Army v. USMC boot camp - Page 3

Army v. USMC boot camp

This is a discussion on Army v. USMC boot camp within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Old Army memories......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Army v. USMC boot camp

Old Army memories...

Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    Went through OSUT (One Station Unit Training) for Infantry School at Ft. Benning, GA in August. Got the daily grand tour of Harmony Church, complete with the sand pits and the dreaded low crawl. Lots of fun. Was never addressed as a warrior, soldier, etc. until the week before we graduated. I loved basic and AIT, especially bivouac, but getting to W. Germany after that hardcore stuff left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not made for painting rocks for some light bird Colonel who's coming to visit.... Did my time, got out, and went to school.

Always wondered if I'd gone into the Corps instead, if I'd have ever gotten out. Dunno what life for leathernecks was like after basic, but it would HAVE to be more hardcore than the crappy time I spent as an infantryman/painter.
    I was in the Army in the 90's and your right there was no nice and sensitive drill sergeants. I did OSUT Abrams training in Ft Knox, KY and the Drill Sergeants were hardcore! But thats what they are supposed to be, we're not supposed to train an Army of wimps. Hope they are not that way everywhere.
    Last edited by Scott; August 24th, 2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: changed profanity filter censor to uncensored word.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Man, I hated most of it. I was not cut out to be regimented or told what to do.

Having said that, some of it was pretty cool. I was in good shape, and had always been a physical guy, so I liked the PT.

I also liked what I affectionately recall as "playing war in the woods", "hiking", shooting (duh) and "camping".

But other than those parts, it sucked, sucked, sucked. Esp. COD. Esp. marching in formation everywhere (incl. to eat). Lots of hurry up so we can go stand in another line for hours.

I thought all those things were just one inefficient cluster**** after another.

Oh, well.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

m41
    The debate of MC vs USA boot camp in never ending. Having worked as an instructor training all service members in jungle operations, having seen both services doing the same things under some very uncomfortable settings, I can honestly say that there is good and bad in all of them. I do not believe the ratio is any better between them. It is all what you make out of it IMO. The two major combat services have differing methods of training. Both very effective just different. I think all US military personnel are the best in the world bar none.

uh-oh I think i got a woody after watching that.....

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    I'm not made for painting rocks for some light bird Colonel who's coming to visit.... Did my time, got out, and went to school.

Always wondered if I'd gone into the Corps instead, if I'd have ever gotten out. Dunno what life for leathernecks was like after basic, but it would HAVE to be more hardcore than the crappy time I spent as an infantryman/painter.
    I hope I'm not destroying the mystique, but the Corps had those that liked their rocks painted too.

The SgtMaj in my first unit insisted that the underside was painted too. Attention to Detail, I guess.

that marine video reminds me of fort sill. i truely miss that place.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

I know this about Boot Camp and all, but trying to figure out if Army boot is tougher than USMC boot is kinda like quibbling over the bronze medal.

Isn't BUD/S just about the toughest school in the US military?

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Wow...those Army Basic videos bring back memories. Hollywood at Ft Jackson now THAT was some fun......

I think the "this Bud/s for you" boys are almost as tough as USMC Recon. training!!!!

A long time ago.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I was stationed just up from NAB Coronado where BUD's was. IMO SEALs are the toughest in the business. I must give a tip of the hat to USAF Pararescue. Tough schooling and tough missions for both.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

The uniforms are different, and I too was never called anything but "Private" until post graduation, but all of that 'fun' at reception sure looked familiar in the Army video. If I never see Missouri again it will be too soon. The parts I remember most clearly were being more dog-dead tired than ever before or since from having to pull two and three fire guard shifts a night (we had a particularly sadistic drill who punished the whole platoon by making us pull the extra shifts) and crawling across that damn rocky stretch of dirt under the machine gun fire to finish off the FTX. I knew that once I crossed that thing I had as good as graduated. No one has ever low crawled that fast before or since. The upside is that now few things are difficult by comparison. I have to laugh when my friends in college are intimidated by grumpy professors. I've yet to see one who scared me as much as DS Morales!
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I missed seeing the Mt. Suribachi recreation where all the recruits dump their footlockers and push all the contents to the middle of the squad bay and the DI's walk over it and then give 60 seconds for everything to be put away. That was fun. Took me almost the whole 13 weeks to get all my stuff back since there was very little free time.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I always hated when you missed one little corner of your bed and when you get back to the barracks your mattress had been thrown out the window and you have to lug it up the 3 flights of stairs I had to go, after cleaning off the snow (Ft. Leonard Wood in November can be fun).

Or you forget to lock your locker and all your stuff is now in the middle of the friggin floor with your shaving cream sprayed all over it. Sad part is, the one time I did that, the lock was hanging from the key on my dog tag chain and I never felt it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links