First Line of Defense Against Terrorists

This is a discussion on First Line of Defense Against Terrorists within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I get uncomfortable with the public feelinmgs about their LEOs. I Served 30 years AD in USMC and I am coming up on 20 years ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I get uncomfortable with the public feelinmgs about their LEOs. I Served 30 years AD in USMC and I am coming up on 20 years service with the Tennessee State Guard ( a recognized and mandated State Defense Force, not a Militia) so I am not hardly a Uniform Service basher. The sad truth is that as stateside civilians our first line of defense against terrorists is going to be our local law enforcement agencies. The FBI and other Feds may gather info about the BGs but only the local department is going to stop them. In most of the European successes at stopping terrorists, and they have had more successes than us, has come through their local police. The military is not really in the business of protecting civilians here in the U.S. They aren't supposed to be in that job. If you believe the terrorist threat is real, pray that the police are straight and know how to do their job. Or prepare to be blown up!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

If it gets to that point the local police departments are not trained or equipped to deal with a terrorist threat,for instance they could set off a bomb on one side of town and guess where all the cops go code 3 lights and siren and FD trucks which would draw them in for another bomb or the terrorists then set one off on the other side of town and guess what the cops are running around like chickens with their heads cut off citizens are panicking and getting in wrecks trying to get away from any target areas then you take out communications and the cops can't even talk to each other to find out what's going on.It wouldn't be pretty,that's why the feds must be doing a pretty good job preventing cells from developing,but there is always the chance that a cell is completely covert gathering supplies and waiting to strike.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If it gets to that point the local police departments are not trained or equipped to deal with a terrorist threat,for instance they could set off a bomb on one side of town and guess where all the cops go code 3 lights and siren and FD trucks which would draw them in for another bomb or the terrorists then set one off on the other side of town and guess what the cops are running around like chickens with their heads cut off citizens are panicking and getting in wrecks trying to get away from any target areas then you take out communications and the cops can't even talk to each other to find out what's going on.It wouldn't be pretty,that's why the feds must be doing a pretty good job preventing cells from developing,but there is always the chance that a cell is completely covert gathering supplies and waiting to strike.
    Local law enforcement are not designed for this type of thing either. Plain and simple. City, county, and state police around these parts are not even on the same frequencies or channels (digital vs analog). Most of the local cops I've seen in public couldn't take a foot pursuit more than 100yds. PD's in a lot of areas are becoming more "hi-tech" and administrative in efforts. Forget the proactive approach...and slowly deteriorating reactive approach. It's an 8-5 job for most and our society has become complacent right down to the core. When it all comes right down to it we can only depend on or rely on ourselves, our worst fears, and our tactical practices to survive. Case in point....the LA riots. I won't even go to the Katrina ordeal. If the general American public is thinking they are protected in some form or other by the 'establishment' then they are seriously mistaken, and easily led to the slaughter. Look around you. We are weak...there is no objective....we are not ready. This is not intended to portray law enforcement in a dim light....it's just the facts to those who's eyes are wide open. Granted many of this nations police forces have trained and expect or are ready for such an act....but nothing like those countries in other parts of the world that see this type of violence day in and day out. They have made a concentrated effort and are on constant watch and yet the casualties are many. Sleeper cells within the US? Sure there are...don't kid yourself. It's just that we have concentrated our efforts into suppressing the general population rather than looking for any infiltration from the outside. May God Bless this great nation.

""Sleeper cells within the US? Sure there are...don't kid yourself. It's just that we have concentrated our efforts into suppressing the general population rather than looking for any infiltration from the outside. ""

So true.. There may be an ISLAMBERG closer to where you live than you think..

There's one about an hour from where I live.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    In some of my terrorist preparation and critical incident managment classes we learned and discussed many things just like this. Very scary stuff. Just tell me when and where.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I believe that at the first sign of terrorist activity our goverment will attempt to disarm the public. They will close those businesses where only "terrorist" get their weapons.
    I hate to say it but that is the way their minds work.

Michael

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Like it or not, the police are controlled by "The Powers That Be". The PTB (hat tip to Anne McCaffery) will protect themselves first, and think they can influence the leaders of organized gangs or power centers, ignoring the inconvenient fact that the people in charge of such groups only stay in power so long as they pander to the beliefs of the followers.

Any inconvenient agreements the leaders make with someone the rabble despises will result in the leader losing power.

I'm afraid that sometimes we will have to ignore the law in order to survive. (Does anyone think the Korean shop owners shooting the rioters in LA were not breaking the law?)

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Actually in may be the armed civilian that will become the first line of defense. It will be civilians targeted by the terrorists not out police. They will be after creating a FEAR factor and than economic destruction. How we react at the mall, football stadiums and airports will be critical. My 5 cents on the subject.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

European law enforcement is organized very different. Its more like our "state police". Local towns do not have their own police force. This makes coordination easier and its also easier to assign more manpower to trouble spots on relatively short notice. If you are living in a small town with a police force of 5, maybe 10 officers, then there is only so much they can do. I wish sometimes the US would adopt a similar system, but its unlikely to happen. In some towns I lived they couldn't even agree on who runs 911.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    European law enforcement is organized very different. Its more like our "state police". Local towns do not have their own police force. This makes coordination easier and its also easier to assign more manpower to trouble spots on relatively short notice. If you are living in a small town with a police force of 5, maybe 10 officers, then there is only so much they can do. I wish sometimes the US would adopt a similar system, but its unlikely to happen. In some towns I lived they couldn't even agree on who runs 911.
    I am more afraid of our own government than I am of terrorist. I want my cops to be local. I like the idea of being able to fire them when they screw up by becoming abusive.
    Federal and to a smaller extent state governments have a history of just transferring bad apples from on job to another. I want more control than that over my local police.

Michael

There's always the claim of sleeper cells in the U.S. I'm not saying it's false. I'm not saying it's true. I'm just wondering again, what are they waiting for?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Sure there are sleeper cells here. Always have been, always will be.
    One problem with sleeper agents is that if they are left to sleep too long some of them become disillusioned and either fail to activate when signaled or actually "come over" and betray their original organization.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Hard to be a "lean and mean" revolutionary with Dunken Donuts right around the corner.

The green terrorists are only able to maintain their fervor by engaging in periodic strikes, and their enablers, or "priests" or "Imams", are able to speak openly.

You are you own first line of defense against all goblins and nut-jobs, both foreign and domestic.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    You are you own first line of defense against all goblins and nut-jobs, both foreign and domestic.
    exactly. when you are in danger you will be the first responder. pay attention to your surroundings and have a basic flexible plan and enjoy. by the way happy ramadan.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links