Bad: NY cop slams woman on floor (Caught on tape)

This is a discussion on Bad: NY cop slams woman on floor (Caught on tape) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; WBIR.com | Knoxville, TN | NY cop slams woman on tape Yonkers, New York police officer has pleaded not guilty to a charge that he ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad: NY cop slams woman on floor (Caught on tape)

Bad: NY cop slams woman on floor (Caught on tape)

WBIR.com | Knoxville, TN | NY cop slams woman on tape

Yonkers, New York police officer has pleaded not guilty to a charge that he body-slammed an unarmed woman onto a tile floor, breaking her jaw.

Yonkers Officer Wayne Simoes entered the plea to charges that he violated the civil rights of the woman in an appearance in federal court on Wednesday.

If convicted, Officer Wayne Simoes could face up to 10 years in prison

Last week, U.S. Attorney Michael Garcia said Simoes' takedown of Irma Marquez on March 3, 2007, which was caught on video, amounted to assault.

The U.S. attorney said it violated her right against unreasonable force from a police officer. A federal civil rights lawsuit was filed on June 27 against Simoes, who arrested the 44-year-old home health aide after allegedly slamming her to the ground, leaving her unconscious.

The 38-year-old Simoes was freed on $300,000 bail in June after being charged with using excessive force against a woman at a restaurant.

Federal prosecutors said several officers responded to a call to assist an injured person at the restaurant. They said Marquez was leaning over the injured person when an officer moved her out of the way.

They said Simoes then grabbed her around the waist from behind, lifted her into the air and threw her on the floor, face down, before handcuffing her.

The violent attack, captured on surveillance video, resulted in the hospitalization of Marquez with a fractured jaw, concussion, two black eyes and facial lacerations, as well as bruises and swelling over her neck, torso and numerous other parts of her body, according to the complaint.

The videotape, which was reviewed by the Westchester County District Attorney Office's, clearly demonstrates the officer lifting Marquez off her feet and driving her face first into the ceramic tile floor of the restaurant where the incident occurred, the original complaint said.

The indictment said that Simoes slammed Marquez to the floor, then handcuffed and charged the unconscious and seriously injured woman with obstruction of governmental administration and disorderly conduct.

On May 9, 2007, a jury acquitted Marquez of all charges. If convicted, Simoes could face up to 10 years in prison and a fine of $250,000.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Training with mannequins just gets boring after a while I'm sure. That looks really bad. Videos sometimes leave a lot to be desired, but I would say excessive force was at play here. Gosh that musta hurt!

I guess some guys (cop or not) can be real tough with little women....

His 'tougher' days are ahead of him...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Money money money moooney mooney $$$$$$$$$

That's why they don't want citizens in NY with the means to defend themselves could be a lot of cops walking around wondering if the next person they use excessive and unreasonable force against won't use self defense and stop them from continuing the attack,It's especially wonderfull how after seriously injuring her he arrested her and charged her to try to Cover his actions.Sad thing is this incident is not isolated and but for him being caught on surveillance would of been his word against hers .He sure didn't help the LEO image
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I was wondering what 'his' side of it has to say. We aren't hearing his side?

The AG vs. the policeman, sounds political, which gives me reason to not believe any of it.

JC

Perhaps she disobeyed a "lawful order," eh?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Since she was acquitted I guess the jury didn't think she did anything wrong. I don't think that will be the result of the body slamming leo however.

He will most likely learn a new form of body slamming after his conviction.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by jmsstnr View Post

The AG vs. the policeman, sounds political, which gives me reason to not believe any of it.

JC
    I saw absolutely nothing on the video that required the use of force that so called police officer used against that woman he never faced her told her she was under arrest and she never raised a hand or attempted to resist in any way possible ,and you wanta hear his side,this has nothing to do with politics it has everything to do with a bully hiding behind a badge.The sad thing is even tho there was a battery committed in their presence his brother LEO's didn't arrest him for aggravated battery and the fact he was armed with a gun during that felonious assaault,I hope he likes prison cause any jury sees that video is gonna take about 5 min to deliberate
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by jmsstnr View Post

JC
    I can't think of anything he could say that would justify what I just saw on that video!! She certainly didn't appear armed, and certainly wasn't a physical threat to him, not enough to warrant that kind of response. He needs to go to prison and put in general population where he will be beaten to within an inch of his life every day.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

she appears like she was resistant and arguementative with the officer, but the bodyslam was way overkill. He had quite a few officers there to back him up. He could have easily detained her without an incedent. He actually lifted her off the ground. It's his bad luck she landed on her face. He is in a lot of trouble.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

"Damn she didn't look that lite"
    "Sorry ma'am for the face-plant"
    "Oh by the way your under arrest"
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    she appears like she was resistant and arguementative with the officer, but the bodyslam was way overkill.
    That's what I saw.

Looks like she earned a takedown, but I don't think that one was a departmentally approved one.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Looks like she earned a takedown, but I don't think that one was a departmentally approved one.
    Having someone tell you that you have a small pee-pee is not a reason to attempt lethal force. I don't believe I'm overstating the case, since every time I've seen a face-plant, the intent was to put the individual in the ICU...

His attorney states, "What the video doesn't show is Simone's state of mind..."?!?! Anger, I suppose he means.

If Simone wants to inflict some "justice" he should have learned how to do it- you lead them along, with just enough edge to your voice and manner that the soon-to-be-thumped goes off, then "Ba-ham!"
    'Tard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links