Defensive Carry banner

Accepted for Reserves

924 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  JAG45 
#1 ·
I am kind of excited, although I do not want to get my hopes too far up.

I applied for the local SO Reserves, and was told no problem, the Staff Serg. in charge of Reserves told me he would call me to let me know when the classes would start. That was back in February. Well, they were supposed to start in March. Something happened, no classes. Then it was supposed to happen again in August. Once again, no classes. I have received no word form them about further classes. I have a gut feeling that I was cut, but no contact was made about it.

So I applied for the local PD Reserves. :hand10: Well, they approved me, and said classes start Sept. 22. 2 nights per week, through November. :danceban: This is the town I grew up in, and have lived most of my life.

The thing is, the PD class is being instructed at the SO training area, with the SO reserves class.

I can't wait for the SO instructor to see me at the class, after not contacting me about their class, but I am not concerned.

I finally have my chance to do want I've wanted to do for so long. I tried with this department about 4 years ago, and was denied. The PD contact said he's sorry, but I will have to go through the class with 3 military guys. Don't know why he said he was sorry. I figure I am at somewhat of a disadvantage, having no military background, but I have age(37), and experience in the real world. That may not mean much, but to me it does. I have learned to be more level headed, than I ever was in youth.

I am happy!!:wave: I haven't told anyone locally about this.

Any suggestions for the next 20 some days? I know...Don't screw up now! And I have to start practicing shaving again. I have had facial hair for over 10 years. Started with a goatee, now it's a trimmed full beard. Everyone says I look like a kid without it!

I do hope to turn it into a full-time position in the future, just not right now. Although it may be sooner than I hope, as my current employment is quickly starting to struggle, and I personally cannot do much to help it recover. The economy is just too weak right now for what we do.

But seriously, anyone have any ideas of stuff I can be working on?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not a cop, and don't play one on TV...others will give plenty of advice.

I just wanted to say congrats...:congrats:...and prepare to meet some of your high school classmates.:image035::image035::image035:

Stay armed...study hard...stay safe!

#3 ·
I just wanted to say congrats...:congrats:...and prepare to meet some of your high school classmates.:image035::image035::image035:

Stay armed...study hard...stay safe!
I already know I'll see some of them.

Funny thing is.... some of my classmates are looking at retirement from these departments, and I am just looking to get started. :hand5:

#4 ·
Things to work on? If it is like other LEO training: running.

#12 ·
Amen to the running........Academy will teach you what they want you to know.....just relax and pay attention in class.....the SO reserves may not be getting enough applications to put on a class. :congrats:

#5 ·
It'll be almost all of the responsibility with no pay. There will be some calls we cannot respond to. But we will be sworn.

#10 ·
I'm sure I'll love it too. I have done many ride-alongs with this department. 2 of their Road Sergeants kept asking me to go reserve since I enjoyed it so much.

Put it this way...... I have done enough of them, that if I had already had the classes under my belt, I would have my own car, and be patrolling on my own. Too bad they didn't have any classes during my ride-along days.:frown:

I know a bunch of the guys and gals, and most of them seem to enjoy it. Their are some overly excited young guys, and some that you can tell are just there because they don't want to fill out another application for somewhere else so they just do enough to get by.

I have to do FTO for 200 hours to get my own car now. Guess after the classes and being sworn in, there will be alot of weekend shifts worked. :yup:

#11 ·
Congratulations, I just interviewed 3 applicants on the 28th.
And like you they all were excited.

Good luck and be safe.

PM me if you have any questions.

#13 ·
The local PD, that I am a reserve for, puts on a class at least once a year, sometimes twice. It is the only department nearby with enough certified instructors to run a full 164 hour reserve class.(Their class is 172 hour.) The local SO, and several of the rural counties SO's use these classes. Most of the time the class is made up of 12-20 students. Some 2-4 from the PD, and same from the county SO, and about the same from several other SO's, then 1 student from some of the small city departments.

As far as for cars at the PD after your probation time we use to be able to come and pick up one anytime one was not in use. But now due to the gas prices putting us over budget for the year, we will have to ride with a full time officer unless the shift is only running 2. (normal is 3 to 4 on a shift).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.