Army v. USMC boot camp

This is a discussion on Army v. USMC boot camp within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are former soldiers. There are former sailors. There are former airmen. There are no former Marines. I am a Marine. It isn't a branch ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Army v. USMC boot camp

There are former soldiers.
    There are former sailors.
    There are former airmen.
    There are no former Marines. I am a Marine. It isn't a branch of service, it is a rite of passage and a way of life. I will die a Marine.

No matter how you cut it, it's different and Boot Camp is where it was done!

MGySgt USMC (retired) 30 years active service.

OOORAH
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

2. Remove Ads

Well said Master Guns. To put it into perspective...

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    that marine video reminds me of fort sill. i truely miss that place.
    I'm going to bet you're one of the few that does.

*shudders*

I'm never going back to Oklahoma...
    Only bring artillery when you intend to kill absolutely everything.

I was at Ft. Sill for a week during JROTC and hated it. I can only imagine being stationed there.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

The Soldiers I see today are way different then the Marine Recruits I went through MCRD San Diego with. I am glad I became a Marine, sorry for leaving the Corps, but passionate with serving my country until death.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Had my Army Basic at Ft. Bliss Texas in 1969, it looked a lot more like the Marine video than the Army one.
    If your DI was good (meaning you hated his guts) you never forgot his name, mine was SGT. Paddock.

Ahhh the memories, PT, Close order drill, the range, the training, all done in that hot desert sand. All the while there was a perfectly good road we could have used just sitting not being used.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post

I went through the chemical part of EOD School in Alabama, in July! I couldn't believe the amount of liquid you could collect in the boots of a full chemical suit!
    Oh that brings back such fond memories of Fort Hood in August. Having to stand around in full MOPP gear for hours at a time. Ugh...heck of a way to lose weight though!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    There are former airmen.
    There are no former Marines. I am a Marine. It isn't a branch of service, it is a rite of passage and a way of life. I will die a Marine.

OOORAH
    Well said, Master Guns. While the other services are well deserving of respect for the job they do, they will never approach the level of commitment of the Marines. They will never be able to understand the love and commitment that Marines have for each other (quite frankly, we don't even understand it ourselves). Marines always manage to recognize each other, even after being inactive for 20 or more years, and there is an instant connection between us, an instant respect and love for our brothers. Some call us Prima Donnas, and we may be that, but when you are the absolute best, you can afford to have a little conceit.

Lon

P.S. Flame suit is on

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    There are former airmen.

OOORAH
    While I hold the upmost respect for your service and for the corps, I still have not ever called myself a "former soldier" as you stated. But I guess it depends what you did in the Army, I was in combat arms(armor), alot of those I see in combat arms(infantry, armor, cavalry) seem to be of a more "hardcore" mentality then those that were support units, i.e pencil pushers, mechanics, and so on. I remember walking my first promotion gauntlet(I'm sure the corps had them too) and after the pain and agony was never more proud, like I was finally part of the brotherhood. I know there are alot of you in here that probably did much more then I ever did but I still feel a part of the brotherhood and am grateful for the life changing experience.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    While I hold the upmost respect for your service and for the corps, I still have not ever called myself a "former soldier" as you stated. But I guess it depends what you did in the Army, I was in combat arms(armor), alot of those I see in combat arms(infantry, armor, cavalry) seem to be of a more "hardcore" mentality then those that were support units, i.e pencil pushers, mechanics, and so on. I remember walking my first promotion gauntlet(I'm sure the corps had them too) and after the pain and agony was never more proud, like I was finally part of the brotherhood. I know there are alot of you in here that probably did much more then I ever did but I still feel a part of the brotherhood and am grateful for the life changing experience.
    I give the Marines their due, the Corps is almost a religion and they have a lot to be proud of, but anyone who has served our country is a hero in my book. My family has both Marines and Army veterans, from WW II, Korea, Vietnam, and now Iraq and Afghanistan. We may argue and rib each other for our choices of service, but each one of us stands proud of the others accomplishments.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Keep in mind the Army video is Reception. Usually reception battalion a lot nicer than Basic Infantry Training Battalions. I know when I went to Basic the Reception battalion seemed a little harsh. But nothing compared to Basic Battalion. They break up basic into three phases varying in the degree of "respect" given or rather the independence allowed. All I know is I had an ex-girlfriend that told me the in the Air Force Basic training she got base passes during Basic. I would've liked a post pass during basic in the Army. I know when I got to reception the Drill Sergeants that were there were getting to the end of their enlistment and some were retiring. So they had enough of being anal.

