Bringing Weapons on a Military Installation

This is a discussion on Bringing Weapons on a Military Installation within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 Not any more...most of these "regs"--now called "instructions" --are posted online on the base's intranet. The CBPO is no more Yeah, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bringing Weapons on a Military Installation

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Not any more...most of these "regs"--now called "instructions"--are posted online on the base's intranet. The CBPO is no more
    Yeah, I referred to both; "regs" and "base instructions"
    Since the OP we have done some research. We found the over arching ruleset: AFI 31-101 Air Force Istallation Security Program. This AFI is an outline to guide the base to craft their own Base Instruction. I didn't bring home the sections that we printed relevant to this post but much like our FL statutes the language was very pro gun and makes it clear that the local policy should be as loosely restrictive as necessary. I'd like to share the volume but there are no current versions (that we found) available on the WWW. It is FOUO and maintained on the SIPR Net (Secret) due to increase security posture as previously stated here. The problem is the base has no corresponding instruction regarding weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    Here on Tyndall ....

Have any questions just ask. I work on Tyndall and I am not about to 1. get arrested 2. Loose my job over not knowing a rule.
    Like many here we have well in excess of a few centurys of combined military experience and similar experiences. Rod and Gun Clubs, etc... Most, if not all are retired or former military. Like KG4ZRC we DO NO want to; 1 get arrested, 2 lose job, and 3 lose clearances (see no. 2).

After getting our research in order and advice from counsel I will go meet with the JAG office. All of the other avenues mentioned here have failed (multiple answers, no paper). Generally, in the absence of a prohibition it something is allowed. Too many sheepish answers, no paper backup, and too much to lose. Thanks for the feedback and any additional avenues please throw 'em there.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

rolyat63,

I don't know what military installation it is that you're speaking of, to be specific. If it is McDill AFB you're speaking of, I have carried to Tampa before and it was after 9/11. I had reservations on the base and was told by the front gate to go directly to security/police and carry my pistol unloaded and encased inside to armory for safekeeping. It was painless and quick, handled very well by the SP/security. I was told to pick it up as I was leaving the base. I would think that you would be able to transfer it to the armory for safekeeping if it was an occasional thing and not an everyday occurence. This was in '04 or '05 though and security arrangements may be quite different now. I believe I was told that you can't even drive close to the security buiding anymore whereas I parked in their parking lot.
    What has the people that run the shotgun/skeet range told you? Or you could find out who is in charge of base security and call or make an appointment to speak with him/her.
    By the way, when I was on personal travel to/thru Charleston AFB, I notified police at the front gate also. They were a little more nervous about the situation and after looking at my pistol which I had already unloaded and had encased in a small safe in my trunk, they followed me to their security building and walked me in where I then transferred it to armory for safekeeping. Also picked it as I was leaving the base.

Let us know how things go. Good luck.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    rolyat63,

I don't know what military installation it is that you're speaking of, to be specific. If it is McDill AFB you're speaking of, I have carried to Tampa before and it was after 9/11. I had reservations on the base and was told by the front gate to go directly to security/police and carry my pistol unloaded and encased inside to armory for safekeeping. It was painless and quick, handled very well by the SP/security. I was told to pick it up as I was leaving the base. I would think that you would be able to transfer it to the armory for safekeeping if it was an occasional thing and not an everyday occurence. This was in '04 or '05 though and security arrangements may be quite different now. I believe I was told that you can't even drive close to the security buiding anymore whereas I parked in their parking lot.
    What has the people that run the shotgun/skeet range told you? Or you could find out who is in charge of base security and call or make an appointment to speak with him/her.
    By the way, when I was on personal travel to/thru Charleston AFB, I notified police at the front gate also. They were a little more nervous about the situation and after looking at my pistol which I had already unloaded and had encased in a small safe in my trunk, they followed me to their security building and walked me in where I then transferred it to armory for safekeeping. Also picked it as I was leaving the base.

