the barracks your mattress had been thrown out the window and you have to lug it up the 3 flights of stairs I had to go, after cleaning off the snow (Ft. Leonard Wood in November can be fun).

Or you forget to lock your locker and all your stuff is now in the middle of the friggin floor with your shaving cream sprayed all over it. Sad part is, the one time I did that, the lock was hanging from the key on my dog tag chain and I never felt it.

#46 ·
There are former soldiers.
There are former sailors.
There are former airmen.
There are no former Marines. I am a Marine. It isn't a branch of service, it is a rite of passage and a way of life. I will die a Marine.

No matter how you cut it, it's different and Boot Camp is where it was done!

MGySgt USMC (retired) 30 years active service.

OOORAH

#53 ·
Well said, Master Guns. While the other services are well deserving of respect for the job they do, they will never approach the level of commitment of the Marines. They will never be able to understand the love and commitment that Marines have for each other (quite frankly, we don't even understand it ourselves). Marines always manage to recognize each other, even after being inactive for 20 or more years, and there is an instant connection between us, an instant respect and love for our brothers. Some call us Prima Donnas, and we may be that, but when you are the absolute best, you can afford to have a little conceit.

Lon

P.S. Flame suit is on

#51 ·
Had my Army Basic at Ft. Bliss Texas in 1969, it looked a lot more like the Marine video than the Army one.
If your DI was good (meaning you hated his guts) you never forgot his name, mine was SGT. Paddock.

Ahhh the memories, PT, Close order drill, the range, the training, all done in that hot desert sand. All the while there was a perfectly good road we could have used just sitting not being used. :22a:

#56 ·
Keep in mind the Army video is Reception. Usually reception battalion a lot nicer than Basic Infantry Training Battalions. I know when I went to Basic the Reception battalion seemed a little harsh. But nothing compared to Basic Battalion. They break up basic into three phases varying in the degree of "respect" given or rather the independence allowed. All I know is I had an ex-girlfriend that told me the in the Air Force Basic training she got base passes during Basic. I would've liked a post pass during basic in the Army. I know when I got to reception the Drill Sergeants that were there were getting to the end of their enlistment and some were retiring. So they had enough of being anal.

#57 ·
You are right that reception wasn't that bad. even though I still remember mine being alot harsher then that video, but I will still never forget the day came to be assigned to out basic training units, 10 smokey the bear hat wearing drill sergeants marching up and the tearing into us began! LOL For an 18 year old I was called cuss words I hadn't even heard and had to bite my lip often to help but smirk at several of them after several soldiers were dropped(push ups) for laughing. I think one of the comments I was called had to do with fornicating and the residual of it! LOL Several of you probably know what that phrase was I'll bet. :rofl:

Oh that brings back such fond memories of Fort Hood in August. Having to stand around in full MOPP gear for hours at a time. Ugh...heck of a way to lose weight though!
I remember Hood well in MOPP level four in August. My field excercise I got heat exhaustion and had to take three bags of IV fluid after they found me passed out at my OP! At first they thought I just fell asleep and was getting the reaming of my life from my Sergeant until they reliazed I passed out from the heat. I adjusted though after that, especially after three rotations to NTC in Ft Irwin, CA, now that was blasting hot!

#59 ·
In four generations of family I can count 29 service veterans spanning every branch of service except the Coast Guard. Amongst myself and my six brothers we count four Marines, one Soldier and one Airman. I did Basic Training and the MP Academy back to back in the same unit at Ft. McClellan, AL when it was still an active training installation. Started in October and graduated in March. I have a son who is a Marine and a daughter who is a Soldier. My son-in-law is a soldier. My daughter-in-law to be is a Marine. If you served or do now, WE THANK YOU.

I think the Marine Corps does the best job of instilling esprit de corps in their recruits. I didn't really care for boot camp much - but I miss it when I look back. My DI's name was Sgt. Lyons and no, I'll never forget him.

Oddly enough, whether you want to be successful as a Marine, or as a Soldier the same three essential rules apply in basic training:

1) Just don't quit.
2) You don't have to like it; you just have to do it.
3) Ignore the distractions; focus on the mission.

#61 ·
LoL , We definately loved being crouched behind a tank when the bulletes were flying . The 82nd Airborne the worlds police force !! remind me to tell ya about a story of a tanker and a platoon of infantry going down the streets of panama with the bullets flying and a tank gunner that had not sleep for 3 days.
lol . but the point is we all jab each other but we all served!!and continue to serve , with the way things are going we may all be fighting here in the streets trying to defend our home lands !

#62 ·
Amen brother! I think alot of people today are so negative that we say we prepare for that worse cause scenario. Yes even I stockpile a few things, guns, some food, and precious metal bullion just in case that day happens. But I think our best days are still ahead like Reagan said.

As far as your story goes, a tank gunner without sleep for three days I am sure I can imagine some sort of blooper he did! Like the one I seen that indexed the wrong kind of main gun round into the computer and launched it over a hill, or when meaning to fire the coax machine gun off goes the cannon! LOL Something like that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.