Big Brother

This is a discussion on Big Brother within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; MCALLEN - The McAllen police chief is working to add a technical neighborhood watch to the city. If all goes as planned, hundreds of surveillance ...

Thread: Big Brother

Big Brother

MCALLEN - The McAllen police chief is working to add a technical neighborhood watch to the city.

If all goes as planned, hundreds of surveillance cameras will be strategically placed around the city. A fiber-optic line will connect them all to the police department.

McAllen Police Chief Victor Rodriguez says, "We're trying to maximize infrastructure, use it to make McAllen a safer city, make us more effective, more efficient."

He tells us construction on the project should start by next summer.
    This is McAllen Texas it is located on South 281 Highway about 10 miles north of Mexico,I guess they have seen how well cameras work in England.I'm thinking this isn't gonne be a crime prevention device ,all it will do is possibly point out possible suspects.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Isn't Great Britain using that already for crime control?

It's working for them wonderfuly I hear........that's sarcasm
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I guess they need to find you before you commit the crime.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

JD
    Administrator
    Hey, it'll make for great evidence in court AFTER the crime has been committed.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Hey it creates a job........someone watching all those monitors.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    I guess they need to find you before you commit the crime.
    Reminds me of a Speilberg film, "Minority Report", in which they arrest a murdrerer BEFORE the crime was committed, because the knew for certain that he would do it!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Last year their cops were so underpaid they were leaving for jobs with other departments but they got money for cameras,must be federally funded
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Last year their cops were so underpaid they were leaving for jobs with other departments but they got money for cameras,must be federally funded
    Grant money.

McAllen Police Chief Victor Rodriguez says, "We're trying to maximize infrastructure ...
    Well, yeah. It's a taxpayer-funded organization. It's what such groups do.

Of course, this particular group (police) has a different, overriding purpose to its existence, unlike some: protection of the people.

I suppose the community members can only hope its not abused, but they can basically kiss good-bye their basic privacy at this point. I hope they end up feeling it's worthwhile. I can't help but thinking they're going down a dark road.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I was initially very very unhappy when the Brits started the camera surveillance stuff. I don't like it, wish it weren't done, and think it is somewhat intrusive and snoopy.

But, it has been pointed out that in a way it is no different from a beat cop walking around to see what is going on.

From this perspective, if cameras allow the "beat cop" to see more, know more, I don't have too much of a problem. If it improves the chances that young toughs won't congregate in front of store, a bus stop, I'm willing to look at the balance/payoff/risk and evaluate.

Now as you all know, I'm a pretty hard headed guy when it comes to civil liberties stuff. I fully understand the big daddy concerns. I certainly don't accept the argument that it is O.K. because I have nothing to hide.

Still, so long as the tapes aren't kept too long, aren't allowed to become public before a trial, I'm willing to let the cops have extra (or improved) eyes. In fact, the very same cameras might prevent police abuse--something many here concern themselves with.

It doesn't matter to me if they see that I just drove into the parking space in front of the local hardware store--or saw me picking my nose. A cop walking the street would see the same thing.

SO, I have sort of done a 180 switch on how I feel about these things. By themselves they aren't evil. We certainly do need to be vigilant and hold our police chiefs, cops, mayors, and city managers accountable for any funny stuff which might happen with the images.

In a country as overpopulated as ours, with as large an underclass "addicted" to criminal behavior, this is not all that bad an idea.

(I've probably posted something just the opposite on the same subject here at some time. This is how I feel about it right now. Might change my mind again.)

Links