Army v. USMC boot camp

This is a discussion on Army v. USMC boot camp within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Cupcake What I hated most about Air Force Boot was Texas. Mostly the Texas summer. All you have to do is drink ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Army v. USMC boot camp

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    What I hated most about Air Force Boot was Texas. Mostly the Texas summer.
    All you have to do is drink about a gallon of water a day, and when it is all sweated out it will run in to your boots and cool your feet off.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    All you have to do is drink about a gallon of water a day, and when it is all sweated out it will run in to your boots and cool your feet off.

I went through the chemical part of EOD School in Alabama, in July! I couldn't believe the amount of liquid you could collect in the boots of a full chemical suit!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

JD
    Administrator
    I heard that at PI they would make you stand on the beach and let sand fleas nibble away at you, making you stand at attention. Is this true or did that guy try to pull one over one me? He was a former Marine so I just assumed it was true, but have always been curious.
    When we were doing our field training at PI, one night on the way to the chow hall, the DI had us mark time in the grassy field next to the chow hall, kicking up every single bug possible, then he called us to attention and had us stand for about 15 minutes that felt like two hours while we got eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    When we were doing our field training at PI, one night on the way to the chow hall, the DI had us mark time in the grassy field next to the chow hall, kicking up every single bug possible, then he called us to attention and had us stand for about 15 minutes that felt like two hours while we got eaten.
    I remember fondly the ever present black cloud of sand fleas that swarmed outside of 1st RTR chow hall. Typical Marine stuff, through the threat not around it.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I hate squishy footwear. You know what really sucked? If anyone felt even a drop of rainfall, we had to wear our field jackets with the hoods up. And of course, you cannot wear an item without it being zipped, buttoned, and tied. I'm from Michigna, I whine every spring when it starts getting above 74 degrees.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

then he called us to attention and had us stand for about 15 minutes that felt like two hours while we got eaten.
    No thank you. The worst thing that happened to us, not counting all the trouble I got in or when I got my article 15, was a Midnight preparation drill. Too many guys had their canteens 1/2 full (or 1/2 empty) and the Drill Sergeants had fun with them. Then me because I got caught tossing mine to someone since my inspection was complete.

If anyone felt even a drop of rainfall, we had to wear our field jackets with the hoods up.
    That is because in TX 2 drops can quickly turn in to a flash flood.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I did Basic at Ft. Lost in the Woods, I didn't have that lady cut my hair. I had some old fart who took hair cutting personally and cut hair so it hurt and you found your "battle face".

Marine Boot is nuts, that is all I can say.
    Same here. I did my Basic and AIT at Ft Benning. I sure didn't see any females. Well, er, there was one trip in to Columbus. This was quite a few years ago.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    When I was there it was too hot for the sand fleas... the mosquitos though... "Did you eat chow?" "Yes, sir." "Well let him eat chow."
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Cupcake

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I was one of the twisted people that liked boot camp (OK, the first couple of weeks stunk) and was kinda of sad when it was over.
    What ever I went to wasn't so bad, in fact I got to go two summers in a row. Just the Quantico heat.

Apparently the Army must be kinder and gentler then when I went though boot camp. We did not get addressed as soldier or warrior, it was more, maget, puke, etc.... LOL Hope they are not babying them!
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post

I went through the chemical part of EOD School in Alabama, in July! I couldn't believe the amount of liquid you could collect in the boots of a full chemical suit!

How about Fort Irwin, CA near Death Valley in summer 120 degrees in an Abrams tank, my thermomator read 140 some days, and wearing flak vest and sometimes MOPP gear sucked. But it was fun! LOL
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Went through OSUT (One Station Unit Training) for Infantry School at Ft. Benning, GA in August. Got the daily grand tour of Harmony Church, complete with the sand pits and the dreaded low crawl. Lots of fun. Was never addressed as a warrior, soldier, etc. until the week before we graduated. I loved basic and AIT, especially bivouac, but getting to W. Germany after that hardcore stuff left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not made for painting rocks for some light bird Colonel who's coming to visit.... Did my time, got out, and went to school.

Always wondered if I'd gone into the Corps instead, if I'd have ever gotten out. Dunno what life for leathernecks was like after basic, but it would HAVE to be more hardcore than the crappy time I spent as an infantryman/painter.

I found the Air Force and Navy Boot Camp Vids:

USAF

USN
    And another to you Cupcake...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

EW3
    Ahh, yes. Good times...

I remember getting off that bus at Fort Jackson like it was yesterday, not 17 years ago!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    I knew I was going to have fun when Sgt Rock picked us up from the holding company. No kidding his name was Sgt Rock. We all paid for laughing when he introduced himself. Six foot three, thirty inch waist and 46 inch chest (yeah I asked and I paid for asking). Too bad he was DI of the year so he went on tour in our second week.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links