Defensive Carry banner

Remembering Sept. 10th and 11th 2001: MERGED

3K views 42 replies 31 participants last post by  farronwolf 
#1 ·
September 10th, 2001, the last normal day before our world changed.
September 11th, 2001; patriots will never forget.

See less See more
#3 ·
Never forget....I can't believe Sept 11 hasn't been deemed a national holiday yet. I guess the powers that be think it's too close to labor day? There is no comparison far as I'm concerned.

May God Bless America always.

#5 ·
Never forget....I can't believe Sept 11 hasn't been deemed a national holiday yet.
9/11 should never be a holiday. I can't think of anything more disrespectful than to drink beer, barbecue and party on a day of infamy. People remember 12/7 without a day off from work...

May God Bless America always.
Amen

#9 ·
My brother called 20 seconds after first plane hit. Co-workers wife was in Empire State Building watching out the windows when both planes hit. Other brother spent the next few weeks placing body parts into 5 gallon pails. My Brother-In-Law directing traffic over Brooklyn Bridge and was watching people jump from windows holding hands. Bad day for NY.

#10 ·
On the eve of another 9-11-01 Anniversary...

I would like to take a moment to remember all the Law enforcement officers, Firefighters and citizens who lost their lives on 9-11-01.
So many individual acts of heroism came out of this tragic event.
You folks made me proud to be an American!! We will NEVER FORGET YOU!!!
My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the surviving family members.
God Bless the USA!!!

#20 ·
I would like to take a moment to remember all the Law enforcement officers, Firefighters and citizens who lost their lives on 9-11-01.
So many individual acts of heroism came out of this tragic event.
You folks made me proud to be an American!! We will NEVER FORGET YOU!!!
My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the surviving family members.
God Bless the USA!!!
Amen

#11 ·
Hear Hear! A long day tomorrow, with a lot of memories and contemplation about the Greatness of the USA, and the Men and Women who serve!

#13 ·
Never have, never will. When I crawled out of bed and watched TV for a couple of hours went down to the gunshop for a Glock

#16 ·
I apologize now, I really don't mean to hijack this thread or lead it off-topic...

I used to work in Tower Two. I was supposed to be there that morning, to pick up some of my equipment before I moved out of NYS. Tomorrow, seven years later, I'll be talking to my wife's class of seven year olds, most of whom weren't even alive then, about Sept. 11th. Except I'm not allowed to talk about Sept. 11th because it might scare them, or their parents.

When did we become a country so scared of history that we can't teach our children the truth?

#18 ·
Today is garbage day, my girls have dance and cheerleading practice after school, and my youngest son has a follow up Doctors appointment. I have security/force protection training at work today.

I will celebrate this day. I will morn this day. I will remember this day's past event that changed our lives.

Good post calireserve.

I was stationed at Bangor Naval Sub Base in Washington state, across the country. One of my guys was on leave in NYC that day. He was in Jersy and witnessed it from just accross the river. Lost a shipmate in the Pentagon.

#19 ·
Etched in the minds of true Americans...9/11 will never be forgotten nor the group responsible.

Stay armed...stay vigilant...stay safe!

#21 ·

#22 ·
Not here... but the Miami Herald did.... It is not politically correct to remember it I guess.

#24 ·
9/11 - looking back

I remember what happened on that morning 7 years ago.

I remember the confusion, even in the break room of my office all the way over in Texas.

I remember the pain I felt for those who choose to jump, and the scars created by the images.

I remember the anger, the emotions stirring up within needing a place to be let out.

I remember crying out in wonder.

I remember the resolve of the First Responders, to not leave anyone lost.

I remember those in the Pentagon.

I remember those who stood up in United 93 and said "NO!", even to the death so that others would not have to die.

I remember President Bush's speech from Ground Zero, it moved me as it did many.

I remember the masses finally adding a flag to their door posts.

I remember a united Congress standing on the capital steps.

I remember the surge in enlistments of those who could serve and chose to stand on the wall.

I remember getting the call that a close friend died in Afghanistan.

I remember those who serve and those who have served.

I remember those who did this to us!

It has been 7 years, but every time I think about what happened on that day, in a place I have never been to, I feel like it just happened and it happened in my home. I feel like my friends and neighbors were killed, but I knew no one who was there.

This is not an even tot be volleyed like a political ball, it is an event that should have been turned in to good, that which was made for evil, for more than a single political season.

To all who have served and those who have lost, THANK YOU!

#30 ·
9/11 is undeniably memorable. I was less struck by the towers falling (not to under mind that tragedy) then by the passengers United Flight 93.

I was also moved on 9/12 or 9/13 when the UK parliament sang either our national anthum or God Bless Americia. I think our nation's founders would have been surprised by that.

