Bad: NY cop slams woman on floor (Caught on tape) - Page 2

Bad: NY cop slams woman on floor (Caught on tape)

This is a discussion on Bad: NY cop slams woman on floor (Caught on tape) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's hard to believe that she was some sort of threat...Observe the LEOs present... they too were surprised of his actions......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It's hard to believe that she was some sort of threat...Observe the LEOs present... they too were surprised of his actions...

I wonder how long before the "the video doesn't show the whole thing" excuse is thrown in by the police. I'm sure he didn't know he was being recorded. No telling what his story would have been if there was no camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Having someone tell you that you have a small pee-pee is not a reason to attempt lethal force. I don't believe I'm overstating the case, since every time I've seen a face-plant, the intent was to put the individual in the ICU...
    Not sure what you mean here...LEOs take suspects down on a daily basis without putting anyone in an ICU. It appeared that the officer reached for her hands to perhaps turn her around and cuff her, then she apparently resisted. That right there earns you a takedown. Not a beating or intentional injury or a body slam, but certainly it earns you being taken to the ground and cuffed. Remember, a standard takedown is a control technique, not a punishment.

This particular takedown seems to have leaped over the line from control to punishment.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I am no big defender of police abuses: It does seem that he over reacted but we haven’t seen the whole tape.
    I don’t think the intent to hurt her was there but her safety didn’t seem to be on his mind either.

I don't necessarily paint this cop as a bad guy.

He just screwed up and overreacted. Probably realized it as soon as she hit the floor.

What his mind frame was before grabbing her, we don't know but common sense should have told him that he could get help from his fellow LEO's to take her down in a much "nicer" way.

She didn't appear to be a physical threat to anyone at that point.

Maybe he doesn't really have the temperament for the job.

She most likely will recover with the help of large stacks of cash from the city.

I bet that the charges were dismissed against her because of the abuse and not because she didn't do anything wrong.

I'm OK with her getting a big settlement because we must have deterrents from this sort of thing happening.

Most likely, if things had gone properly, she would have been arrested but not assaulted and the LEO in question would go on doing his job.

To me, its just a sad thing all around.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Damn
    I know this guy.
    Of course I lived in Yonkers for 25 years and I'm not very surprised.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member

And now you have the rest of the story

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Damn
    I know this guy.
    Of course I lived in Yonkers for 25 years and I'm not very surprised.

AFS
    So now we have the rest of the story. The guy (based on the above) was perhaps already a known loose cannon.

I don't know why it is, but it is my impression that this is fairly normative for NYC cops and perhaps too Yonkers.

Yet one more reason why I never go "home."

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Not sure what you mean here...LEOs take suspects down on a daily basis without putting anyone in an ICU. It appeared that the officer reached for her hands to perhaps turn her around and cuff her, then she apparently resisted. That right there earns you a takedown. Not a beating or intentional injury or a body slam, but certainly it earns you being taken to the ground and cuffed. Remember, a standard takedown is a control technique, not a punishment.

This particular takedown seems to have leaped over the line from control to punishment.
    Perhaps I've dropped more folks than the referenced officer, as an EMT, but I would be surprised. If one "levitates" someone, one damn well better be aware of 1) one's physical ability, 2) possible unintended consequences and 3) liability. I've bounced drunks hard,and never had this type of "issue." Landing someone on their face is not a take down, it also takes either intent or gross negligence, so... It's not like this is a 20 year vet and the statistical odds of making an oopsie caught up with him.

My reference to the insult is based on what appears to be the verbal exchange immediately before he lays on hands. Could be wrong, but it sure looks like he "went off."

VIP Member
    She looks totally uncoordinated. Why didn't she put up her hands or put a foot out to break her fall. She takes a swipe at him and he takes her down. But she looked, for lack of a better term, "goofy". A normal person would not have smashed their face on the floor like that. My guess is she has some type of medical issue. This guy was slightly over the line, and had some very bad luck with this lady flopping like a fish.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    She looks totally uncoordinated. Why didn't she put up her hands or put a foot out to break her fall. She takes a swipe at him and he takes her down. But she looked, for lack of a better term, "goofy". A normal person would not have smashed their face on the floor like that. My guess is she has some type of medical issue. This guy was slightly over the line, and had some very bad luck with this lady flopping like a fish.
    Maybe I didn't look at the video close enough or we saw different ones. It looked like to me that he had his arm around her whole body including her arms and she couldn't put one out to break ber fall. Even if she had been able to I doubt it would have done much good. I don't know what led up to this but I really don't think that is a proper takedown. If it is then the proceedure needs to change. He was more than slightly over the line and luck had little to do with it.

If she'd been able to put her arm out, she'd probably have a broken arm.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Maybe I didn't look at the video close enough or we saw different ones. It looked like to me that he had his arm around her whole body including her arms and she couldn't put one out to break ber fall.
    No both of her arms were free and at her side.

Which would indicate to me that she wasnít resisting at all!

After looking it over and seeing other posts like Rob27 and Ari Force Shooter I tend to think itís just another cop out of control.

"she appears like she was resistant and arguementative with the officer, but the bodyslam was way overkill. He had quite a few officers there to back him up. He could have easily detained her without an incedent. He actually lifted her off the ground. It's his bad luck she landed on her face. He is in a lot of trouble."

Agreed; to all of your points.
    God, country, family.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    another big problem is that IA gave him a pass the first time around. After it hit the fan they were going back to review it again. Idiots
    They should call their brothers in LA and find out what "under Federal Supervision" means. Because that's what's coming.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

not surprised in the least, considering where it took place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links