Army v. USMC boot camp

5K views 61 replies 39 participants last post by  TX Husker Fan 
#1 ·
For your viewing pleasure

Army

USMC

#3 ·
I love people with manners...:yup:

Stay armed...be polite:rofl:...stay safe!

#5 ·
I did Basic at Ft. Lost in the Woods, I didn't have that lady cut my hair. I had some old fart who took hair cutting personally and cut hair so it hurt and you found your "battle face".

Marine Boot is nuts, that is all I can say.

#6 ·
Well, geez. They have videos now huh? That's interesting to say the least. Marines! It's what everyone wants to be but according to the government, they had to grade folks on a curve. I was told I could jump two grades transferring to the Army out of Marine boot camp. Back in the day that would have meant a $300 a month increase in pay. But I thought to myself.....why? May God bless the new recruits.

#8 ·
I was kind of twisted too... I liked drill. Being out on the grinder and drilling. I could drill for hours and not even get tired.

#11 ·
Well, I learned something from the Army drill sergeant. I didn't realize it was acceptable to address somebody by their rank preceded by their last name. Is that specific to Ft. Leonard Wood or is it Army wide? :biggrin:

I mean, I would never call General Bumper "Bumper General." He might take exception and kick me off the forum.

Oh, and another thing, they may be somebody's kids, but they're adults. Please treat them as such.

#12 ·
Brings back old memories,it was more mental then physical for me. At PI we had to PT in the fire ant mounds, dose any one remember that fun time? I was the best in platoon for keeping weapon clean, kept the DI heat off.USMC 81-85. Cling-ON

#13 ·
I heard that at PI they would make you stand on the beach and let sand fleas nibble away at you, making you stand at attention. Is this true or did that guy try to pull one over one me? He was a former Marine so I just assumed it was true, but have always been curious.

#14 ·
I don't remember being on a beach at PI, it was a sandy Island in a swampy coastline, maybe a beach on the left coast. We did however had to stand in formation and "Let the bugs feed". Sometimes it was better to do the push-ups then get chowed!

#15 ·
What I hated most about Air Force Boot was Texas. Mostly the Texas summer. Ridiculous. 100+ degrees at 5:30 am, how do people live there? Drill on a black-topped parade ground in black boots felt like my feet were on fire, top and bottom, and my boots would stick to the asphalt because it was tacky/melting from the heat. I also didn't care for the part where they kept telling me what to do.

#25 ·
Apparently the Army must be kinder and gentler then when I went though boot camp. We did not get addressed as soldier or warrior, it was more, maget, puke, etc.... LOL Hope they are not babying them!

#27 ·
Went through OSUT (One Station Unit Training) for Infantry School at Ft. Benning, GA in August. Got the daily grand tour of Harmony Church, complete with the sand pits and the dreaded low crawl. Lots of fun. Was never addressed as a warrior, soldier, etc. until the week before we graduated. I loved basic and AIT, especially bivouac, but getting to W. Germany after that hardcore stuff left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not made for painting rocks for some light bird Colonel who's coming to visit.... Did my time, got out, and went to school.

Always wondered if I'd gone into the Corps instead, if I'd have ever gotten out. Dunno what life for leathernecks was like after basic, but it would HAVE to be more hardcore than the crappy time I spent as an infantryman/painter.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was in the Army in the 90's and your right there was no nice and sensitive drill sergeants. I did OSUT Abrams training in Ft Knox, KY and the Drill Sergeants were hardcore! But thats what they are supposed to be, we're not supposed to train an Army of wimps. Hope they are not that way everywhere.

#29 ·
Ahh, yes. Good times...

I remember getting off that bus at Fort Jackson like it was yesterday, not 17 years ago!

#30 ·
I knew I was going to have fun when Sgt Rock picked us up from the holding company. No kidding his name was Sgt Rock. We all paid for laughing when he introduced himself. Six foot three, thirty inch waist and 46 inch chest (yeah I asked and I paid for asking). Too bad he was DI of the year so he went on tour in our second week.

#33 ·
Man, I hated most of it. I was not cut out to be regimented or told what to do.

Having said that, some of it was pretty cool. I was in good shape, and had always been a physical guy, so I liked the PT.

I also liked what I affectionately recall as "playing war in the woods", "hiking", shooting (duh) and "camping".

But other than those parts, it sucked, sucked, sucked. Esp. COD. Esp. marching in formation everywhere (incl. to eat). Lots of hurry up so we can go stand in another line for hours.

I thought all those things were just one inefficient cluster**** after another.

Oh, well.

#34 ·
The debate of MC vs USA boot camp in never ending. Having worked as an instructor training all service members in jungle operations, having seen both services doing the same things under some very uncomfortable settings, I can honestly say that there is good and bad in all of them. I do not believe the ratio is any better between them. It is all what you make out of it IMO. The two major combat services have differing methods of training. Both very effective just different. I think all US military personnel are the best in the world bar none.

#37 ·
that marine video reminds me of fort sill. i truely miss that place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.