12/7 is the day that lives in infamy IMO. Guess I'm a pessimist, I think this generations "Day that lives in Infamy" is yet to come.

As for a day off, forget it. Maybe a national day of service. But I would rather work on 9/11, just like those who died were doing. Just people living their lives.

...I remember the pain I felt for those who choose to jump, and the scars created by the images....
Terrible thing to see. I'm still speechless as I can not define the emotion I felt / feel when I watched, or think, about that moment.

#26 ·
#27 ·
Sadly, i witnessed them come down on that clear blue September day. I could see the smoke from my classroom in college. My father was supposed to meet a client in the 1st tower that morning, but canceled (thank God), but i know many who lost friends and family.

I'll never forget the silence in the air as all air traffic was grounded. The smell of burnt bodies and building material filled the subway lines. At night, Ground Zero was illuminated with a fiery red and orange glow. Fires still burning a month later. It looked like a war zone in lower Manhattan. National Guard on every corner. and eirie silence fought with a city that wanted to get back to "normal".

That week I was suppose to photograph the towers for a personal assignment. the last show i took of them was on August 18th, 2001. I regret not going to the top again. it was very hot, humid and the lines were long.

If you've ever been to the top of the towers, you would never forget how they swayed in the breeze ever so gently. I saw for miles on a clear day. Their silhouettes visible in the morning haze from 20 miles away. There was total silence on top. no hustle, no bustle...silence. I put my head on the glass and looked down... man i was high up!

A bottle of ash is all i have left...and some photos.

I had the privilege of being at ground zero on the 1 year anniversary. I was there before the crowds just watching. The sun rose above the buildings that once stood in their shadow. A hole was all that was left. I witnessed the emotion. the crying and wailing of victims and witnesses. It was a moving day.

My heart broke once again for those who's lives ended that day, and rejoiced for those who lived to see another day.

I worked for my colleges newspaper as the chief photographer, so i was at ground zero a lot. my work on this memorial has been published internationally....here are just a few....

ground zero...a few days later. you can still see the skeleton

An artist named Delavega drew this in chalk all over the city on the sidewalks on the one year aniversary.

This is what it looked like at ground zero one year to the day

approaching Manhattan early in the morning.

the crowds...crying...morning. sniffling was the common sound.

this photo (crappy) was taken just a few months after the towers fell and on the night they turned on the lights...

the sculpture that once sat in the square between towers 1 and 2 now rests in battery park

this cross was found standing upright amidst the wreckage. it still stands at ground zero today.

young girls..who possibly lost their FDNY father

Lower Manhattan from Brooklyn on the 3 year anniversary. Helicopter circles this hallowed ground and dropped paper into the lights.

this was taken on the 7/4/06.

#29 ·
That day was a tragedy for sure, and hopefully we will not forget those who lost their lives that day. Especially the police and firefighters who ran toward the towers that day when everyone else was running away.

But in the hype of this one day let us not forget all the other people in this country who have lost their lives to the terrorist who walk our streets daily. Those who have been victimized and their stories go untold and unheard of simply because it was not part of the national tragedy that 9/11 was.

Let us not forget the people in law enforcement and fire protection or other emergency responders who every day go to work and place their lives in danger to protect all of us. Those who rarely get a thank you or job well done, but continue to serve and make this a better and safer country for all.

#31 ·
9-11 as it happens is my birthday . I truly resent that some in our great nation seem to think that the danger has passed . Radical Islam , like inner city violence has a lot of " root causes " that will not be improved by throwing money at it since the money seems to stick to a few and benefit no one else. The thing we have to understand is that as long as the Arab/Persian nations remain destitute in spite of the oil revenues pouring inn we will have young people ready to end their lives for any financial benefit to their family. Sadam paid familys of homocide bombers for their lives and thusly some mis guided young folks prostituted themselves in the worst possible way ( even more dramatically than our elected representatives do running for office ) . While the Sauds and their support of a extreme Mahdra for children bear some blame, the real blame lies in the fact that a month's pay for us here would amount to several years income in many of the country's of islam . We must combat the terrs on several fronts at once , we must engage in nation building and support constitutional republics ( does iraq sound familiar to anyone here ? ) . We must also harden our hearts against those who would harm us ( There is a story about " Black Jack Pershing " in the Philippines ordering the sewing of dead " moro" terrorists into pig skins so they could not enter heaven . I have no idea if its true but is shows a level of commitment to " Win " that we dont have today ) . Now that i have rambled a bit I will bring it home in the sense that if you force me into shooting you i will not spend a lot of time worrying about your civil rights . If you want civil rights then act civil . If you come violently against me and mine i will react violently , i will kill you if it costs me my life . Yes violence begats violence so dont bring it to me because you wont like my response . America as a nation needs to remember that lesson .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.