Deputy shoots himself in leg - Page 2

Deputy shoots himself in leg

This is a discussion on Deputy shoots himself in leg within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Revolvers don't just go bang....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Deputy shoots himself in leg

  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Where ever the government says go
    Posts
    1,777
    Revolvers don't just go bang.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911


    If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words


  2. #17
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,888
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I feel for the cop but the facts are that he screwed up.

    Maybe he did bump something; or fumbled the pickup but the fact remains that he did not act with the appropriate care.

    If he had, the worst that would happen would be that the gun would have discharged while not pointing at a body part.

    His first thought should have been "I don't know about this gun; it may be defective and be easy to discharge. I must be EXTRA careful".

    I don't feel any better.
    Again, "Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do the job."

    You say the fact is, but we don't have any facts. It could turn out that he did everything wrong, or it could turn out that he did everything as carefully as he knew how.

    If we apply the very same logic and principles to driving, we would expect no more vehicle accidents.

    There's little to be gained if anything, by slamming every person that has a gun accident. If the slamming improved something that'd be one thing but a bunch on the forum yapping about what a duffus, etc. somebody is doesn't change anything.

    I think we all know something went wrong, we don't know the details and even if we did, and I've said this before, for us to openly berate a fellow gun person, esp. over the internet, just gives fuel to the antis. They can point to such posts and say, "See even the gun enthusiasts recognize that people don't know how to handle guns safely."

    We do ourselves no positive service with such remarks and attitudes. Some seem to think that if we whip 'em bad enough publicly it somehow protects us - it doesn't. It really is us turning on us.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

  3. #18
    Senior Member Array PaulG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Again, "Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do the job."

    You say the fact is, but we don't have any facts. It could turn out that he did everything wrong, or it could turn out that he did everything as carefully as he knew how.

    If we apply the very same logic and principles to driving, we would expect no more vehicle accidents.

    There's little to be gained if anything, by slamming every person that has a gun accident. If the slamming improved something that'd be one thing but a bunch on the forum yapping about what a duffus, etc. somebody is doesn't change anything.

    I think we all know something went wrong, we don't know the details and even if we did, and I've said this before, for us to openly berate a fellow gun person, esp. over the internet, just gives fuel to the antis. They can point to such posts and say, "See even the gun enthusiasts recognize that people don't know how to handle guns safely."

    We do ourselves no positive service with such remarks and attitudes. Some seem to think that if we whip 'em bad enough publicly it somehow protects us - it doesn't. It really is us turning on us.
    OK. I will concede that we don't KNOW the facts.

    For all we know, the LEO might have been in Vegas at the time and the gun was actually handled by the owners maid.

    I still stand by my original point but I will modify the wording for correctness.

    IF the LEO did pick up the gun and IF it did discharge without anyone else being involved with touching it, I still say he screwed up. He violated several safety rules.

    IF he didn't handle the gun, this comment is null and void (and unenforceble ).

    I'm not trying to slam anyone, but I'm not going to try to put a progun spin on it either.

    I think the point of discussing this is to make sure we all keep in mind that these things can happen to anyone, so we need to make sure we are completely focused whenever we handle a firearm.

    Your turn.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

  4. #19
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,886
    Oops, someone put their finger where it shouldn't have been, is what it sounds like to me, but as others have said, we can't be for sure. The gun may have been piled in the trunk with a bunch of crap, and while the LEO was moving stuff to find the gun, a pencil or something may have activated the trigger without him actually even touching the gun itself. We just don't know. The OP doesn't say that the LEO even picked up the gun, just that when he went to remove it.

    That however will not keep me from turning over my firearm if asked by a LEO, because that is what the law is. It will be turned over with the safety on. So far, none of them have even asked where it is much less to take control of it while I was engaged with them.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  5. #20
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,891

    Oh I Agree W/ You Folks

    Just correcting the forum record that every time a revolver (in general) goes bang...it may NOT be because a person had a finger on the trigger. I should have been more clear on that.
    And S&W certainly is a high quality revolver maker but, a cocked S&W that has accumulated hard sand/grit or debris in the lockwork or is in serious disrepair can easily malf in a cocked condition.


    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    And that would still mean he had the barrel pointed at his leg
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    OP states Smith and Wesson. Not a POS. Still never seen one "just go off".
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  6. #21
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,888
    PaulG,
    I certainly appreciate the wisdom of reminding others this can happen; it never hurts to be reminded of that, but you had what four IFs in your scenario all of which or none of which may be true.

    I wasn't putting a pro-gun spin on anything, quite the opposite. It's about not condeming a LEO for an accident we didn't witness and know very little about. It should come as no surprise whatsoever that cops and civies mishandle guns; we know they do.

    Maybe he did do something wrong, or maybe he was doing everything he knew to do. Maybe he needed more training as most LEOs do. But since we can only speculate, it's equally valid to say that it's highly unlikely that this cop just thoughtlessly grabbed this gun, paid no attention to the muzzle direction, paid no attention to what he was doing with the trigger, put his finger in the trigger, and pulled a long heavy DA trigger to the point it discharged.

