Aviono AB Housing worth anything

This is a discussion on Aviono AB Housing worth anything within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just found out I have orders to Aviono AB Italy and was wondering how good the base housing is?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aviono AB Housing worth anything

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

I just found out I have orders to Aviono AB Italy and was wondering how good the base housing is?
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Nice. I want to go there. I thought assignments weren't being given out yet? Also, what are you planning to do with your guns?

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Get in touch with your sponsor, he or she will be able to answer all your questions. If you can't get in touch with your sponsor call your gaining unit, someone there should be able to help you. One of the guys in my shop is headed there this winter and he's being told he'll have to live off base because they are rebuilding a large portion of base housing.

By the way, congratulations. I've only heard great things about Aviano.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

B52
    Very nice base, I was there for 6 months in 1999-2000. Your best bet is to stay off base and let the AF pay for your rent. The villas are nice, I stayed at my buddy's house off base while I was there and made a lot of money. The area is nice, but I am Italian so i'm a little biased. Lickey was right contact your sponsor or someone in your work center at your new squadron. Good luck!

Time for BAH for come into play.

I was at Aviano almost 30 years ago, so my recollection of housing probably won't help much as a lot surely has changed. At that time, there was no base housing other than dorms for some of the singles. As B52 mentioned, one could make some money living off base depending on what one chose. Don't know if it's still there, but I lived in the 6-story apartment building out the back gate of Area 2 and had a great view of the town and the sunrise.

When you're there, you gotta check out the mountain highway back up in the Dolamites. The Romans built some stone trestles that were still in use when I was there.

You are fortunate to be going as a young man... older guys often do not do well with the battle of the bulge due to all the fantastic food!

Ahh, the days of $1.50 pizza, a strong dollar, and a round-trip train ride to Venice for $2! Viva La Reagan!!!

Thanks for all the advice keep it coming

Grady, we must have almost been "neighbors" back then. My wife and I were stationed at San Vito dei Normanni, near Brindisi Sep '78 - Mar 81. Brindisi is VERY southern Italy; back then it was a very depressed agricultural area and the major industry seemed to be burglary of American GI's homes.

We lived off base for two years of a 21/2 year tour because of base housing being in short supply. We rented off base in a village right on the Adriatic and our house was about two blocks from the sea. You're right about the food! I still remember the little restaurants we spent a lot of evenings at.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

M2
    We only spent one year out of ten on base housing during our numerous European assignments, and there were numerous reasons for it. I was deploying to Sarajevo and our landlords had sold the house and were willing to pay us to move. Also, our firstborn was just turning one, so being on base would have helped my wife considerably. It turned out to be a great move as this was the summer of 98, and after the Embassy bombings in Africa, the base was locked down and at least I knew she was safe!

Otherwise, we always lived off base in Europe. You get more out of your assignment that way. It's tougher living off-base, but it's well worth it! Absorb the culture and learn the language, and you'll come home with memories that will last a lifetime like we have!

And I am jealous! The one thing about retiring is that I know our chances of living overseas again are greatly diminished.

Cheers! M2

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Everything you need to know...

Aviano Air Base - Home

But since you won't get commissioned till May 2009, then 6 mos+ (not sure how long intel school is) for training, I wouldn't sign any leases yet as assignments (and the war needs) change. I suspect you won't make Aviano till Jan 2010

Rick

I am hoping to keep the Assignment but only time and the needs of the AF will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    Grady, we must have almost been "neighbors" back then. My wife and I were stationed at San Vito dei Normanni, near Brindisi Sep '78 - Mar 81. Brindisi is VERY southern Italy; back then it was a very depressed agricultural area and the major industry seemed to be burglary of American GI's homes.

We lived off base for two years of a 21/2 year tour because of base housing being in short supply. We rented off base in a village right on the Adriatic and our house was about two blocks from the sea. You're right about the food! I still remember the little restaurants we spent a lot of evenings at.
    My supervisor had traveled to San Vito on some missions, but I went to Rimini, Mt. Corna, and Decimomanno instead. Lots of good memories. The years have passed so quickly. I have good memories of the Adriatic, also.

XD45, I hope you get the assignment as well. If you do, I'm sure you'll want to travel a bit once you're there. I took some train trips up to Switzerland. The trips were cheap and the scenery was stunning. Fell asleep on the train once and almost ended up in France instead. Make sure you make the switch at Milan.

Lots of old-timers extended at Aviano, if that tells you anything.

Here's what we were told: 4 hours by tank from Yugoslavia, 26 minutes by jet to a Soviet airfield. I guess things have changed now.

I spent a week there in 1987, and it was a wonderful place. You are so lucky.
    Within easy reach is Venice, the Italian and swiss alps, and austria. Travel by rail all you can, it is great !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

The future wife has not been told I have orders to Italy yet Im going to make it a christmas present.

B52
    XD, you should tell her now...trust me. She needs to prepare for the big move too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links