Let us know how things go. Good luck.
    Thanks for the input. You hit it on the head. We have been try the wickets mentioned before and once we get the finished with the research we will go the route of Head LE and/or JAG. One the hurdles is that the AFI gives latitude for either the base or a MAJCOM to publish the Inst. So, we have to gleen through the base (6AMW), SOCOM and CENTCOM Instructions. Someone earlier posted a suggestion to seek out a skeet range shooter and inquire. One sits in the adjacent cubie. His response was like many on here but with the many different replies we've gotten and support paper, I'm gonna get a read from the head shed. Maybe the skycops that were here back then are now at CAFB

BTW, P7fanatic when you had reservations at MacDill were you on orders or personal travel? Just to be sure if you were on orders did they include weapons?
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

The Nellis AFB armory is full so they cannot store your weapons there. We are allowed to keep them at home if we live on base. If you're not going to the base range and don't live on base, you're pretty much screwed. You'll have to go home and drop it off.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

The only time you should be required to store your weapons at the armory while you live on base is if you lived in the barracks/dorms. If you live in family housing you are technically required to have them registered with the base but can keep them in housing.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    The only time you should be required to store your weapons at the armory while you live on base is if you lived in the barracks/dorms. If you live in family housing you are technically required to have them registered with the base but can keep them in housing.

YMMV
    Technically and legally...failure to do so will result in Art 15/UCMJ action
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

We were required to declare all handguns to our CO & 1st SGT and leave the weapons in our Company Armory. When going to the range we would then sign out our own weapons from the Armory Sgt.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Technically and legally...failure to do so will result in Art 15/UCMJ action
    Like I said, technically. Doesn't mean everyone does. My own dad didn't register his guns while living on base. Neither did his best friend at the time. And I am sure there were others...

For those of you living on a military installation, I am not saying to not register your weapons with the armory. That is something you must abide by for the right to live in base housing.

With over 20 years active duty (retired 1984), it still amazes me how the US Military will hand you an M-16 but you can't keep your AR-15 on base unless you are married and live in other than BAQ/BOQ. Terrorists could attack most any base without fear of reprisal from the vast majority of the personnel stationed there as they are largely unarmed. Uncle Sam is almost as anti-gun as the Brady bunch. Sux, don't it.
    Life is too short to be serious!

Quote Originally Posted by MSGTTBAR View Post
    With over 20 years active duty (retired 1984), it still amazes me how the US Military will hand you an M-16 but you can't keep your AR-15 on base unless you are married and live in other than BAQ/BOQ. Terrorists could attack most any base without fear of reprisal from the vast majority of the personnel stationed there as they are largely unarmed. Uncle Sam is almost as anti-gun as the Brady bunch. Sux, don't it.
    Preach on brother. I've been saying that forever.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Ft. Sill, OK requires that all guns used for hunting or shooting on post be registered. Guns are registered at the same place where vehicles are registered. The registration form must be carried in any vehicle that has a gun aboard. If the vehicle is checked at the gate and an unregistered gun is found the driver must turn around.

Concealed carry on Army posts is prohibited.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    BTW, P7fanatic when you had reservations at MacDill were you on orders or personal travel? Just to be sure if you were on orders did they include weapons?

I was active duty at the time but it was simply personal travel to Tampa with the family to take the kids to Busch Gardens. Best place to stay though is at McDill.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Every base at which I was ever stationed had recreational shooting ranges. Rifle/pistol, skeet/trap, heck archery..... I've prob seen thousands of recreational shooters carrying their weapons to and from those ranges in their POV's. I can't imagine how anyone could interpret doing so as forbidden.

Regardless though, your base regs should address the subject. I imagine that there is likely a requirement for the weapons to be unloaded and cased during transport, but I'd bet a paycheck that there's no problem with doing so.
    That's right there is a Base order on the subject and will cover legal transport of guns. It will require registration of each and every gun and dictate who can register and posses guns. Probably just personnel living or employed by the base including civil service and guests for special purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    That's right there is a Base order on the subject and will cover legal transport of guns. It will require registration of each and every gun and dictate who can register and posses guns. Probably just personnel living or employed by the base including civil service and guests for special purposes.

Cherry Point?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Cherry Point?
    Yeah, it sucked me in 5 times and then Clean went to work for NMCRS so I retired here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links