    Some will never have an accident with a firearm; but it is totally impossible that all will not have an accident. I know one LEO that had three unintentional discharges and admits that they were his fault. Know who it was? Jim Cirilllo!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

  7. #22
    Senior Member Array PaulG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,126
    Tangle -

    I agree that this is all speculation.

    Since we are not a court of law, I don't think we need to worry about innocent until proven guilty.

    It Sounds like he messed up. Maybe he didn't. But I don't think we are damaging anything by putting our opinions forth.

    I don't think the anti's will make any mileage from our discussion. They don't usually rant and rave when a LEO has a ND - only with a citizen does.

    For the LEO's sake, I honestly hope that the gun was defective and discharged when he approached the car.

    I am betting that he screwed up. If I am proven wrong on this, I'll buy you a steak dinner next time you are in Northern VA or I get to TN.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

  8. #23
    Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Texan in NWFlorida
    Posts
    1,588

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Really you cannot just make a blanket statement in a scenario like this.
    It is likely that the revolver was cocked.
    Yeah, so?
    First place, if the gun was locked up in her car, why did he retrieve it instead of leaving it alone?
    Second, if you pick up a gun, check to see if it's cocked and at the very least 'DO NOT' point it at anything you do not want to shoot.
    Third, got to admit, it would have seemed funny if he had shot himself in the 'Foote'.

    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

    "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

    GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

  9. #24
    Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Yeah, so?
    First place, if the gun was locked up in her car, why did he retrieve it instead of leaving it alone?
    Second, if you pick up a gun, check to see if it's cocked and at the very least 'DO NOT' point it at anything you do not want to shoot.
    Third, got to admit, it would have seemed funny if he had shot himself in the 'Foote'.

    Hummm...domestic disturbance...maybe he wanted to check the firearm numbers to see if stolen...

    Flashlight surely would of helped (the article doesn't say what time of day or if he used one) and he more than likely caught the trigger on something or....and here is the good one...the trigger was tied to a sting as a precurser to someone taking it from the trunk. One final thought...don't think there is a person here or more than likely never noticed that there has been a time in their life when handling a gun, they momentarily pointed at a foot or leg...

    Rick

  10. #25
    Senior Member Array ICTsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    911
    I get the feeling that if the article was "Car salesman shoots self in leg", or "Carjacker shoots......" we'd be suggesting everyone leave a revolver in their trunk.

  11. #26
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,888
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Hummm...domestic disturbance...maybe he wanted to check the firearm numbers to see if stolen...

    Flashlight surely would of helped (the article doesn't say what time of day or if he used one) and he more than likely caught the trigger on something or....and here is the good one...the trigger was tied to a sting as a precurser to someone taking it from the trunk. One final thought...don't think there is a person here or more than likely never noticed that there has been a time in their life when handling a gun, they momentarily pointed at a foot or leg...

    Rick
    +1.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

  12. #27
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,888
    PaulG,
    As I've posted several times, he may have done something unwise, then again where's the wisdom of speculating on something we know little about?

    I think we all see the possibility that he could have simply mishandled the revolver, but as I said before, this is what would be required: he was paying little attention to handling the gun; he didn't notice that his finger was on the trigger; he didn't realize the muzzle was pointed at his leg, and he didn't realize he was pulling the long, heavy DA trigger on a revolver to the point of discharge. That just seems a unlikely to me, but anything is possible.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

  13. #28
    Member Array jdivence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    363
    My neighbor shot himself in the leg while twirling his .22 revolver like he was John Wayne. I do not wish that on anyone but that is exactly why we have safety rules.

  14. #29
    Member Array Rusty Bouquett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    415
    Since I moved to the Modesto area in '87 there've been several instances of police officers mishandling firearms. In one case a handcuffed person was shot and in another an officer lost his leg at the gun range when another officer mishandled a rifle. You don't get a pass on gun safety just because you wear the badge AND we all need to remember that it could happen to any of us with just a short lapse of caution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Suspect shoots at deputy, wrecks, flees, closes I-5 in Snohomish County, WA
    By RemMod597 in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
  2. Home Invader Shoots Woman - Homeowner Shoots Intruder First
    By skot in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
  3. Deputy shoots homeowner, following home invasion aftermath
    By ppkheat in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: October 17th, 2008, 07:09 PM
  4. Cops: Deputy Shoots, Kills Man With Knives at California Court
    By deadeye72 in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM
  5. Off Duty Deputy wounded, shoots 2 in burglary gone bad
    By MattInFla in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: January 18th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Search tags for this page

deputy shoots himself in the leg

,

homeland security shoots self in leg

,

tennessee deputy shoots self school

,

tn deputy accidentally shoots self

Click on a term to search for related topics.