Quote Originally Posted by jsm7483 View Post
    Keep in mind the Army video is Reception. Usually reception battalion a lot nicer than Basic Infantry Training Battalions. I know when I went to Basic the Reception battalion seemed a little harsh. But nothing compared to Basic Battalion. They break up basic into three phases varying in the degree of "respect" given or rather the independence allowed. All I know is I had an ex-girlfriend that told me the in the Air Force Basic training she got base passes during Basic. I would've liked a post pass during basic in the Army. I know when I got to reception the Drill Sergeants that were there were getting to the end of their enlistment and some were retiring. So they had enough of being anal.
    You are right that reception wasn't that bad. even though I still remember mine being alot harsher then that video, but I will still never forget the day came to be assigned to out basic training units, 10 smokey the bear hat wearing drill sergeants marching up and the tearing into us began! LOL For an 18 year old I was called cuss words I hadn't even heard and had to bite my lip often to help but smirk at several of them after several soldiers were dropped(push ups) for laughing. I think one of the comments I was called had to do with fornicating and the residual of it! LOL Several of you probably know what that phrase was I'll bet.

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Oh that brings back such fond memories of Fort Hood in August. Having to stand around in full MOPP gear for hours at a time. Ugh...heck of a way to lose weight though!
    I remember Hood well in MOPP level four in August. My field excercise I got heat exhaustion and had to take three bags of IV fluid after they found me passed out at my OP! At first they thought I just fell asleep and was getting the reaming of my life from my Sergeant until they reliazed I passed out from the heat. I adjusted though after that, especially after three rotations to NTC in Ft Irwin, CA, now that was blasting hot!
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    I have to agree when i was in it was nothing for the DI to beat the HELLL out of you and nothing said we toed the line . and it only got worse in Airborne school then onto your unit, we crossed trained with force recon marines and they seemed hardcore enough to keep with the airborne earned my respect . But I will always be a Paratrooper. Rangers , Special forces and Airborne there is no ETS.. Also Id like to add my daughter dates a marine and many of my friends were are marines but even talking with them [I] believe all branches of service are getting soft . but believe your basic infantry will always be salt of the earth we can drop all the bombs we want but it aint ours till boots are on the ground. sorry to be so long winded but found out Daughters boyfriend is going to Afganistan have tried to talk to him , I have served 2 combat tours with the 82nd and many memories have been brought back up , so much to tell him but in the end all i can really say is keep your head down and my prayers go with him...
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

In four generations of family I can count 29 service veterans spanning every branch of service except the Coast Guard. Amongst myself and my six brothers we count four Marines, one Soldier and one Airman. I did Basic Training and the MP Academy back to back in the same unit at Ft. McClellan, AL when it was still an active training installation. Started in October and graduated in March. I have a son who is a Marine and a daughter who is a Soldier. My son-in-law is a soldier. My daughter-in-law to be is a Marine. If you served or do now, WE THANK YOU.

I think the Marine Corps does the best job of instilling esprit de corps in their recruits. I didn't really care for boot camp much - but I miss it when I look back. My DI's name was Sgt. Lyons and no, I'll never forget him.

Oddly enough, whether you want to be successful as a Marine, or as a Soldier the same three essential rules apply in basic training:

1) Just don't quit.
    2) You don't have to like it; you just have to do it.
    3) Ignore the distractions; focus on the mission.
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"
    I think, therefore I am armed.

Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    I have to agree when i was in it was nothing for the DI to beat the HELLL out of you and nothing said we toed the line . and it only got worse in Airborne school then onto your unit, we crossed trained with force recon marines and they seemed hardcore enough to keep with the airborne earned my respect . But I will always be a Paratrooper. Rangers , Special forces and Airborne there is no ETS.. Also Id like to add my daughter dates a marine and many of my friends were are marines but even talking with them [I] believe all branches of service are getting soft . but believe your basic infantry will always be salt of the earth we can drop all the bombs we want but it aint ours till boots are on the ground. sorry to be so long winded but found out Daughters boyfriend is going to Afganistan have tried to talk to him , I have served 2 combat tours with the 82nd and many memories have been brought back up , so much to tell him but in the end all i can really say is keep your head down and my prayers go with him...

Without a doubt you did more in your service then I ever did. I remember some of you airbourne types. LOL My armor batallion was attached to the 82nd airbourne for training in Ft Polk, LA, before we went to the field I went to the PX to get supplies for the field(snacks and tobacco) got into a huge line at the ATM and in front of me stand a huge line of marron berrets airbourne boots and all, and then there was me in my old soft cap and tanker boots, I think the whole line turned at the same time to see what the heck I was and was eyeballed by every single one. Thought I was going to get into a fight until finally one of them asked me about "those boots", once I said what they were and that our abrams tanks were attached to them for the mission, they all got pumped then they all wanted to see the tank, guess in the airbourne you don't get too many of them around! LOL For awhile though thought I would have to try to take on the whole airbourne and at 19 yrs old I might have been dumb enough to try. LOL

Samuel Adams

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links