Army green Class A uniform is no more

This is a discussion on Army green Class A uniform is no more within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Green Class A uniforms out By Gina Cavallaro - Staff writer Posted : Friday Aug 22, 2008 14:47:55 EDT The days of the green Class ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Army green Class A uniform is no more

Army green Class A uniform is no more

Green Class A uniforms out

By Gina Cavallaro - Staff writer
    Posted : Friday Aug 22, 2008 14:47:55 EDT

The days of the green Class A’s are over.

The Army’s plan to make dress blues the only Army Service Uniform has been approved and soldiers who own the uniform are encouraged to begin wearing it now, the Army announced Wednesday.

The move to eliminate the green uniform is designed to streamline soldiers’ clothing bags while modernizing the way the traditional blue uniform is worn.

The new wear policy was announced Wednesday in an Army-wide message from Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey and Sgt. Maj. of the Army Kenneth Preston.

The most significant change, aside from the switch from green to blue, is the option to wear a combat service identification badge, something that was not allowed with the blues.

“This uniform is part of a larger modular uniform system. It’s the culmination of a transformation effort that began back in 2004,” Preston told Army Times, referring to the development of the Army Combat Uniform and its introduction in May 2005. “The ACU really streamlined the impact on soldiers and, of course, that same thought process was really applied to our dress uniform.”

Preston said the blue uniform has come out overwhelmingly ahead in several surveys of soldiers asked their preference for a dress uniform, and in more than 150 forums he conducted over the past two years.

The vast majority of soldiers also expressed a desire to display their combat credentials, he said.

Other changes include:

• Soldiers who wear green, tan or maroon berets, soldiers assigned to air assault coded positions and military police on duty will be permitted to blouse their trousers with the black leather combat boot.

• The black, tan, maroon and green beret will be permitted with all uniforms. Men and women in the rank of corporal and above will have the option of wearing a service cap, for which there will be a stipend. Commanders will be authorized to determine which headgear should be worn for a particular event.

• During the development of the uniform, a grey shirt had been considered, but the Army decided that white shirts will be worn with all Class A and B uniforms because it “showcases the soldiers’ uniform,” Preston said.

The new uniform will be available at clothing sales stores next summer.

Soldiers graduating from basic training will get it as part of their clothing bag by the summer of 2010.

Clothing allowances will be adjusted, and every soldier will be wearing the blue uniform by 2014.
    As you can tell, the Army has too much time on their hands. At least we're not at war or anything... (Yes, I realize the AF and the Navy appear to have excess time and money, as well.)

We've decided the guy in the photo (provided in the link) looks like a Pakistani fire chief. The guys in the office are thinking a Sam Elliot moustache and a couple of full-size medals randomly placed would complete the outfit. Oh--and a cigar.

Green Class A uniforms out - Army News, opinions, editorials, news from Iraq, photos, reports - Army Times

Cheers,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

2. Remove Ads

Yeah my daughter just got her new ones in Korea N she did not only get to wear her greens more than a handful of times.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    As you can tell, the Army has too much time on their hands. At least we're not at war or anything... (Yes, I realize the AF and the Navy appear to have excess time and money, as well.)...
    You realize, of course, that the Marines started all this when they went to the MARPAT uniforms back in '02/'03...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

1943 - 2009
    We've decided the guy in the photo (provided in the link) looks like a Pakistani fire chief. The guys in the office are thinking a Sam Elliot moustache and a couple of full-size medals randomly placed would complete the outfit. Oh--and a cigar.
    Spoken like a true Zoomie!

But as an ex-dogface, I agree.

Whatever happened to the old khakis, tropical worsteds, summer weight greens and fatigues? Just reminiscing...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Lead Moderator
    The picture of the class B in the web site has got to be the ugliest uniform I've ever seen, it looks like sh.......... Oops, a word we don't use here.

I remember in about 1965 the Army tried a uniform that was cut like the short sleeved khakis we had, but were the color of the green uniform. We looked like Explorer Scouts, it never went anywhere.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

OPFOR,

True statement. However, momma always said, "If all your friends jumped off the bridge, does that mean you would too?"
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

EW3
    Ughh. That Class B uniform is hideous. Why does every service (except the Marines) seem to have a special Let's See how We Can Design An Ugly Uniform Committee?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

The good news is now their dress uniforms will match their utilities. +1 for those who thought the guy pictured looks like a D-bag.

Austin

I don't even know what to say. That just looks like the "queer eye" guys got a hold of the uniform.

And I still say the black beret should not be worn by everyone, only Rangers.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    That guy in the link looks like an officer off a 3rd world flagged tour ship.

Maybe they want to save money on ammo by making the other side laugh themselves to death?

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    The work dress for the Canadian forces was so bland and unassuming, not to mention identical to almost every other federal uniform, that they went to a Cam patten jacket so people would know they were in the army!! Even though the regular combats worn in the field were plain green.

Looks like 3rd world too me. mabe South America , Mexico?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Looks like 3rd world too me. mabe South America , Mexico?
    Agreed. It seems as if the side arm should be some clapped out 38 S&W in a clamshell, cheesy Magnum P.I. mustache and the Hummer should be replaced with a beat to death Toyota.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Agreed...cheesy Magnum P.I. mustache...
    Hey, Magnum P.I.'s mustache Rocks! Now that I think about it, his is kinda conservative compared to mine.

Oh yea, that's one ugly uni. I like the greens.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Agreed. It seems as if the side arm should be some clapped out 38 S&W in a clamshell, cheesy Magnum P.I. mustache and the Hummer should be replaced with a beat to death Toyota.

S&W is way too upscale. I think you're looking for a Rossi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links