Defensive Carry banner

Bad: NY cop slams woman on floor (Caught on tape)

3K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  dukalmighty 
#1 ·
WBIR.com | Knoxville, TN | NY cop slams woman on tape

Yonkers, New York police officer has pleaded not guilty to a charge that he body-slammed an unarmed woman onto a tile floor, breaking her jaw.

Yonkers Officer Wayne Simoes entered the plea to charges that he violated the civil rights of the woman in an appearance in federal court on Wednesday.

If convicted, Officer Wayne Simoes could face up to 10 years in prison

Last week, U.S. Attorney Michael Garcia said Simoes' takedown of Irma Marquez on March 3, 2007, which was caught on video, amounted to assault.

The U.S. attorney said it violated her right against unreasonable force from a police officer. A federal civil rights lawsuit was filed on June 27 against Simoes, who arrested the 44-year-old home health aide after allegedly slamming her to the ground, leaving her unconscious.

The 38-year-old Simoes was freed on $300,000 bail in June after being charged with using excessive force against a woman at a restaurant.

Federal prosecutors said several officers responded to a call to assist an injured person at the restaurant. They said Marquez was leaning over the injured person when an officer moved her out of the way.

They said Simoes then grabbed her around the waist from behind, lifted her into the air and threw her on the floor, face down, before handcuffing her.

The violent attack, captured on surveillance video, resulted in the hospitalization of Marquez with a fractured jaw, concussion, two black eyes and facial lacerations, as well as bruises and swelling over her neck, torso and numerous other parts of her body, according to the complaint.

The videotape, which was reviewed by the Westchester County District Attorney Office's, clearly demonstrates the officer lifting Marquez off her feet and driving her face first into the ceramic tile floor of the restaurant where the incident occurred, the original complaint said.

The indictment said that Simoes slammed Marquez to the floor, then handcuffed and charged the unconscious and seriously injured woman with obstruction of governmental administration and disorderly conduct.

On May 9, 2007, a jury acquitted Marquez of all charges. If convicted, Simoes could face up to 10 years in prison and a fine of $250,000.

See less See more
#2 ·
Training with mannequins just gets boring after a while I'm sure. That looks really bad. Videos sometimes leave a lot to be desired, but I would say excessive force was at play here. Gosh that musta hurt!

#3 ·
I guess some guys (cop or not) can be real tough with little women...:rolleyes:.

His 'tougher' days are ahead of him...:blink:

#5 ·
That's why they don't want citizens in NY with the means to defend themselves could be a lot of cops walking around wondering if the next person they use excessive and unreasonable force against won't use self defense and stop them from continuing the attack,It's especially wonderfull how after seriously injuring her he arrested her and charged her to try to Cover his actions.Sad thing is this incident is not isolated and but for him being caught on surveillance would of been his word against hers .He sure didn't help the LEO image

#9 ·
I saw absolutely nothing on the video that required the use of force that so called police officer used against that woman he never faced her told her she was under arrest and she never raised a hand or attempted to resist in any way possible ,and you wanta hear his side,this has nothing to do with politics it has everything to do with a bully hiding behind a badge.The sad thing is even tho there was a battery committed in their presence his brother LEO's didn't arrest him for aggravated battery and the fact he was armed with a gun during that felonious assaault,I hope he likes prison cause any jury sees that video is gonna take about 5 min to deliberate

#8 ·
Since she was acquitted I guess the jury didn't think she did anything wrong. I don't think that will be the result of the body slamming leo however.

He will most likely learn a new form of body slamming after his conviction.

#11 ·
she appears like she was resistant and arguementative with the officer, but the bodyslam was way overkill. He had quite a few officers there to back him up. He could have easily detained her without an incedent. He actually lifted her off the ground. It's his bad luck she landed on her face. He is in a lot of trouble.

#15 ·
Having someone tell you that you have a small pee-pee is not a reason to attempt lethal force. I don't believe I'm overstating the case, since every time I've seen a face-plant, the intent was to put the individual in the ICU...

His attorney states, "What the video doesn't show is Simone's state of mind..."?!?! Anger, I suppose he means.

If Simone wants to inflict some "justice" he should have learned how to do it- you lead them along, with just enough edge to your voice and manner that the soon-to-be-thumped goes off, then "Ba-ham!"
'Tard.

#19 ·
I am no big defender of police abuses: It does seem that he over reacted but we haven’t seen the whole tape.
I don’t think the intent to hurt her was there but her safety didn’t seem to be on his mind either.

#20 ·
I don't necessarily paint this cop as a bad guy.

He just screwed up and overreacted. Probably realized it as soon as she hit the floor.

What his mind frame was before grabbing her, we don't know but common sense should have told him that he could get help from his fellow LEO's to take her down in a much "nicer" way.

She didn't appear to be a physical threat to anyone at that point.

Maybe he doesn't really have the temperament for the job.

She most likely will recover with the help of large stacks of cash from the city.

I bet that the charges were dismissed against her because of the abuse and not because she didn't do anything wrong.

I'm OK with her getting a big settlement because we must have deterrents from this sort of thing happening.

Most likely, if things had gone properly, she would have been arrested but not assaulted and the LEO in question would go on doing his job.

To me, its just a sad thing all around.

#22 ·
And now you have the rest of the story

So now we have the rest of the story. The guy (based on the above) was perhaps already a known loose cannon.

I don't know why it is, but it is my impression that this is fairly normative for NYC cops and perhaps too Yonkers.

Yet one more reason why I never go "home."

#24 ·
She looks totally uncoordinated. Why didn't she put up her hands or put a foot out to break her fall. She takes a swipe at him and he takes her down. But she looked, for lack of a better term, "goofy". A normal person would not have smashed their face on the floor like that. My guess is she has some type of medical issue. This guy was slightly over the line, and had some very bad luck with this lady flopping like a fish.

#25 ·
Maybe I didn't look at the video close enough or we saw different ones. It looked like to me that he had his arm around her whole body including her arms and she couldn't put one out to break ber fall. Even if she had been able to I doubt it would have done much good. I don't know what led up to this but I really don't think that is a proper takedown. If it is then the proceedure needs to change. He was more than slightly over the line and luck had little to do with it.

#28 ·
"she appears like she was resistant and arguementative with the officer, but the bodyslam was way overkill. He had quite a few officers there to back him up. He could have easily detained her without an incedent. He actually lifted her off the ground. It's his bad luck she landed on her face. He is in a lot of trouble."

Agreed; to all of your points.

#29 ·
another big problem is that IA gave him a pass the first time around. After it hit the fan they were going back to review it again. Idiots
They should call their brothers in LA and find out what "under Federal Supervision" means. Because that's what's coming.

AFS

#32 ·
Lets face It there are really good cops and there are a few loose cannons,the problem is due to liability issues the department will tend to backup the officers,sometimes reprimanding them internally etc. or reassigning,had the event not been caught on tape the Officers story would of been accepted.I can see her pull her arm away but we don't know what the verbal exchange was and there was another LEO within 5 feet, all he had to do was say hey give me a hand she's resisting.One more thing that we need to think about as CHL holders is if we ever use our weapon in self defense there may be a video that could result in this type of keyboard quarterbacking in a jury room

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.