Shots Fired Aboard Plane in Miami - Page 3

Shots Fired Aboard Plane in Miami

This is a discussion on Shots Fired Aboard Plane in Miami within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yeah...there will be hell to pay by the critics who have short memories about 911 & the war on terror we are in - will ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yeah...there will be hell to pay by the critics who have short memories about 911 & the war on terror we are in - will probably paint him as the poor bipolar sick guy that had mental issues and his mother didn't love him, he was just kidding,..blah blah blah!!!

Bottom line is the Air Marshalls did their job! Let all be warned if you charge at sworn professionals with guns down an airplane jetway yelling you have a bomb in your backpack, fail to follow vocal commands, then reach into the bag...you die, end of story! May or may not be a tragic instance, but not nearly as much as 256 innocent people blown to bits by crazed "bipolar" man that detonated his backpack bomb. Tough call for the Air Marshalls...I don't think so!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Lead Moderator
    I don't see how the air marshals had much choice.

I'm with rocky. Consider instead someone comes up to you and says "I've got a gun in this pack and I'm going to shoot you.", you draw on him, and he ignores your pleas to put the pack down... Air Marshal was just doing his job.

VIP Member
    From what I have seen this morning on the news, the chorus of Monday Morning quarterbacks has started and they are criticizing the Marshalls for acting so impulsive and killing an innocent-sick man. So far, I have not seen a politician join the chant but I am sure it won't take long.

My Mom, bless her heart, just dropped her two cents in this fracas. She is saying if the blame has to go somewhere, it should rest squarely on the wife for not warning the airplane's crew with lots of anticipation, that her husband was bipolar and had not taken his meds.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Well an Air Marshall finally had to deploy his weapon and use it in a forceful situation. From what I have heard, trying to filter out the liberal crap, I commend the officer but do not envy his job. The deceased stated he had a bomb, starting run uncontrollably through the plane rumbling "things" about blowing it up. The plane by the way was sitting at the gate, so now you have the worry of the gate and concourse having damage too. the deceased man off the plane onto the ramp, away from the marshalls and the plane in which he said he had a bomb on. he was confronted at which time he stuck his hand into his carry on, and was shot dead.
    thank you Mr. Air Marshall, for protecting those people and doing a very difficult job. no body wants to shoot and kill someone, but you answered the call of duty.
    I would like to hear others thoughts or disagreements on this topic.

not to mention....all the people on the concourse if the plane is blown up or the surrounding planes/area at the terminal. not only did the marshall defend the "sane" plane passengers but also all those people.
    fine job. what a great prozac commercial!! --take our drug or die
    Last edited by Betty; December 8th, 2005 at 02:37 PM. Reason: pasting text for poster
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

VIP Member
    I'm moving this thread to the Law Enforcement/Homeland Security subforum.

From what I've been following, it looked like a good shoot, whether the man actually had a bomb or not. It's no different than someone threatening someone with a toy gun or unloaded gun if the person threatened doesn't know it's fake or unloaded.

There's a poll on abcnews.com:

"Do you think the Federal Air Marshal did the right thing by shooting the passenger in Miami?
    Yes - 80.3%
    No - 11.8%
    Unsure - 7.8%
    Last edited by Betty; December 8th, 2005 at 10:25 AM.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    From what I have seen this morning on the news, the chorus of Monday Morning quarterbacks has started and they are criticizing the Marshalls for acting so impulsive and killing an innocent-sick man. So far, I have not seen a politician join the chant but I am sure it won't take long.
    I'd assume that the emergence of MMQBs doesn't surprise anyone. I'm currently on travel and for that reason saw the article in USA Today. It started off saying "They travel on plaincloths and carry some of the most lethal bullets made." I read that twice, not believeing any news organization would start an article with such a stupid statement.

I'm also sure the cry of "no bomb found" will creep into the arguements over the next couple days.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Exclamation Bad Fam! Bad Fam!

One of my students was nearby when this happened. He works in the airport.

I think the BLAME should go to the FAM's and they should have to re-take their marksmanship training! This guy died LATER at the hospital! What if he DID have a bomb? What if he was a dedicated terrorist? He should have been dropped permanently on the spot...DEAD with a "no twitch" shot. This does not make me feel any safer.

Now we'll see how many folks read the entire post before they switch on the flamethrowers....lol
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Just another day in the "funshine" state!
    The Marshmallowist

Ex, I'm not sure. You would have to look at what was in the background. If they go for a CNS shot could somebody else have been struck. Also,this individual was running so hitting a target as small as a head in that case is hard.
    I think they did the zipper move.
    With the possible bomb in a bag not on a vest, most likley there was not Deadmans's switch.
    Personally, I still give a kudos to the FAMs for doing what was needed.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

1943 - 2009
    I'm also sure the cry of "no bomb found" will creep into the arguements over the next couple days.
    You're right, Rick. A little fact that seems to have been overlooked by the media bleeding hearts is that this was a direct flight from Medellin, Columbia, where the pre-flight security screening is probably not as thorough as it is in the U.S.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I will have to say that the Left wing media has done an excellent job of not blaming the marsall for shooting. I have watched the story on 4 different channels and through several anchors each channel (I was bored and wanted to see how it was reported) even after it came out that the guy was just mentally unstable and there was not a bomb present, every anchor and "expert" to the person said it was justified and if you don't want to get shot don't act in the manner this man did.

EXTREMELY impressed with the reporting.

Now, had the same situation happened in a mall and the shooter been a citizen lawfully CCW'ing I believe the cries of RAMBO would be rampant. As a matter of fact, I believe that had it been any other law enforcement, anywhere other than in an airport...the guy would get crucified.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    You're right, Rick. A little fact that seems to have been overlooked by the media bleeding hearts is that this was a direct flight from Medellin, Columbia, where the pre-flight security screening is probably not as thorough as it is in the U.S.
    Actually, according to all the TSA experts that were on the news, Columbia is one of the tougher countries when it comes to ariline security, and if you're flying into the US you have to meet TSA standards.

Interestingly there was a guy from El Al that they interviewed who said if it was an Iraeli flight on the mention of the word bomb the guy would have been immediately shot, no verbal commands given!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I'd say that either it was legit, or you have a smart-a$$ that learned his lesson. Don't mess around when it comes to guns, bombs, etc. No one will find it humerous. You try to get a laugh, and you get dead.

To all evidence, he was EDP- not a "dirtball, scumbag, or retard". Unfortunately, just terminally confused. The AM's did right. My sympathy for the guy and family.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links